“Fabulous!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Lomas del Volcan

You added Hotel Lomas del Volcan to your Saves list
Hotel Lomas del Volcan
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   PO Box 4-4417, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica   |
San Diego
“Fabulous!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2009

We checked in for two nights. I was scared at the initial entrance to the hotel as it was not paved and there seemed to be a lot of cows. However, non paved roads are common in Costa Rica and the hotel is fabulous! I love the privacy of the individual cabins. There are two computers in the lobby for easy access to the internet, but you are unable to print. The staff at the front desk were helpful, but at times I felt like I was inconveniencing him by asking a question. However that did not stop me!

The breakfast was wonderful as was the dinners that we had there. Although,it is not located in La Fortuna, we were able to walk to town at a slow pace taking about 20 minutes. There was not much that I felt we were missing by not being in the town.

Outside our room in the morning, as we were walking to the restaurant we saw howler monkeys outside in the trees! It was amazing!

I would absolutely stay here again!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2009

This hotel is just a couple of miles outside of La Fortuna. This is great, because you end up feeling like you're out of the city as you get terrific views of Arenal on the non-lava side. That said, you're still close to town for food, ATM, tours, etc.

The road to the hotel is a bit bumpy, but if you're planning on driving to the lava side of the volcano, this road is a breeze. We had rented a compact Toyota Yarus and had not problem with the road. They are also actively laying down bricks/pavers to complete the road, so it is only going to get better.

The staff was very friendly, and the pool was awesome. It's very clean, fairly spacious, and as expected, also has a great look at the volcano.

The included buffet breakfast is bomb. It's the best hotel breakfast we've had in Costa Rica. Great fruit, juice, coffee, omlets, pancakes, sausage, etc.

It looks as though every cabin comes with two queens. As it was just my wife and I, we didn't need the extra queen. It would have been nice to get a smaller room to hopefully get a better rate, as that was our one complaint. We didn't feel ripped off at all, but it didn't feel like a bargain. It felt like American prices.

I should note that the bathroom is huge (you could fit a bed in there) and very clean. My wife particularly loved the shower, as the pressure was very high.

Definitely consider checking this place out!

florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2009

After a long day of driving, this place was a great end to our day, clean, great view from our cabin of the Arenal Volcano, great breakfast and friendly staff. We did not have hot water the first night so make sure you test the hot water, before that shower.

SC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2009

We checked in for a three night stay. We met Roberto(a caucasian looking man) at the front desk who we thought was american and if he was he spoke fluent spanish. Roberto was very friendly and accomodating. He gave us the keys and told us someone would meet us close to our room to help us get settled. We were instructed to park about 4 cabins away which was no problem since we enjoy walking. Marvin met us and helped us with our bags. We tipped him and thanked him for his help. Later on that evening after going to the pool we needed extra towels so I contacted the front desk and spoke with Roberto who said that he would have them sent to the room, which was great. Several minutes later I heard the door knob jiggling like someone was trying to get in. I went to the door and it was Marvin with the towels. This happened a few times, which may be something acceptable in that country but not in mine. Strangers don't just walk in to someone else's place without knocking! I am attaching pictures of the only flaws of the room. There is at least a two inch gap between the top of the door and the door frame and a two in gap between the bottom of the door and the ground. Bugs were just coming in all night because and hitting the windows because we left the porch light on at our bungalow. When I woke up in the morning i was laying in bed facing the wall and I saw a light shining in....a small piece of wood was missing and light was shining in. Now if you don't mind a couple beetles, a couple moths and a couple mosquitos in your room then you'll be fine. We decided to put towels in between the gaps to prevent the bugs from coming in. Other than the aforementioned issues the room was excellent. We had a superb, unobstructed view of the volcano. The back deck of the bungalow faces the volcano and has a table and 4 chairs. The grounds are well kept, in fact, they appeared perfect. The housekeepers keep the room immaculate! They made towel animals for us which was nice to come back to after a long tiring day. There were two people at the front desk(a hispanic male and hispanic female) who were EXTREMELY unfriendly and unaccomodating. We needed assistance trying to locate a tour and they were not willing to help in ANY WAY. Also on our second night of coming back all the walk way lamps were not working so you couldn't see while walking to your room and it is PITCH DARK. My girlfriend felt very uneasy. I called the front desk that night and advised them. The next morning while on my way to breakfast I stopped in at the front desk and the hispanic male was sitting down(never got up throughout any of our conversations) and explained that the lights were out last night and was just wondering if anyone checked on it and he said yeah I talked to you and said nothing else. After standing there just looking at him and him saying nothing else and looking away I asked if he could check on it he said "YA." I said thank you and walked away. That night when we got back the light were STILL OUT! I gave up. I went to the front desk and spoke with the hispanic male and asked if he could help us get directions to a tour. I'm puerto rican but don't speak fluent spanish and have trouble with directions. He agreed to dial the tours number(can't make phone calls from the room) but would not make the reservation. If you don't mind bugs in your room and some unfriendly people at the front desk than this place is GREAT. Oh by the way, NO TV IN THE ROOM
:( Good thing we didn't spend alot of time there!!! Also breakfast area wasn't too clean. Steven was very nice and accomodating!

