“Amazing view, great value.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Fortuna

You added Hotel La Fortuna to your Saves list
Hotel La Fortuna
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 block south and 1 block east from La Fortuna Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica   |
Special Price
30% off room rate
Brooklyn, New York
“Amazing view, great value.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Grrr. I just wrote a long review and it disappeared! Anyhow, I stayed here for a week and had a room with a queen bed with the volcano view. The view was breathtaking, that alone was worth the money. The room was very clean and comfortable. The ac worked great and the tv had several channels (I think HBO). The staff was incredibly friendly and everyone went out of their way to help us with with anything we needed. Breakfast was included and was served from 7-9am. The restaurant is open air with a volcano view. It consisted of coffee, oj, fruit plate (banana, pineapple, guava), eggs and toast. I ate it everyday and it filled me up. I really liked it's location. I prefer to be in town rather than being stuck out at resorts. Sure, there is street noise but it did not bother me at all. La fortuna is a great little town and I liked the option of roaming around. There is a laundromat directly across the street and a couple grocery stores and sodas within a five minute walk. Overall, a lovely experience.

Room Tip: get the volcano view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I stayed here for a couple of days in early October.

The view was excellent! Arenal was close by and you could see the steam rising from the top. Amazing!

The room itself was basic and clean. The air conditioning worked, as did the shower and TV. Breakfast was included in the morning, and service was great.

When we checked out the front desk let us leave our bags there for the morning and kept them safe.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I booked our CR travel back in May and found this hotel. The hotel staff all speak pretty good English and were extremely pleasant and gave excellent recommendations. The rooms were clean and had all the necessities we needed. It is right in town, and close to everything. In addition, the best restaurant (we think so) is less than a block away (Don Rufino's), and with decent prices. We would definitely come back to this hotel. If you want to stay in town, stay here ... oh yeah, also has A/C. :-)

• Stayed October 2012
La Fortuna, Alajuela, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

For those of us who think.... a hotel is a place to sleep and don't need all the frills of the excessively expensive resorts near the volcano should really consider staying here. I lived here in La Fortuna for 9 months and wanted for my last week (I was teaching near here) I wanted to go on some tours and VACATION. I wasn't disappointed. The staff here is great. The hotel is way nicer than I expected and the staff are absolutely the best. I feel sad leaving La Fortuna but feel happy to have been in such a great place during my final time here. Seriously if you are budget minded..... this is the hotel to stay in.

Room Tip: For some it may be important to pay the extra fee to see Arenal. Usually the volcano is clouded ove...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

This isn't a "wow" hotel and it is pretty basic, but it is clean, located in the center of the action, the restaurant is good and the staff is friendly. If you are looking for a great budget hotel, this is a good option.

• Stayed October 2011
Huntington Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

I found this hotel from a special and was pleased overall with the room's cleanliness but more by the staff and their service. Centrally located to everything you need and having AC is a major bonus. Restaurant and bar are available downstairs.

Room Tip: You can ask for a view of Volcano Arenal as well.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Cahuita
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

This was my third trip to Arenal/Fortuna. Since I was travelling alone I decided to stay in town in order to be close to restaurants. I was pleasantly surprised by Hotel Fortuna considering the quality of the rooms and the low room rate (especially during low season). Enrique at the front desk was very helpful. I will definitely stay here my next trip to Fortuna.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo