“Loved this place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Fortuna

Save Saved
You added Hotel La Fortuna to your Saves list
Hotel La Fortuna
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 block south and 1 block east from La Fortuna Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 000, Costa Rica   |
Miami, Florida
“Loved this place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

This hotel was everything I expected. It was basic but the staff was friendly and ready to assist in any which way possible. Manrique is the best concierge in the world. He assisted me and my gf's with everything we needed . The view was amazing and so was the area. A little quiet but safe. Go to the restaurant La Soda Hormiga cheap and awesome tasting food. Wake up early to have the bes view of the Volcano. I wish the bar would have been open. And do not book anything with Mercedes she lied to my gf's about the excursions offered and we paid extra for something we thought came with a meal and it did not. Book only with the Manrique or the owner she is a sweetheart . Free breakfast is not bad either. For the price you are getting a bargain

Room Tip: Rooms with view are the best
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

302 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Verona, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights, in a standard room without view. The room was a nice size, and the bathroom was spacious and clean. The air conditioner was a welcome break from the Costa Rican heat, but ours was rather loud; I'm a light sleeper so this was a problem for me. Breakfast was more than adequate: eggs with toast and a plate of tropical fruit, plus coffee and tea. You got enough of it that you were full, but the only thing I didn't like was that it was the same breakfast for everyone, everyday; there was no way to customize it. It made breakfast go a little quicker, I guess, but any more than 2 days would've been quite boring! Wonderful location; just two blocks from the bus stop and right near all the restaurants and shops of La Fortuna. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Lynnwood, Washington, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

The only good thing that I can say about this hotel is that the location was good. The beds are double or twin sized and about as comfortable as sleeping on a floor. Our roof leaked during a rain storm and we had to change rooms. We had a coffee maker but no cups (and there isn't anyone working the front desk from early evening until 6:00 AM) and the shower has no floor barrier so despite best intentions, the bathroom floor gets soaked. For the price paid, I can't help but think that there are better options available. There aren't really any amenities except free computer/internet usage in the lobby.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
new york
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I expected a little more from this hotel based on the reviews I read. I was pretty disappointed but then again, you get what you pay for. I'm a solo female traveler and booked this hotel because of its central location in town. It felt much more like a hostel than a moderately priced hotel. The rooms were very sparse and worn out looking. There's a sign in the room that says they change the sheets and towels daily but my sheets had the same stains the entire time I stayed there and those stains were there when I got there! Breakfast was very basic, but I guess that's what you get for a hotel that includes breakfast in the price. I wished I had splurged a little and spent my 2 nights in La Fortuna at a nicer place.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Norwalk, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Right outside your window you can see the volcano. The hotel is on a busy street which can get a lil loud but not to the point where it bothers you. The staff was really helpful. Mercedes really helped me with my transportation issue. Everyone is nice and the breakfast was great. Most definitely will stay again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Ypsilanti
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I spent four nights at Hotel La Fortuna in June 2013. This was my first trip to Costa Rica, so my travel agent chose this hotel for me, and it was a great choice. I'm a solo budget traveler who likes hotels where I can walk everywhere, and Hotel La Fortuna fit that bill. I had a "volcano view" room on the 4th floor, and I really enjoyed seeing the volcano (when it wasn't covered in clouds). The two front desk staff (a young man and young woman) were both very friendly and spoke great English. When the A/C in my first room wasn't working, they quickly moved me to another room. And that A/C was amazing! (Got down below 70 F!) The bed was firm but not hard; I slept well. Room was non-smoking and had no smell. Lighting was decent (better with the curtains open). There were plenty of electrical outlets. TV had lots of channels. I took advantage of the in-room safe (deposit of $10 for the key). The room was ensuite with plenty of hot water (not the greatest pressure, but fine), but it was just a shower with a curtain (no tub and not much of a water barrier). Breakfast was included and served from 7-9 am; it included coffee, a glass of orange juice, a fruit plate, and a freshly-cooked plate (toast with jam and scrambled eggs). Yum! Check-out time was noon. The wifi in my room was pretty good (worked 4 of the 5 days I was there), but they also have computers for guest use in the lobby. The room key is RFID, and the room has a deadbolt. They stored my luggage from when I checked out until my taxi arrived. The man at the front desk gave me great advice: taxi to the La Fortuna waterfall (since it's up a steep hill), then either walk or taxi back. (I took a taxi there and walked back, which was fun.) There was no verbal pressure to tip, only tip jars and tip envelopes.

This is a budget hotel, though, so there were some minor negatives. The hotel doesn't have a pool or restaurant (but there are plenty of places to eat nearby; I liked Taco's Serrano and La Hormiga). The sliding glass door/window in my room wouldn't close all the way. There was no closet in my room, only a clothing bar (with provided hangers) and a few shelves. It gets light early; the curtains do close, but the room doesn't get completely dark. The stairs are not lit well (so use the elevator). The room wasn't quiet, as it's near a busy street, but the A/C was enough white noise for me.

Overall, I had a great stay!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stayed here on our first night in La Fortuna after our ridiculously long bus ride. The staff here is so helpful and friendly and made us feel so at home here.

After enjoying their complimentary breakfast the next day, we made the mistake of leaving this place for a night for an all inclusive resort that was a $12 taxi ride away and $30 more expensive/night. We were so disappointed that we returned to Hotel La Fortuna for the remainder of our stay here. Having restaurants within walking distance was crucial since we didn't have a car and we ended up hanging with a few of the locals to catch a futbol game and a few drinks out while we were there.

El Salto (1.5 km mas or menos) and La Catarata (4 km) are both within walking distance from the hotel, too which make for great day trips.

We had a beautiful view of the volcano on the final day of our stay in La Fortuna as a large majority of the rooms face the volcano.

This place ROCKS. Trust.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel La Fortuna? Share your experiences!