We went to Los Lagos near Arenal in July, 2014. It is a gorgeous resort in the shadow of the Arenal volcano featuring pools and water slides. Kids love the long, nicely designed slides that they can whoosh down and land in a pool. For adults, there is a variety of small, romantic pools that are private and lovely. The swim-up bar is really fun. The food is very good, especially the big breakfast buffet that features traditional Costa Rican food as well as American favorites. Best coffee I had anywhere! They even prepared a special hot chocolate for my grandson everyday. The dinner chef is creative and very good. Oh, and there is an excellent nature center with crocodiles and other native species.
Sadly, our stay got off to bad start due to an unpleasant young man at the check-in desk. He was so unfriendly that we felt unwelcome and disappointed. Our efforts to converse with him in Spanish were ignored. We had reserved one room for my husband and myself and a second room with 2 beds for my daughter, son-in-law and grandson. This was apparently a huge imposition, and he instead assigned them a tiny room with one double bed and said a 2nd bed would be brought in. There was no way that even the tiniest roll up could have been made to fit in that cabin--which we discovered after trudging up the very steep hill to our cabins. Eventually, they were assigned to a cabin that was suitable, but no apology was offered, and our stay was not off to a happy start. By the way, there were 2 young men at the check in desk, and the second, who was shorter, was pleasant and helpful.
The rooms are very simple cabins (duplex), nothing special but clean and comfortable.
All in all, I rate Los Lagos "very good" and will definitely go back there. Its a gorgeous place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Volcano Resort with 1050 acres of tropical forest and wide landscapes, clear, safe and spectacular view to Arenal Volcano, wide tropical gardens with butterflies, frogs, crocodiles and leave cutter ants. An exclusive resort with its own 13 platform Canopy Tours, Horseback Riding Tours, and spectacular observation point at the property, other facilities is an exclusive Spa facing a primary forest and surroundings of water and their signature Arenal Volcano Clay Wrap. At Los Lagos Resort we offer 7 different pools, 4 with natural hot springs and 3 regular water pools available. We offer 98 rooms, International restaurant, souvenir shop, tours, web bar and free internet. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Priceline so you can book your Los Lagos Hotel Spa & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Los Lagos Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Los Lagos Hotel Spa And Resort
- Hotel Los Lagos
- Los Lagos Hotel Spa & Resort Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park