“No running water for 3 days” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Montana de Fuego Resort & Spa

You added Hotel Montana de Fuego Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Hotel Montana de Fuego Resort & Spa
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Arenal Volcano National Park | 8 km west from La Fortuna downtown. On the way to the National Park., La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 824417, Costa Rica   |
Charleston, South Carolina
“No running water for 3 days”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

The hotel is beautiful and so is the surrounding area. My low rating does not come from the beautiful hotel or the nice tour guides or the baggage assistant, but from reception, management, and the condition of my rooms. The original room we were booked at was infested with ants and bugs, and the water was not working at all. The pipes burst that night and the water did not work for our 3 day stay period. Because of the bugs and a few broken things in our initial room, a few hours after check in we moved to another room. This room was supposed to have running water, but it would've been like trying to shower with a water gun (literally) that worked when it wanted to. From the very beginning reception told us that the water problem would be fixed within an hour. I called after several hours and I received the same response. This cycled continued throughout our entire stay. It was so stressful. I get enough stress with work, I did not wish to be stressed on my vacation. My girlfriend and I were not able to shower or use the jacuzzi in our room (which is about an extra $80 a night) for the full time period. It has been 3 weeks since our stay. The manager assured that I would receive a refund for the jacuzzi not working and I had to argue about a refund for the water not working. It has all been such a hassle and I have actually yet to receive a refund period. I do not recommend staying here, there are very many affordable 4 and 5 star hotels all along the Arenal area that are much more beautiful and have much better service to offer.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

The hotel was great, the complimentary buffet in the morning was delicious. The great thing about this hotel was the trips that they have right there for you. We did the horseback riding, which was great for the first time, but I won't be doing it again. We did the canopy tours, which was great, I would definitely do it again. The river float was AMAZING! We didn't see much wildlife which was a bust, but our guide knew everything about everything, and we stopped at a man named Peter's house, he was 100-years-old and it was the high light of our trip by far. If you do the river float ask to see Peter, they make you coffee and you can talk with him as much as you want, he loves to talk with the visitors. We didn't eat at the hotel for dinner, but there are some pretty good restaurants in the general area. Also the staff speaks pretty good English, so that was a plus. Parking in front of your private cabin is kind of a hassle, but nobody complains, and the hotel has free computers that have internet so i'm not complaining. The room itself was nothing to brag about, but there were English movie channels. Hope this helps!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Barcelona, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Although we were not very lucky with the weather, we enjoyed our two nights stay at Montaña de Fuego. The room (a junior suit) was spacious and clean with a very pleasant porch with direct views to the Volcano. The information and attention of the reception can be verymuch improved.
Don't miss the horse riding experience at the Hotel's stables.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

I still had a lovely stay, the grounds, services and facilities were all above average. The room itself just had a worn out, drab feel. I believe I was in cabin #5 if I remember correctly. Linens were worn, floorboards were rickety, furniture beat up. And the one wall between the cabins may as well be cardboard because you can hear your neighbor like they are in the room with you. Everything was clean and in working order though. And the view of the volcano couldn't be beat! I also loved waking up to the sound of howler monkeys! The food in the restaurant was wonderful for the 2 breakfasts and 2 dinners I had there. Laundry service was fast and priced better than some other hotels (it was more expensive than bringing it into town, but you expect to pay for convenience) I purchased a little spa package that included 2 days use of the volcanic mud & pools along with one dinner. It was only $20 and well worth it just for fun.

Room Tip: The rooms with the best view, front row to the volcano, seemed to be the oldest on site.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Fort Myers, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

This hotel near the Arenal Volcano was a lovely experience. Each room is a separate casita or cabin. Staff were friendly and helpful and speak perfect English or Spanish. The breakfast buffet is included and is consistently delicious. The dinner was not up to our expectations - very poor cuts of steak for $32 a plate, but when we complained they took the item off of our bill. Dinner is showy (flaming dishes) but the quality of meats leaves a lot to be desired. There are several pools and warmish spas including an area where you can paint yourself with warm mud and then go into the water. Our room was #232 and every morning I could brew fresh, delicious coffee and treat myself to two hours of birdwatching right off the back deck. There are no screens on the windows or doors so be prepared for some insect visitors, none harmful but a bit annoying. We saw toucans right on the property, large green parrots and too many other songbirds to mention. It is just 5-10 minutes from town, quiet, safe, charming and clean. There is internet access on site for those who can't do without it. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Get one that overlooks the valley behind which is a jungle of beautiful flora and fauna. Birdwatcher...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

Someone had broken into my room stealing about 600$ worth of items, the room I had was right next to the highway do it was an easy snatch and grab. The staff had been a part of it, Sergio the only man who had been in our room had called up his buddy's and broke into the room while we were out to dinner. This traumetized me and my family, and we were not able to sleep one wink that night. OVERALL THE STAFF IS CORRUPTED!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2012
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

My stay at this place was quite traumatic. My first day there, someone broke into my room and stole my clothing and electronics, same with my family member. I went to the front desk and they said that this is a rare occurrence. I went to the police station and they said that people have walked in the front door and stole the safe which holds electronics or valuables of others. Also they mentioned that they come in at night or when you're gone. The staff lies because when I went to the front desk to get a police officer they said that they close at four pm. I came back the next day and the other receptionist called the police at 7pm. Don't choose this place unless you want to get your stuff stolen. Stay away from room 264.

• Stayed July 2012

Been to Hotel Montana de Fuego Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!