“Best place in La Fortuna, but that's not saying much” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Fortuna

You added Hotel La Fortuna to your Saves list
Hotel La Fortuna
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 block south and 1 block east from La Fortuna Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 000, Costa Rica   |
Plantation, Florida
“Best place in La Fortuna, but that's not saying much”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2011

OK, first of all, I am SO glad that we only stayed here for one night. There was nothing overly offensive about the place, it was just that the hotel had SO much potential, and all they had to do was put in some minor efforts, and it would have been MUCH improved.

The room was clean, a decent size, working TV and A/C....but the bed was terribly uncomfortable and quite small. We had a small balcony that had an excellent view of the Volcano Arenal, I was confused as to why the bed was situated in the room the way it was. It could have easily been against the wall that would look over the volcano, but instead it was in a position that you could not just lay in bed and look. You had to stand to look at it....and for some odd reason there was no chair in the room. There was plenty of room for a chair.(I realize this chair thing may seem petty, but it was one of those things where it seemed like such an easy fix for an improvement)

I have to mention the shower situation. Indeed, they warned you about "not having any architectural barrier in the shower" and request that you use the shower curtain....but this was ridiculous! How was a flimsy curtain going to stop water from flowing all over the bathroom?! Perhaps if THE DRAIN WORKED there would not have been so much water on the floor. (another small effort to make a big improvement=buy some draino.)

There is not much to do in the town, just a bunch of souvenir shops, and a couple bars and restaurants. But the whole town basically shuts down before 10pm, so if you are looking to "party" make sure you buy a cooler full of _______ and bring it up to the room.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011

It was right downtown La Fortuna, whereas many of the other nicer hotels necessitated a taxi ride to go to the downtown area. The rooms were incredibly clean and really nice. The people who worked there were very helpful. You get a great breakfast included and free internet. If I went back, I wouldn't even think about staying anywhere else.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011

Stayed here with my intrepid tour group towards the end of 2010. Fab location. Especially when the clouds clear & you have a fantastic view of the volcano. Hotel is in an excellent location - close to everything. Staff friendly & helpful. Hotel clean as a new pin. Free internet & fast wi fi which was great. The food was fantastic - especially loved the wee touch that the mashed potato I had with my dinner was shaped like a volcano!! Room spotlessly clean - if I was to have one & only one complaint, we were in the room righ next to the stairwell & it was tiny compared to the rest of our groups large & lovely rooms - some even looking out over the volcano. We had no outside window - only a window to the atrium of the hotel. Bathroom was huge tho - almost as big as our room. I would highly recommend this hotel, one of the nicest we stayed in on our trip thro Central America.

• Stayed November 2010
CSquaredC2
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

La Fortuna was my first destination upon landing in Costa Rica and I stayed at Hotel La Fortuna for 4-nights. I had found a really good value, which included breakfast, so I wasn't sure what to expect in terms of quality.

Upon arrival at the hotel, I was immediately put at ease as I walked through the inviting lobby: bright, open, airy, modern, with a calming wood finish throughout. The hospitality of the front desk staff was top notch as I was greeted by name.

I was given a 2nd floor volcano-facing room with a small balcony and at first, I was initially a little disappointed I didn't get a higher floor so I could appreciate the views of Arenal Volcano. It turns out the 2nd floor view was amazing - unobstructed by any other buildings and I appreciated waking up looking out at the volcano every morning. The room was very clean, modern and simple. The bathroom consisted of a shower and had enough room to move around. The room also had AC, a TV and a desk. What the room did not have was an alarm clock and an iron.

Neither of which turned out to be an issue. The morning sun served as a natural alarm clock and right across the street was a local laundry. The women at the laundry ironed and washed clothes for pretty cheap. The two women I met during my trip didn't speak English so I had to get some translation help from the front desk - it turns out that asking to iron my shirt wasn't as easy as I thought!

The working staff was amazingly friendly, and I got a chance to get to know them fairly well during my stay. There were three of them that managed the front desk and the restaurant - and always seemed to be working at all hours - and with a smile. I spent some time in the lobby using the computer and hanging out so I used it as an opportunity to practice the little Spanish I knew.

The breakfast was good - it consisted of toast with some sort of tasty jam, fresh fruit and eggs. I had a car and parking was also not a problem.

The hotel is located right in town and you can walk around pretty easily. You're close to many places to eat including local soda's (diners), the town square, shopping, the bank and several grocery stores. I found that many of the places in town accepted US dollars in addition to the local currency, colones.

The value and cleanliness of the hotel, location, and especially superior staff, definitely warrant the 5-star rating. This isn't a resort by any means and if that is what you're looking for, then this isn't it. This is a perfect place to base yourself if you're visiting the Arenal area. Staying here actually enhanced my entire Costa Rica trip and if I ever find myself in the area again, I would stay here.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2010

We enjoyed our two nights as part of out Intrepid tour. It had a great bar and restaurant with very reasonable prices and was close to shops. We loved the laundry over the road and great Internet facilities.

• Stayed December 2010
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2010

I´m writing this from the hotel´s computer. I wanted to give you a review while the experience was fresh in my mind. The hotel is located right off the town center. The main restaurants and guide centers are right around the corner. I really like the room I am in but please understand that I don´t require much. The bathroom is big and clean. The room itself is spacious. The bed is comfy and the remote works. If I could change anything it would be the lack of chair in the room. Sometimes you want to sit in a chair for a second. (Note: It dawns on me that I never actually asked for a chair.)

There is a shelving system with hangers for your clothing. There is a television with numerous channels in English and Spanish that is suspended from the ceiling. The desk is nice but has no chair. The balcony has room for a few people to stand on (the rooms are non smoking so the balcony comes in handy is you need a drag). The AC works great. The establishment has its own restaurant and bar. There is a breakfast, as advertised, which consisted daily of bread and jam, eggs, fresh fruit and coffee.

Across the street from the hotel is a drop off laundry service that is very inexpensive. They dry shoes for 1000 colones or $2USD. You have no idea how much you will appreciate that service. What else? The staff is extremely friendly. Free wifi along with three computers in the lobby. The Interbus service will bring you directly to the door of the place from the airport in San Jose. Oh! Try to get a Volcano view room!!! If the darn clouds break, the view is breathtaking. Breathtaking. The neighborhood is quite safe. The stray dogs even look like puppies! Pura Vida!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
nyc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2010

I travelled through Costa Rica in February, 2010. We stayed here for 2 or 3 nights. The location is excellent- it is situated right in town. Around the corner, you can have authentic traditional and a cheap Costa Rican meal. Loved it. Loved the front desk, they are very accomodating and they do not try to 'sell' you in their tours. About a block away are lots of little shops set up where you can purchase a day trip/tour.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel La Fortuna? Share your experiences!