“Would definitely return - great place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Lomas del Volcan

You added Hotel Lomas del Volcan to your Saves list
Hotel Lomas del Volcan
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   PO Box 4-4417, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Denver, Colorado
“Would definitely return - great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

If you don't mind a few bumps and getting your rental car dirty, then go off the tar seal up to this place and I think you'll find good value. There was no extra charge for children, and tax was actually included in the quoted price ... so for us this place ended up being about 60% of the price of some of the equivalent hotels (Silencio etc). In a country that apparently used to be a lot more reasonably priced, it feels like you need to seek out the value ... and this place provided it for us.
Here's what we enjoyed most:
- breakfast: of all the places we stayed in CR (except the all-inclusive), this breakfast was head and shoulders above the rest. It was buffet style with typical CR rice/beans, sausages/eggs/bacon, breads and even made-to-order omelets. It was great.
- cabin/room - clean, spacious, newish, nice bathroom with fabulous large head on shower together with good hot water
- pool/hot tub - kept our boys busy, even in the rain, while we chatted to other guests
Unfortunately, the weather was poor, but we did manage to wander the grounds between showers and they were very nice, though I'm guessing that they might not be as extensive as some of the other hotels (or maybe we just did not see it all). Still, we were delighted with our choice and would definitely put this top of our list next time in a somewhat overpriced town.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Cabo Rojo, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

I stayed for 1 night with a group of 30. We wanted to stay more longer. It was rainy all day but the impression of staying in a tropical forest was incredible. We will return to stay for more time. Great casitas big, amazing area, pool and forest. You can hear the birds singing all day!!.
Excellent !.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

There are many hotel choices in La Fortuna. We liked this one quite a bit. The cabins are clean and nicely decorated. Grounds are well maintained. The views are spectacular - try to get in the 500s for the best views. The pool and restaurant were well managed. We thought the food was delicious and chose to eat there a few times. Breakfast is included which worked really well for taking early tours or transport. Service was friendly - easy to book tours, get info, etc. It is a $5 - $7 cab ride into the 'downtown' area of La Fortuna. You could also choose to walk but it is about 2 miles. Most of the area's attractions are neaby (ziplining, hot springs, etc.) overall, I definately would recommend this place to anyone staying in La Fortuna.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

I absolutely recommend Lomas del Volcan. This is one of my favorite places I have stayed in during all of my travels. The service was wonderful and friendly, the bungalow was clean and comfortable, the view of the volcano could not be beat, and the grounds were impeccably maintained.

The location is very convenient to town (best combination of volcano view and town convenience) and is at most a 5 - 10 minute car ride away. (Also, another nice plus, on all of our excursions we were the last to be picked up and the first to be dropped off.) The breakfast was delicious and it included a made-to-order omelette station, fresh sweet plantains, delicious fruit, varying meat options, varying carbohydrate options, and amazing coffee. The view from the dining room was gorgeous too. We had lunch (not included) at the hotel restaurant one day and that was very good as well.

The grounds were gorgeous and were full of beautiful Costa Rican wildlife. We took the nature trail one afternoon and spotted 3 toucans (a trip highlight). The rare curassow bird greeted us every day too.

The room had a/c, wifi, cable tv, refrigerator, and a safe. The views from the cabins of the volcano were priceless. The shower was huge and had the best water pressure.

I often find my mind drifting back to the feeling of sitting in the Lomas dining room at breakfast, sipping coffee and staring at the volcano, fauna, and wildlife - pure delight!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

the staff is very nice, cottages (rooms) are very comfortable....amazing location...would totally stay there again..

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

My wife and I were looking for something more comfortable and romantic than a hostel, but not as pricey as a resort and Hotel Lomas del Volcan was PERFECT! We got a fantastic cottage tucked away in the rainforest, which included breakfast (a buffet which was simply delicious). The grounds were beautifully kept and the hotel even had a little rainforest walking trail through connected property that they own.

We were thankful that the hotel was located a fifteen minute walk from La Fortuna as it was quiet and peaceful. We also appreciated how nice the staff was and how clean the rooms were kept. I recommend this hotel highly. We will definitely book it on our return to Arenal!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Environment, bungalow, food, pool/jacuzzi, honesty. Those are the words I think of when I remember our recent stay at Lomas del Volcan. The environment speaks for itself. Go to the website: http://www.lomasdelvolcan.com/. The pictures don't give it justice and it's amazing! The bungalows are spacious and clean. There is no "framing" - no insulation. Just slats of wood, so the walls are thin, but that was fine with us. We had 5 people in our group: 2 adults, 3 children, but two of the children are adult-size, the third is 10. Lomas del Volcan provided a roll away for our 10yr old - close to the ground, and there was enough room for us all, with two queen beds. The bathrooms are very big - with a toilet and bidet, and the shower is huge, with enough counter space around the sink to put your stuff. My only complaint in all of Costa Rica is I wish they had screens on their windows. I would've loved to have opened up all the windows and doors but I'm not real keen on letting mosquitoes and other critters inside. We had cabin 515 (I think) or 517. Anyway, we had the cabin highest up on the property. That means that when we opened our back door onto a covered porch, we had no other structure obstructing our view of the volcano - it was amazing! To the right, you can't help but realize you're halfway up the volcano, because the decline is drastic and continues for quite a while and far away, below, is the rainforest. The view goes on forever! Had I known about this place before we left the states, there's a good chance we would have stayed here more than one night. The price was fantastic! We made slightly more in Puntarenas at the Tioga Hotel (never ever go there) and were astounded at the difference in quality. But that's another review. Ok. Food. Both dinner and breakfast were buffet style and had great choices. Understand that Costa Rican food is very simplistic (albeit healthful). Lomas did a great job of offering variety. The restaurant area is open - no walls on two sides - so you can have a fantastic view of the surroundings. But, again, my only complaint the whole trip is the mosquitoes. I got really tired of them. I was told to stop wearing scented lotions, sunscreens, etc. because that's what attracts them; in fact, taking fewer showers would help, too. But I didn't know that then and eating outside is an open invitation to being miserable later. So don't be afraid to wear long pants and sleeves. Pool/jacuzzi - totally clean! But the jacuzzi wasn't hot at all. It actually didn't bother me too much. It was big enough for 15 people comfortably to have their own discussions and still have room for more. HONESTY. Ok. Here's the deal-maker. I accidentally left my iPad and charger in the room when we left at 7am.. I didn't realize it until later that night at 10pm. You have to understand that in Costa Rica, petty theft is everywhere. I was not expecting to see it again, but the housekeeper turned it in, and the manager put it in a manilla envelope with my name on it, and put it in a safe. When I came back the next day I hugged him. ALL of the staff were friendly and accommodating. Would definitely go back. Oh. If you stay in Fortuna and want to use a tour company for excursions, use EcoTerra 800-479-8333 (ask for Jairo) behind La Casa Luna Hotel a couple km away. We did the all-day excursion with suspension bridge hike, waterfall, hot springs, and another small hike up the volcano. AWESOME! We stayed at La Casa Luna, too, I'll leave another review for them, too. We were very happy with Lomas del Volcan!

Room Tip: Ask for a cabin up high on the property