“Trending down but still a great stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Arenal Paraiso Hotel Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Arenal Paraiso Hotel Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Arenal Paraiso Hotel Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   7 kms from La Fortuna downtown, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 84-4417, Costa Rica   |
Curridabat, Costa Rica
“Trending down but still a great stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

My family and I have stayed at this resort perhaps 10 times over the last 15 years. The physical location is incredible with a great view of the volcano. The landscaping of the resort is beautiful and lush. We have only stayed in superior rooms so I cannot speak to the standard rooms. The superior rooms are small but adequate cabins with front porches (roofed and glass enclosed) that face towards the volcano, which combined with the great landscaping gives a beautiful view and a great place to relax and enjoy nature. The rooms are furnished with 2 full or possibly queen beds, a small refrigerator, a tv and closet. The resort has a beautiful cascading series of soaking pools with hot water from beneath the volcano, culminating with a cool water swimming pool and a very warm pool with a swim up bar at the bottom. The staff of the hotel was very friendly and accommodating . We had dinner at the restaurant which was pricy but very good. In my opinion, the casados ( typical meals of the day) are the best deal going. The dinner buffet was $21 and entrees were more, I had a casado con pescado ( meal of the day with fish) for $11 and it was terrific. The breakfast buffet was adequate but of less quality than in years past. As an example, in past years they have offered an omelette bar and also had yogurt and granola with their fruits. This year there was no omelette bar nor granola and yogurt. My observation is that the owners have put very little into capital improvements ( TV,s, bedspreads , etc. are all very dated) and they seemed to have made an intentional shift towards attracting more Costa Rican nationals (whom I love) by keeping room rates low, which may explain why they have cut back on some formerly offered touches and have not spent much money on keeping the rooms and furnishings contemporary. Overall it was still a great stay and we enjoyed it, but the trend is going down and at this rate I don't know if I can recommend the resort to others, particularly since there are more and more competing resorts of higher quality.

Room Tip: The superior rooms located in the far back of the resort have the benefit of a back patio that looks...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Pilar G, Director Comercial at Arenal Paraiso Hotel Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you for your comments are verry importatn to us, It was a pleasure to know that you and your family enjoyed your stay in our hotel. It is important to mention that we are making improvements in our infrastructure, we are remodeling our superior rooms also we are buying flat screen TVs, and we already remodeled the wet bar and kids pool. And in our operations projects we plan to change the bedclothes to offer our guets a better service.
We hope have your visit again in our hotel.
Best Regards from the Arenal Paraíso Hotel.

574 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We opted for a more resort hotel here at Arenal Paraiso after staying at a nearby hotel in central La Fortuna. We liked that Arenal Paraiso had its own hot springs and the grounds looked beautiful. We were paying $30 more per night than we had been at the previous hotel so, we were looking forward to an upgrade.

Unfortunately, the rooms left much to be desired and the room they booked us in was quite a walk from the main reception area and the restaurant. I asked them to place us in a closer cabina but, the friendly staffer told me there weren't any available. However, after complaining about the noise level from our neighbors next door about 1 hour later, they did move us to another cabina closer to reception (ahhemmm.. this is what I asked for initially) that same night. I took a cold shower as there was no hot water and had to call the staff to help turn the water off as it kept dripping.

The restaurant on-site seemed to have a good selection of food but, it was WAY overpriced and totally out of our budget. It's at least a $10 taxi ride to the nearby town of La Fortuna so unless you're going to eat in the restaurant the whole time be prepared to thrown down some $ for taxi rides if you don't have your own transportation (which I'd recommend).

The buffet breakfast spread varied but, considering the restaurant is an open air room, I would have preferred for them to cover the majority of the food as there were bugs and such landing and flying around the food. Additionally, the banana bread looked great but, there were ants crawling all over them so I didn't try it.

