“great hotel, central location, excellent staff!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Fortuna

Save Saved
You added Hotel La Fortuna to your Saves list
Hotel La Fortuna
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 block south and 1 block east from La Fortuna Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 000, Costa Rica   |
“great hotel, central location, excellent staff!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We stayed here during easter....no alcohol sales for the WHOLE country Thursday and Friday before easter. This hotel was very modern, simple and cozy. Right in the middle of the town at the base of the arenal volcano. We had a view of the volcano...AMAZING!!!! The staff was ultra friendly, spoke good English. Was eager to practice English, esp if you wanted to practice Spanish! Our air conditioner was leaking when we checked in, the next day we asked the housekeeper if it was supposed to do that since it was super humid and she said no, that someone would fix it. When we came back that night it was not leaking and was perfect for the rest of our stay! The hotel rooms have no phone, but it's only 5 floors so its easy to communicate with fellow travelers. Would recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to la fortuna.

Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

302 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Oahu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

This hotel was a very good, very basic place to stay. The staff was excellent, friendly, and helpful. The room was nice and clean. The lock on our sliding door was busted and didn't work, which was ok. But overall, a good place to stay. And even better that it was in the middle of downtown.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Grrr. I just wrote a long review and it disappeared! Anyhow, I stayed here for a week and had a room with a queen bed with the volcano view. The view was breathtaking, that alone was worth the money. The room was very clean and comfortable. The ac worked great and the tv had several channels (I think HBO). The staff was incredibly friendly and everyone went out of their way to help us with with anything we needed. Breakfast was included and was served from 7-9am. The restaurant is open air with a volcano view. It consisted of coffee, oj, fruit plate (banana, pineapple, guava), eggs and toast. I ate it everyday and it filled me up. I really liked it's location. I prefer to be in town rather than being stuck out at resorts. Sure, there is street noise but it did not bother me at all. La fortuna is a great little town and I liked the option of roaming around. There is a laundromat directly across the street and a couple grocery stores and sodas within a five minute walk. Overall, a lovely experience.

Room Tip: get the volcano view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I stayed here for a couple of days in early October.

The view was excellent! Arenal was close by and you could see the steam rising from the top. Amazing!

The room itself was basic and clean. The air conditioning worked, as did the shower and TV. Breakfast was included in the morning, and service was great.

When we checked out the front desk let us leave our bags there for the morning and kept them safe.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

I booked our CR travel back in May and found this hotel. The hotel staff all speak pretty good English and were extremely pleasant and gave excellent recommendations. The rooms were clean and had all the necessities we needed. It is right in town, and close to everything. In addition, the best restaurant (we think so) is less than a block away (Don Rufino's), and with decent prices. We would definitely come back to this hotel. If you want to stay in town, stay here ... oh yeah, also has A/C. :-)

• Stayed October 2012
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

The last time I was in the Arenal/Fortuna area, I stayed at the luxurious Arenal Springs, which was fabulous, but didn't allow me the luxury of being able to explore the lovely town of La Fortuna. This hotel was basic, but a great value, clean, friendly staff, and all that I needed in a hotel (comfortable bed, clean bathroom). The major plus was that the volcano took up the entire balcony view, which made staying at the hotel luxurious. The staff was more than friendly, especially our servers each morning who were there to greet us with a fresh cup of coffee, or anytime we left and came back to the hotel. If anything, I would go there for the excellent and super friendly service. As a bonus, the hotel is in prime location and every place is merely walkable blocks away. I'd definitely stay here again. :)

Room Tip: Higher floors have an amazing view of Arenal volcano, which I had the luxury of waking up to each mo...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
La Fortuna, Alajuela, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

For those of us who think.... a hotel is a place to sleep and don't need all the frills of the excessively expensive resorts near the volcano should really consider staying here. I lived here in La Fortuna for 9 months and wanted for my last week (I was teaching near here) I wanted to go on some tours and VACATION. I wasn't disappointed. The staff here is great. The hotel is way nicer than I expected and the staff are absolutely the best. I feel sad leaving La Fortuna but feel happy to have been in such a great place during my final time here. Seriously if you are budget minded..... this is the hotel to stay in.

Room Tip: For some it may be important to pay the extra fee to see Arenal. Usually the volcano is clouded ove...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hotel La Fortuna? Share your experiences!