“You get what you pay for...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Fortuna

You added Hotel La Fortuna to your Saves list
Hotel La Fortuna
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 block south and 1 block east from La Fortuna Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 000, Costa Rica   |
new york
“You get what you pay for...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I expected a little more from this hotel based on the reviews I read. I was pretty disappointed but then again, you get what you pay for. I'm a solo female traveler and booked this hotel because of its central location in town. It felt much more like a hostel than a moderately priced hotel. The rooms were very sparse and worn out looking. There's a sign in the room that says they change the sheets and towels daily but my sheets had the same stains the entire time I stayed there and those stains were there when I got there! Breakfast was very basic, but I guess that's what you get for a hotel that includes breakfast in the price. I wished I had splurged a little and spent my 2 nights in La Fortuna at a nicer place.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Norwalk, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Right outside your window you can see the volcano. The hotel is on a busy street which can get a lil loud but not to the point where it bothers you. The staff was really helpful. Mercedes really helped me with my transportation issue. Everyone is nice and the breakfast was great. Most definitely will stay again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Ypsilanti
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I spent four nights at Hotel La Fortuna in June 2013. This was my first trip to Costa Rica, so my travel agent chose this hotel for me, and it was a great choice. I'm a solo budget traveler who likes hotels where I can walk everywhere, and Hotel La Fortuna fit that bill. I had a "volcano view" room on the 4th floor, and I really enjoyed seeing the volcano (when it wasn't covered in clouds). The two front desk staff (a young man and young woman) were both very friendly and spoke great English. When the A/C in my first room wasn't working, they quickly moved me to another room. And that A/C was amazing! (Got down below 70 F!) The bed was firm but not hard; I slept well. Room was non-smoking and had no smell. Lighting was decent (better with the curtains open). There were plenty of electrical outlets. TV had lots of channels. I took advantage of the in-room safe (deposit of $10 for the key). The room was ensuite with plenty of hot water (not the greatest pressure, but fine), but it was just a shower with a curtain (no tub and not much of a water barrier). Breakfast was included and served from 7-9 am; it included coffee, a glass of orange juice, a fruit plate, and a freshly-cooked plate (toast with jam and scrambled eggs). Yum! Check-out time was noon. The wifi in my room was pretty good (worked 4 of the 5 days I was there), but they also have computers for guest use in the lobby. The room key is RFID, and the room has a deadbolt. They stored my luggage from when I checked out until my taxi arrived. The man at the front desk gave me great advice: taxi to the La Fortuna waterfall (since it's up a steep hill), then either walk or taxi back. (I took a taxi there and walked back, which was fun.) There was no verbal pressure to tip, only tip jars and tip envelopes.

This is a budget hotel, though, so there were some minor negatives. The hotel doesn't have a pool or restaurant (but there are plenty of places to eat nearby; I liked Taco's Serrano and La Hormiga). The sliding glass door/window in my room wouldn't close all the way. There was no closet in my room, only a clothing bar (with provided hangers) and a few shelves. It gets light early; the curtains do close, but the room doesn't get completely dark. The stairs are not lit well (so use the elevator). The room wasn't quiet, as it's near a busy street, but the A/C was enough white noise for me.

Overall, I had a great stay!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stayed here on our first night in La Fortuna after our ridiculously long bus ride. The staff here is so helpful and friendly and made us feel so at home here.

After enjoying their complimentary breakfast the next day, we made the mistake of leaving this place for a night for an all inclusive resort that was a $12 taxi ride away and $30 more expensive/night. We were so disappointed that we returned to Hotel La Fortuna for the remainder of our stay here. Having restaurants within walking distance was crucial since we didn't have a car and we ended up hanging with a few of the locals to catch a futbol game and a few drinks out while we were there.

El Salto (1.5 km mas or menos) and La Catarata (4 km) are both within walking distance from the hotel, too which make for great day trips.

We had a beautiful view of the volcano on the final day of our stay in La Fortuna as a large majority of the rooms face the volcano.

This place ROCKS. Trust.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

The English speaking staff is very welcoming and friendly, ready to help with any question.
The room was very spacious, clean and simple. It had A/C, hot water all day long and a safe.
The wifi is reasonable, the 3 computers at the lobby - extremely slow.
Breakfast was basic and okay for what I needed to start my day.
The location is nice - it is in the center of La Fortuna (walking distance from anything you might need) but not on the main street, so it is relatively quiet.
If you travel alone and/or want to meet other travelers, I am not sure if this is the best place. This place has a hotel vibe and not hostel - common area is limited and not inviting. For a good hostel I would recommend Arenal Hostel Resort where my friends stayed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for only one night but we had a nice clean room, cool A/C, great view of Volcan Arenal, walking distance to the bus station, and a yummy filling breakfast. I would recommend this hotel to couples, families, and groups.

• Stayed June 2013
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

In May 2013 with one night left to book for our trip to the La Fortuna area of Costa Rica (our other accomodation was not available for this night) I looked at several BnB's and small boutique hotels but couldn't find anything I liked. We had steered clear of traditional hotels but had to book the Hotel La Fortuna because there was no other alternative for the one night.
It turned out to be a good decision. We were greeted cheerfully right from the start. The hostess helped us with information about tours, restaurants, grocery stores and everything else we needed. For the first two hours after our arrival there was no air-conditioning and we didn't have to ask, we were supplied with a fan. The room was very clean and efficient with good hot water from the shower, suffient linens, extra pillows and tv. My only comment would be that there was no ice machine and the restaurant was only open for breakfast. Otherwise I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel La Fortuna? Share your experiences!