“Rafting "adventure" may not reflect quality of company” 3 of 5 stars
Review of San Bosco Inn

You added San Bosco Inn to your Saves list
San Bosco Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   200 mts North from Gas Station, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica (Formerly Hotel San Bosco)   |
Hayward, Wisconsin
“Rafting "adventure" may not reflect quality of company”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Our hotel desk clerk probably over-sold description of this "adventure" in rafting. After a short ride to the river from La Fortuna, we waited around until the rafts were unloaded then inflated. We were given a short "how-to" then pushed off. The guide sat in the back, telling us when, how (hard/easy) and where (right/left) to row Since the water was really low, we did a lot of slow drifting. I wasn't like Huckleberry Finn on the Mississippi, but it was relaxing. So for the first 30 minutes or so, I rather enjoyed this "non-adventure." The real adventure began when we hit a branch and ripped the side of the raft. We started to take on water immediately. Luckily the raft has separate air chambers, so we weren't going to do the Titanic thing. But we were asked if we could swim (along side possible reptiles) and to throw our oars as close to shore as possible.
Our guide jumped in the river, pulled us to shore with no one hurt. BUT cameras, leather carrying cases, etc. were damaged. Our guide did well, except for destroying the raft, that is. We waited until another raft came by, unloaded several people into their raft and continued on.
Luckily, there wasn't much more of the river we could navigate, so that part of the tour was over.
We were given soft drinks, fruit while the crew deflated and loaded the rafts onto the van. We then took a short ride to a outdoor, casual restaurant where we had a nice, informal dinner. So: no mention about any refund for damaged goods or inconvenience. Bottom line: raft/river time about 1 - 1 1/2 hours, some birds along the way (also a sloth), not much to see. Fun part- stories I'll get to embellish about almost drowning in croc infested waters. Worth $45-$50? You be the judge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Miami Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I stayed there from March 4 till March 8.When I reserved my room by phone the male concierge wich I cant remember his name recomended me that because I was going with my girlfriend that I booked the double room and NOT the single one(78 USD instead the 58 USD).
Upon my arrival I discovered that he gave me a single one for more price .After I complaint he said that Nothing he cant do cause I misunderstand him even that WE had spoke in Spanish wich is my first language like him.The girl next to him was more sincere and told me that they were so full that nothing they can do.
I understood that NOT discount was available even that I arrived late on the 4th .Almost at 1000pm because the 6 hours drive from San Jose due to heavy rain.
Upset and stuck(all the good hotels in town were full) I decided it to take it.
Next day however thay accept their mistake and gave me a bigger room.
Breakfast is exelent and the housekeeping crew and breakfast people were exelent and nice.
Being most of my life in the States I tip everybody every day and U can see the diference.Hotel was full of Europeans and Argentinians wich they DONT tip at all.
Rude French people and Russians arrive second day..
On Tuesday morning I try to use the Jacuzzi before 1000 am and I was denied even that a previous employee started for me.They explained me that because Breakfast is served till 1000 am even that Nobody was having breakfast.Finally they allowed me to use the Jacuzzy.
Jacuzzy is wonderfull.Very Hot and nice the way I loved it .Nothing else I couldnt DO due to the heavy rain.
I enter the town with bad luck.I arrived on Monday 4th at 1000pm and I left town thursday 7th 800am..NON STOP RAINING.Pouring some times.Going out with taxis to lunch and dinner.Couldnt even see the Arenal Vocano.Nothing to do but swimming in the pool and be inside Jacuzzi.
Be carefull.Upon my arrival I was told by locals that was raining like that since previous Friday and When I calling on the phone from the states into all hotels in LA FORTUNA ,all employees were telling me that Weather was wonderfull and dry.
They lie about the Weather so Guest dont cancel the reservations before they arrived.
This Weather was weird because March is mostly dry in LA FORTUNA.I guess Weather all over changed now.
Bottom line is Weather in LA FORTUNA is impredictible..
Because the rain power went out Wed night for a couple hours.Imagine the hight humidity and NO air conditioning....

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Well placed in town - walk to everything - friendly staff and clean, but not luxurious rooms that are a bit older but appear to be kept up. Good breakfast, property is in view of town square and the volcano. We enjoyed the hot tub in the cool evenings.

Room Tip: Our first floor room was a bit noisy due to breakfast preparation; maybe a second floor room away fr...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Hotel San Bosco is just a short block from the main town square in La Fortuna. Literally a two minute walk to the heart of the city. Once on the grounds the noise of the the traffic fades completely. Quiet, peaceful, beautiful grounds. Clean rooms. The beds were too soft for my taste. The viewing deck has a great view of the Arenal volcano.

• Stayed March 2013
Charleston, WV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

This hotel is very close to town (one block off main square), making restaurant selection easy, and it's fun to sit in the town square and watch residents and travelers spending the evening, yet that one block makes the hotel quiet and serene. Our room was modest but adequate, clean, the pool was spotless and there is a viewing deck of the volcano. Tour shops are close and hotel pick-up for tours is simple. Breakfast was also good, and we liked having free wi-fi. Staff was pleasant and helpful. Good value for the money.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Surrey, British Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Located centrally in town off the main traffic route. It's a two story walk up hotel with no elevator. Service was excellent and having coffee/tea available 24/7 was a nice touch. Breakfast & WiFi included. Pool was clean and not highly chlorinated. Lots of restaurants and shops within walking distance. Being a tourist town, English is widely spoken. Don't expect a lot for this price.

• Stayed February 2013
Jobstown, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

We had a great experience at Hotel San Bosco. It was clean, inexpensive, and had quite an amazing view of the Arenal Volcano. Breakfast by the pool was basic, but was good and filling. The hot tub was nice to kick back in after all the hiking and exploring we had already done. Liked that it was off the main strip, but within walking distance to everything in town. Booked a kayaking tour on Lake Arenal with Jacamar Naturalist Tours. Can't say enough good things about the tour company and our guide, Edwin. The front desk arranged a taxi for us when we decided to splurge on our last night and do the touristy Baldi Hot Springs. Glad we experienced it, it was a nice relaxing way to spend our last night in the area.

Room Tip: They all seemed similar.. second floor has a better view of the volcano and a little hang out area w...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to San Bosco Inn? Share your experiences!