“Good location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Fortuna

You added Hotel La Fortuna to your Saves list
Hotel La Fortuna
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 block south and 1 block east from La Fortuna Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 000, Costa Rica   |
Florida, USA
“Good location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

We stayed here for one night before moving to the other "resort" type hotel. The location is very good, right in the middle of everything. There's a laundry and a tiny grocery store ( for waters, snacks, ect...) right in front of the hotel. Staffs were very nice. Room was clean, we had a volcano view so that was a plus. Breakfast was very limited, but that was fine for me cause I don't eat breakfast anyway. The only negative thing is the bathroom shower, you have to be very careful when taking a shower or it will get flood. We had water all over our ROOM because I had my shower run too much and too long (?!), other than that,everything was nice. If all you need is a basic, clean hotel right downtown, this is it.
Note that all the excursions are out of town , if you book a tour, they will pick you up.

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

I stayed in this hotel at the end of March 2012. I thought this was a great hotel! Not a large room, but big enough for one person. The bathroom was also a decent size with a decent sized shower.
Location was great. Close to the main area of town, literally within minutes.
The lobby was an open air lobby, which was quite nice. At this time of year, it was quite hot in La Fortuna.
I did not have any issues with the water pressure or temperature in the shower. And I enjoy quite hot showers. Plenty of towels were available in the room.
You do have to pay extra for air conditioning. I found that I did not require air conditioning, note that I was on the 5th floor and was not directly facing the sun. I faced the back of the hotel.
The bed was comfortable enough. Not luxury, but good.
A TV is available in the room.
You can only connect to the wifi in the lobby, not from the room.
The breakfast was good. About USD$8. Many choices to choose from. However, it did seem to take quite a while to get the food.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Reno, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

We recently spent two nights st the Hotel La Fortuna which is in a small, tourist oriented town near the Arenal volcano. The hotel staff is one of the friendliest I have ever encountered in many years of traveling. The location is the center of town on a quiet side street. We asked for a volcano view room and got one on the top floor with a balcony and a great view with no extra charge. This was a last minute reservation made during "semana santa" which is a busy travel week for Costa Ricans. The room was above average (better sheets) than most of the 2 star hotels we have tried. The staff recommended a steak house at the corner called El Jardin Restaurant and it was a great experience. Although short on atmosphere, I had the best T-bone steak I have had in all of my visits to Costa Rica. The staff, again, was absolutely outstanding. Wow! This tourist town appears to know the secret to good service.

Room Tip: Ask for room with volcano view and extra pillows
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012 via mobile

Rooms are basic, but clean and comfortable. Beds were a bit firm. Room was hot initially but cooled down fairly quickly. We drove two cars and there is a place to park with a guard after 10pm. Breakfast was included in our room price as was WiFi access. Dinner was very good and the staff was outstanding.

We had a room on the second and third floors both facing the Arenal volcano and providing excellent views. Both of our rooms had a tiny balcony, enough to just stand outside the room.

The supermarket is a couple blocks away and an easy walk. Hint: Room did not include shampoo, so don't forget to bring some. Also, if you are going to go to any of the attractions in the area, most will pick up and drop you off from the hotel. If you ask the front desk to book an attraction for you, you can get a small discount.

Stayed April 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012 via mobile

Good value, close to the center of La Fortuna. The staff were generally helpful. I had a room with a sliding door & balcony, which also meant I had AC included. However, there were also rooms with no windows, and I believe in those rooms, AC was extra.

As mentioned by some others, the showers are wheelchair accessible = flat. Be careful with the shower curtain & you'll be fine.

My main complaint is actually the Wi-Fi. It is free in the lobby, but temperamental. The signal doesn't reach to the guest rooms. For me, this was enough to affect the quality of my trip, since I use Wi-Fi to plan, make reservations, etc.

Stayed April 2012
New England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

For two nights we stayed in two rooms on the third floor facing the street and volcano. The 5-story building is on the corner of two, semi-busy streets. The lobby is nicely updated with contemporary zen-like furnishings, and contains relaxing chairs with maps and reading materials, three computers, a dining area for breakfast, and a bar. The bar is not owned by the hotel so drinks cannot be charged to the room. The elevator worked well. We were impressed with the cleanliness of the place and saw staff mopping the hall floors at various times during the day. There was a refrigerator in the hall, I'm assuming to be shared by guests. The rooms were ample and clean as well.

Each room on the side facing the volcano has a micro-balcony from which to view street-life or volcano. Soap and shampoo was provided, which we did not find at other similarly-priced places we stayed. The beds were large enough but were basic and not luxurious. One negative we experienced was around 7am was a couple tractor-trailer trucks passed by on the street directly below and we were woken by their loud air brakes. Also two of the computers were down by the time we checked out but that wasn't a problem for us at all.

The location of the hotel for us was great, since we had a rental car. Parking was usually available in front or side of the hotel, and it's a short walk to most any place in downtown La Fortuna anyway. One advantage of staying in La Fortuna as opposed to closer to the volcano is you will be immersed in local culture as all around La Fortuna is farming country (I was told). The main square in front of the church was very clean and well maintained and was perfect to stroll amongst locals after dinner. One morning we saw four horses being drawn through the street. And although it's a farming region, we never noticed associated manure or smells in or around town.

While being a real town, they still provide some services for tourists, and at a less expensive rate than if you isolated yourself at one of the resorts closer to Arenal. Tour and souvenir shops were almost everywhere. We liked being in town, because we sought comidas tipicas, or local dishes, and found some really good ones, as well as a busy frozen yogurt/ice cream shop.

The hotel staff was especially nice, professional, and pleasant to talk with, and their English speaking skills were better than they admit. Mercedes, who helped me check in, stopped by the bar that evening to ask how our day went. A nice personal touch you won't always find in the larger resorts. Also a local US ex-pat visited the bar and was interesting to talk to. Beers cost a standard 1,000c, or two dollars.

The included breakfast was good and consisted of fruit, toast, eggs, juice, coffee, and rice and beans (no meat). I saw others get bacon but they weren't staying at the hotel and had to pay. There was no pool that I know of. The price was about 15% more than another place around the corner whose entrance faced the park and had a pool, but that might be noisier, I don't know.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

Highlight: Fantastic staff, great food and location unbeatable

Downside: Rooms, pillows, speed of food service

We spent two nights here in December 2011 and all 15 people in our tour group had rooms without windows (ours also didn’t have a fan), creating a stuffy and stale room. To make things worse, the previous guests had (illegally) smoked in our room and it stank!! When we complained to the front desk they did give us free air-conditioning (it’s usually $5 a day) to try and get rid of the smell (which did not work by the way) but we appreciated the thought. To allow light, the room has a window into the hallway but for safety and privacy reasons, we chose to keep this closed during our stay. Also, as it’s a window to another room, there was no airflow and this did not help with the smell.

Besides the smell and lack of fresh air, the small room was clean and comfortable. Take notice of the warnings in the bathroom to use the shower curtain. If you don’t, as one couple in our tour found, the bathroom floods right into the bedroom. I would also recommend bringing your own pillow as the pillows were awful (flat and provided no support).

There is free wi-fi in the lobby, free computers, English television channels and the front desk can book tours for you.

The location is unbeatable and the food is pretty good (although very slow to come out, I would recommend allowing an extra 20 minutes over what you think it will take).

Room Tip: If you do stay here, please make sure you check which room they’ve booked you in and make sure it ha...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel La Fortuna? Share your experiences!