“A Great Stay!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Fortuna

Save Saved
You added Hotel La Fortuna to your Saves list
Hotel La Fortuna
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 block south and 1 block east from La Fortuna Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 000, Costa Rica   |
West Hollywood, CA
“A Great Stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I was traveling solo to Costa Rica and chose Hotel La Fortuna for its central location--I wanted to be in an area where I could walk to restaurants, shops, etc. but also get to Arenal easily. The hotel location is perfect, and there are a variety of good places to eat within easy walking distance. I felt incredibly safe walking at all hours of the day and night in La Fortuna and would not hesitate to recommend that to anyone visiting the small town.

I had a volcano view room with a balcony. I did not have any trouble with road noise and the room was perfect for my needs. A comfortable bed, clean throughout, and plenty of hot water. I would have liked a chair in the room to sit, but that is really the only issue. The A/C worked so well I got cold at night and had to turn it off. The balcony is merely a step-out one so lounging on it and admiring the volcano view is not an option. But the view was amazing. Breakfast is served with the room in the bar/cafe and it includes fruit, eggs, and toast plus coffee and juice. They are very attentive and the service was great each morning, and the food was good too.

The staff really made all the difference with the hotel. They helped me schedule my tours and transfers via shuttle without any problems. Being alone I had problems finding tours I could join, since they require a minimum of two people, but the staff worked tirelessly to help me by calling all of the local tour operators and arranging everything. They also look out for their guests, a big plus when traveling alone. I came home late from a tour as I stopped to eat and shop and the next day the regular day clerk told me he was worried that I had not returned at the scheduled time and before his shift ended.

Everyone was lovely at Hotel La Fortuna, and I would return to this hotel without any hesitation should I ever find myself in La Fortuna again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
HotelLaFortuna, Gerente at Hotel La Fortuna, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Kath, thank you so much for taking the time for writing this nice comment about our hotel and the service we offer to our visitors. Our objective is making our guests feel like home, and we feel so happy reading your comment, because it proves we are going on the right direction. We are taking your recommendation about adding a chair to the room, we will work on that to be better every day for our customers... You will be more than welcome in our hotel if you come back to La Fortuna some day... Best regards!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Winston Salem, NC USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I think this is the tallest building in town. Our room was on the fourth floor and had a great view of the volcano. Of course, you couldn't always see the volcano because of cloud cover, but that tends to come and go during the day. The hotel itself was fine. Nothing special, but clean and centrally located (a two block walk to the central park). We left our car parked at the curb in front of the hotel for 3 days and it was fine. Breakfast was included and was fruit, eggs, rice and beans and coffee and juice. Staff was friendly and helpful and spoke English. Prices were reasonable. All in all, a good place to stay while in Fortuna.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelLaFortuna, Director de Recepción at Hotel La Fortuna, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you, in the first place, for choosing our hotel for staying in La Fortuna and second, for taking the time to write this nice comment about our services. We just want to add that we have a big parking lot, exclusive for our clientes, and that way you can have your car safe. We really hope we can see you again in our hotel some day. Regards!
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Stayed in this hotel-if you want a volcanoes view room with balcony then expect the noise from the main road. I had a room at the rear so it was quiet but there also wasn't a window you could open so you relied on the AC. The view from the breakfast sitting area of the volcano is good and it is a nice area to sit located within walking distance of the town's restaurants

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
HotelLaFortuna, Front Office Manager at Hotel La Fortuna, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Hello Sue! We are sorry about the noise from the street but maybe that is the price we have to pay for having one of the best locations, right in the heart of La Fortuna downtown. We also want to comment you that we have different types of rooms: with windows, without them and with balconies too, as you mentioned. It is just a matter of choosing the one that you like. We really hope you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and it would be a pleasure to have you back some day. Regards!
Netanya, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

The hotel it's located excellent.
In addition to a very spacious & comfortable room and of course not to forget a very courteous staff always ready and willing to help, from my point of view it's a great value for money!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I'll make it short. Good location, clean, modern and pretty. Big bedrooms and bathrooms. Friendly and helpful staff. Fast internet connection. Good breakfast. Price is good. I stayed there more than 10 nights and I enjoyed it.

The only thing that is more a problem for them than us is that the air conditioner in my room the second time I went was leaking and was starting to do some damage to the wall.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room ask for 510, 410, 310 etc. You cannot open the window but there's an ai...
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

This old style hotel stands out as one of few high rise hotels in the town and therefore has the 'view' factor. However, it is strange that the rooms on the opposite side of building facing volcano do not have windows to the outside. We booked one of these economic rooms on the website but fortunately we were upgraded to a city view. This was fine since we did not spend much time in he room.
The room was basic, clean and bright with fast wifi. The included breakfast does not begin until seven but was crammed with tour groups..the few staff seemed to have difficulty coping with the demand resulting in delays..especially as many tours and pickups leave early. The location is convenient and other than the understaffing at breakfast, we have no complaints.

Room Tip: If you are on a budget, book the cheapest room on the website and they will upgrade it upon checkin.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed here for a few nights and were happy with this friendly, well run and spotlessly clean hotel. Our room on the 4th floor was quiet and had a great view of the volcano (once the clouds parted) - and the air con worked really well. The free breakfast of fruit, scrambled eggs and griddle cooked bread (not toast!) was ok, but we got bored of eating the same thing by day four and went to the rainforest cafe instead. The hotel's on-site bar & restaurant wasn't open when we stayed, but this wasn't a problem as there are many other options in town. La Parada and Lava Lounge were two of our favourites.

The location is great if you're travelling without a vehicle and there's an Adobe office right across the street if you want to rent one for a day like we did. Theres also a laundry and two small grocery stores opposite the hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel La Fortuna? Share your experiences!