We left later that day to return to our previous accommodations in the town of La Fortuna, which also had a great view of the volcano. I think this place has a lot of potential as the grounds are beautiful but, it needs a bit of work.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Pilar G, Director Comercial at Arenal Paraiso Hotel Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Jacquieleigh,

We appreciate your comments, they are very important to our service and products.
We want to apologize with you for the inconvenience that you have in our property, we have different platforms of service and for that reason we doesnt offer you another room.
About the restaurant, we have a variety of feeds to you choose, and in the breakfast we change somethings of the menu each day.
We wish you will come to our hotel in the future and offer to you and your family and friends the best.
Cordially the Arenal Paraiso Group¡
Laguna Hills, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Our first time to Costa Rica which we loved, had a fantastic trip! This hotel however had nothing but problems.... We are a family of 5 with 2 teenagers and a 9 year old so we had two superior rooms which were like dinghy cabins in need of some updating. We were there for 3 nights and after the first night of being separated into 2 cabins and no hot water in one of the units and the others toilet not working we upgraded to a family suite which we paid $100 more for....it was nicer with 2 adjoining rooms, living room and small kitchen with refrigerator but once again fridge never got cold, only one toilet worked, no cold water for the master bathroom so water was scolding hot which meant we were all once again using 1 shower and 1 toilet in our 2 bedroom 2 bath family suite. Our lock to the front door didn't work and we must of had to go to the front desk at least 5 times to get new keys or they had to come let us in.... So many problems for such a short stay, would never stay here again! They were very friendly at the front desk and would send someone to fix things immediately but who wants all that, you just want things to work! They said its because its off season and the places aren't checked for awhile so until someone's in them they are unaware of the problems.... I hope this is helpful to someone when researching and if I were to go back would not be staying here! There's soo- many places to choose from and Costa Rica is worth enjoying but pick another hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Pilar G, Director Comercial at Arenal Paraiso Hotel Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank your for your comments are very important to us, we apologize for the service offered becauses it was not the service that you and your family expected, we wiil take your comments to make improvements in all our departments to give ouer guests the best service in the area. Adn we wish in the future you come back to our hotel and offer you and your family another kind of services with tthe improvements already implemented and satisfy your needs.
Best Regards from the Arenal Paraíso Hotel
Houston, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Arenal Paraiso was the second hotel/resort I stayed in during my week long trip to Costa Rica. I was told prior to arriving there that every room had a view of the volcano via the full glass windows. Upon my arrival I was in AWE! The view of the volcano was breathtaking. I found myself lying in bed staring at it.

I got up early every morning and walked the grounds taking photographs of hummingbirds, lizards, ducks/ducklings, sloths and many other birds. It was wonderful.

I enjoyed every meal that was served buffet style in the restaurant. One morning we even had FRENCH TOAST. Yummy! The rooms were clean and quite large complete with a flat screen TV. I also utilized the hot spring pool which was very relaxing.

My group drove to the nearby park and hiked the volcano trail. The scenery at the top was breathtaking. Later in the day some of my group ziplined while others went ATVing. Our group enjoyed both activities.

If you are attached at the hip to your wifi gadgets you can only access it in the lobby. A little bit of a hassle but not much. Great place to hang out.

If you are making a trip to Costa Rica put this place on your list.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your comments written, are very important to us, it was a pleasure had your visit in our hotel and know that you really enjoyed your stayed with us. We work hard every day with our employees to offer our guests the best service.
We hope have your visit again in our hotel.
Best Regards from the Arenal Paraíso Hotel
Heredia, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I came here during January with my husband and parents. We're all fairly mellow people and mainly just wanted to lounge around and enjoy the hotsprings and natural surroundings without having to go anywhere extra. The pools here are beautiful; the warmer pools (with the warmest at the highest point) are surrounded by nature which I found to be very peaceful and relaxing.

The breakfast...oh dear god the breakfast. There was a huge buffet with eggs, sausage, gallo pinto, fresh fruit, ham, pastries, juice, etc. etc.. It was pretty much the best hotel breakfast I have ever had. My father (being fatherly) mentioned to the hotel staff that I am a celiac, so they put out tortillas for me to have with my breakfast.

The room was pretty average; the airconditioner didn't work, but they had someone in to fix it in no time. The beds weren't exactly comfortable, and the bathroom was a bit smelly from the moment we came in. It had this weird, permanent human "aroma" which was rather unpleasant. The porch was nice, though, and we spent quite a bit of time sitting in those lovely rocking chairs, meditating on the view of Arenal.