Somerset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2009

We stayed only one night as part of a group tour. Unfortunately, due to traffic conditions, we arrived after dark and in the morning we left in the rain! However the rooms were excellent - very spacious detached bungalows each with a private deck and a bathroom big enough to have a party! We ate in the restaurant which was pretty good. Because of the weather, we didn't even get to see the volcano!

• Stayed February 2009
Twin Lakes, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2009

We stayed here for four nights and I have a hard time writing this review, because I loved it, but my husband did not. A lot of tours stop here, so first thing in the morning there are a lot of people around, especially at breakfast, but when the buses leave, there is nothing but peace and quiet until another bunch pulls in around 4pm.There were very few people staying here who weren't on these tours.
I truly enjoyed mornings on our deck watching and listening to the birdies but I was a little disappointed there weren't more places to walk around besides the hotel property. There are no trails, only rugged jungle on all sides or the driveway that I think will take them a long time to finish paving brick by brick. I got as far as where they were working, but there was no place to walk around and I didn't want to walk through their construction site, so turned around.We did see tons of birds including Toucans and the tiniest birds I've ever seen. They weren't hummingbirds, but saw a lot of them too. The grounds are beautiful and the surrouding forest all looks like houseplants I have tried to keep alive, but here they're just growing like weeds. We heard howler monkeys one morning, but never did see where they were.
Our room was very clean and spacious with a frig,safe and huge bathroom. They supply you with enough coffee to make one 4 cup pot and it was a pretty long walk to the restaurant, so our first day in town I bought a pound and some filters for about $3.00. We like our coffee in the morning and this was REALLLLY good. I only wish I had filled my suitcase up with more.We knew there was no tv (they have one in the bar) and didn't think we'd miss it, but my husband did on those overcast days or nights we came back early. I missed a hairdryer, but just got used to doing the wet ponytail thing.
We only went to the pool a couple times and it was very nice if only the weather would have cooperated. Because the weather was pretty bad two of our four days, there was really nothing to do.
We went into town and booked some excursions. They seemed to have more to offer at Adventurous Arenal downtown than they did at the hotel. We went to Cano Negro and really enjoyed all the wildlife we saw there. Another day we did the day volcano hike and luckily it was clear enough to see and hear a lot of action . The last evening we went on the night lava view but didn't get so lucky that time and because of the rain and fog saw nothing.We did get to two hotsprings and from everything I had read I thought Baldi would be horrible but it was included in one of the packages. It was actually quite pretty and not at all crowded when we were there. The loud music was uncalled for and their food and drink prices were ridiculous, but other than that I was pleasantly surprised especially with the size of it. That $10.00 pina colada was probably the best drink I had on our trip. Eco Thermales was much smaller and beautiful in a very quiet way. Their prices were very reasonable and the honor system they use where you tell them what you had when you leave really makes you feel like you're in a classy place.
Other than excursions where transportation was provided, we took a couple of taxis into town and that is only $4.00 . Having our own car probably would have made the decision to go do something a little easier. There are some shops where you could easily spend a couple hours going thru and several restaurants. On the high end, we ate at Don Rufinos one night and it was excellent. We had lunch one day at La Parada soda which doesn't look like much from the sidewalk, but really good authentic food at great prices. The rest of the meals we either had on excursions or back at the hotel. Breakfast is included. It's a buffet set up for all these tour folks. There are some tables reserved for the few independent travellers like us, so you dont have to worry about getting a table.We thought the food was very good at all three meals and reasonable prices although no great bargain.
I loved this place because of the peace and quiet surrounded by nature. Those are the very reasons my husband didn't like it. If you're a bird watcher, it's paradise. If you're like my husband and need things like a tv, gift shop, hopping bar scene, you'll probably be disappointed. I don't know how else to explain it.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Salt Lake City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2009

My boyfriend and I traveled to La Fortuna as part of out two week tour through Costa Rica. We are students and consequently on a tight budget for the trip. We decided to make Lomas del Volcan our one splurge for the trip after seeing how beautiful everything looked on their website. We stayed there for three nights and in the end decided it was not worth the cash.

Before diving into the reasons I would not recommend this hotel let me say that the grounds really are as beautiful as they looked online, the cabinas are great and you are literally at the base of the volcano. They had a great breakfast that will keep you going if you venture out to do all the activities the La Fortuna area offers. In theory they also have free internet access.

The primary reason this hotel is not worth it´s $132/night price tag is that there is so much to do in the area you are hardly ever in your cabina. Add to that the awful dirt road you must traverse every time you head into town and out on an activity and it´s a pain. I assume from the giant piles of bricks lining the road that they are planning on fixing it, but no work was happening while we were there. I found being so removed form the city annoying and inconvenient for arranging activities and even just getting a meal. While $4 is not a lot for a taxi, we would not have needed pay anything if we had been in town or if they had had a shuttle.

My other frustration with this hotel was that the staff seemed disinterested in the guests. For example, I needed to use the internet while I was there and when I went to use it it was not working. I mentioned this to the front staff and the man working shrugged and did nothing. I did everything I could think of to fix the connection but was unable to get it working. The staff didn´t care that I was inconvenienced or try to help me in any way.

Basically there are a lot of places to stay in La Fortuna and many of them have volcano views and beautiful gardens. Stay somewhere more convenient and use the extra cash to do some horse back riding or river rafting.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Lomas del Volcan? Share your experiences!