“Great hotel, friendly staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Fortuna

Save Saved
You added Hotel La Fortuna to your Saves list
Hotel La Fortuna
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 block south and 1 block east from La Fortuna Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 000, Costa Rica   |
Chicago, Illinois
“Great hotel, friendly staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

Hotel is located in a center of La Fortuna, very safe and convenient location. I was a solo traveler for the first time (girl) and I didn't have a car. Safety was very important to me and this hotel was just perfect. I had a room with a volcano view, which was very nice. Staff is very friendly, Mercedes is very helpful in giving recommendations to different attractions. The hotel has 3 computers and a wifi connection. It is also perfect for social reasons, which was important to me as a solo traveler. It was very easy to meet and interact with people because a restaurant and a bar is in the main lobby so you can see and interact with other guests. I had to go to San Bosco for one night and i couldn't wait to come back to La Fortuna. Great hotel, highly recommneded!

304 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

I recently stayed at Hotel La Fortuna for one night while visiting the Arenal/La Fortuna area. I enjoyed my stay there, for the following reasons:

1. The hotel lobby is beautiful and service by the staff (especially Manrique) was excellent. For example, despite a mix-up I encountered involving a reservation I had made online on a travel website (nothing to do with Hotel La Fortuna), the Hotel staff resolved the issue without a hitch. That was a huge relief.

2. As advertised, the rooms are basic; however, since I was staying in La Fortuna for such a short period of time, I didn't mind. The room was clean and comfortable and my balcony had a nice view of surrounding hills.

3. WiFi for my laptop was spotty in my room (I was on a higher floor), but the lobby was comfortable enough to check my emails and Skype, so no problems there.

4. Hot breakfast was great, and the waiter who served me was nice.

5. Value $ of the stay overall was excellent.

I recommend others stay at Hotel La Fortuna, and I plan to book a room there next time I'm in the area. Gracias por todo, HLF!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

This hotel is totally cute and central for those without a car or solo. Ask for a room with a volcano view and air conditioning. The people at the front desk - Manrique and Mercedes - are very helpful in booking tours and transportation. Make sure to book the whitewater rafting and Cano Negra trip with them. They have a great breakfast that is included (eggs toast fruit) and Carlos in the restaurant is always upbeat and gives wonderful service. He makes great fresh fruit drinks too.

I also booked horseback riding to the waterfalls and Baldi hotsprings/dinner with the discount broker - Souvenir Arenal (Hassan Ariel at 8890-0993 or 2479-0012)- they are the lowest prices in town and the horseback riding was amazing! Skip the hanging bridges in La Fortuna though and go to those in Monteverde instead.

Don Ruffino is right next door. A great place for dinner when you want to splurge.

This is an ideal place to stay in La Fortuna. Free internet in lobby too.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here for 3 days and 2 nights. First off the hotel is very clean and convenient. It is the tallest building in LaFortuna (i'm pretty sure) and so you cant miss it even if you take the bus like we did. It is 2 blocks from the bus station. It is also away from the tourist jungle of hotels. It is right on the edge so you are far away but close enough to walk on over in 5 minutes.

The staff is probably the hardest working and friendliest that we encountered. Manrique at the front reception desk gave us great advice and suggestions on our options within each price range. Not pushy or partial to one place or another but rather honest. It was the same with his counterpart Mercedes. Their English was great too because our Spanish was horrible.

The food at the hotel restaurant was great and we wish we would have eaten there all the time we were there cause it is good, clean, and affordable.

Our room had a great view of the Arenal volcano and was clean and roomy enough. It is not fancy or 5 star but it is a great value for the price. There is also free wifi. We were very pleased.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

I was in room #202, with 2 double beds, no balcony, just fan, tv, free wifi and 3 computer terminals in the lobby. Very little counter space in the bathroom, and only 2 areas to put clothes or other material. Ants were prevalent and came to eat my oatmeal cookies. Good location, walking distance to the centre of town, the tallest building in the area, so easy to find. No safety deposit box in the room, so just a bag in the reception area. One key per room. Only one window to allow air to circulate. My bathing suit did not dry overnight, even with the fan on.

Room Tip: Pick a room with a balcony for air and drying space for clothes.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed at Hotel La Fortuna for 3 nights. We loved the location of this hotel and the staff was very helpful and friendly. We'd definitely recommend this. The only negative we have to say about the room we stayed in on the 3rd floor was that we found a few tiny ants crawling around on the floor. But hey, it's Costa Rica!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

We wanted a room that was convenient to everything, a place where we could walk around and get a feel for the area. This hotel was perfectly located for us. But the most amazing thing of all was the personnel at the reception desk. Mercedes and Manrique couldn't do enough to help us get settled, arrange for tours, taxis, etc. to make us feel at ease. The rooms are basic, but clean and comfortable. We had a room facing the volcano and looking over the rooftops of the village. Several decent restaurants within walking distance made life simple -- many people at the restaurants had arrived by taxi and had to arrange for taxis to return to their hotels out of town, while all we had to do was walk a couple of blocks. The top of the volcano was clouded in during most of our stay, but the positive experience at the hotel really added to our enjoyment.

Room Tip: Request a room facing the volcano. At five stories this is the talles building in town and has some...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel La Fortuna? Share your experiences!