Other than breakfast, we didn't eat at the restaurant because it seemed a little overpriced for what it was. Instead we ordered food from local Fortuna restaurants that delivered to the hotel lobby.

We booked the horseback tour that is in a large piece of land across the street. It was a bit scary, going down a steep hill covered in big rocks, but once we got past the rickety bits, the scenery was gorgeous. I'd recommend it, if you don't mind a sore but and being tossed around a bit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room closer to the pools
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Pilar G, Director Comercial at Arenal Paraiso Hotel Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you for your comments are very importante to us, it is really important to know that you and your family enjoyed in our hotel, we really apreciate it.
We apologize with you about the services that we don´t satisfy in your visit to our property, we are making improvement to offer the best service to our clients.
We hope you come again to our hotel and give you and your family a personalize service and attention.

Best regards from the Arenal Paraiso Hotel.
Tel Aviv
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We spent two nights in the hotel in a suprior room. The view was fantastic and so was the room decoration and all emnities. The service was great they acually run for every request we have (we gave some laundry on 4pm and received it back within a hour).
But the beds are the most uncomfirable beds I had during a trip of two weeks in Costa Rica. I really think they need to replace the matresses.
In the resort they have a set of termo pools. Ome of them - the big one - was emplty and the others were not so inviting. We tried to find some differences in the tempreture of the different pools but no success.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Pilar G, Director Comercial at Arenal Paraiso Hotel Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Thank your for your comments are very important to us. About the comment that you made of the matresses we used a standard for all the rooms, but we wiil going to consider it in our improvements programs. Our hot springs works like a river, thus the top ones are hotest than the other pools. It was a pleasure to know that you and your family really enjoyed your stay in our hotel.
We hope have your visit again in our Hotel.
Best Regards from all of as at the Arenal Paraíso Hotel.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Don't stay here if you don't like wildlife and nature, cuz you'll be surrounded by it! My husband and I stayed in a Superior Room, which was like a private little bungalow with a glassed-in front porch. From the porch was a gorgeous view of Arenal Volcano. We were lucky enough to get 2 days of perfect weather, in which the volcano showed off it's top. I've heard this is rare.

There is nothing fancy about these bungalows, but they provided a nice retreat. The walls are pretty thin, so you can hear all the sounds of the wildlife outside at night. It really didn't bother me though. I felt they did a great job incorporating their resort into the environment, without compromising the surrounding natural beauty. The superior rooms had more than enough space for us. You can actually fit 4 people in there comfortably.

Service was excellent. Everyone we came across was friendly and accommodating...the front desk, bartender at the hot springs, and servers at the restaurant. The morning buffet is typical Tico food, but the variety was more than average.

One of my favorite parts of this resort were the hot springs with thermo-mineral water flowing from pool to pool. They had 13 small pools/spas that were connected by little streams, so the water ran from the top pool to the bottom pool, with each pool decreasing in temperature. This allowed us to find a small private pool with our desired temperature. Most of the pools also had their own view of the volcano and a small waterfall feature. We also chilled at the wet bar (also in thermo-mineral water) with our friends. Their food was pretty good, and the bartender was really nice. He pointed out some iguanas next to the pond and a sloth that was hanging out in a tree next to the pool. We didn't even have to step out of the resort to see the wildlife!

I recommend this resort for nature lovers. If you have an issue with bugs and animals, then you should find a more upscale resort.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Pilar G, Director Comercial at Arenal Paraiso Hotel Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Is for us a great pleasure to received this kinds of comments, it is very impotant to kwow that you, your husband and yours friends really ejoyed your stay in Arenal Paraíso Hotel. The most important think for us is to offer an excellent service in all our departmants for ours guests with the porpuse to satisfy the expectatives of our clientes for that reason we appreciate the time taken to write this comment. We hope to recieve you and your recomendationes again in our hotel.
Best Regards from your friend of the Arenal Paraíso.
Pura Vida
Arenal Manoa Hotel & Spa
Arenal Manoa Hotel & Spa
#12 of 63 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
4.5 of 5 stars 900 reviews

Been to Arenal Paraiso Hotel Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!