I'm glad we (Wife, daughter and myself) spent 5 days at Los Lagos because out of those 5, we had one beautiful clear day around the volcano. The other days were great, too, but most of the time Arenal is covered with puffy white clouds. Anyhow, Los Lagos is in a perfect location. In between most of the activities and downtown La Fortuna, which I recommend visiting for food and booking tours.
Our stay in Los Lagos included breakfast, which was very nice and filled with plenty of options. We definitely ate until we were full because most of the tours require quite a bit of walking. We soon learned to eat a nice breakfast with some fruit in between, which kept us full until around 4 or 5pm for dinner. Yep, you have to eat early if you plan on going to bed early. The days in Costa Rica start early, around 5am. We were going to bed by 9pm because of our tours, but also because after 2pm or so, it gets cloudy and sometimes rain comes pouring down. Anyhow, we enjoyed the early dinners and the wind down in the thermal spas and/or pools.
One day we only did a half day tour and that gave us a chance to walk around the hotel and check out some of the attractions. Los Lagos has a butterfly house, but I didn't see any butterflies. There are a few crocodiles on property so make sure to stop by that area. Within the hotel there are horses for the early morning ride to the volcano and I did notice some canopy lines, which we didn't do because we had already ziplined with an outside tour company.
Rooms: At first the rooms are cute because they feel like small cabins, but once inside, it's just basic. One night I asked for Ice, which was brought right away but when I asked where am I suppose to put it since I didn't have an ice bucket, all I was told was to put the bag in the small fridge. Our standard room had no Iron either. I did like the small table and chairs in the back (some have them in the front) of the room. Gives you a chance to enjoy the view while you have a cup of coffee outside. Maid service was wonderful.
Overall, very good hotel, especially for families!
Tip: If you are driving in Costa Rica, try the SODAS (which is what Costa Ricans call local small restaurants). Food is good and very affordable, plus you'll get a chance to experience some Costa Rican plates. We ate at La Parada, twice, which is in front of the park in La Fortuna.
Tip: Laundry service at Los Lagos is pretty cheap compared to other hotels and other areas in Costa Rica. For example, I believe a pair of shorts was $1, but a hotel in Manuel Antonio was $3.50.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Volcano Resort with 1050 acres of tropical forest and wide landscapes, clear, safe and spectacular view to Arenal Volcano, wide tropical gardens with butterflies, frogs, crocodiles and leave cutter ants. An exclusive resort with its own 13 platform Canopy Tours, Horseback Riding Tours, and spectacular observation point at the property, other facilities is an exclusive Spa facing a primary forest and surroundings of water and their signature Arenal Volcano Clay Wrap. At Los Lagos Resort we offer 7 different pools, 4 with natural hot springs and 3 regular water pools available. We offer 98 rooms, International restaurant, souvenir shop, tours, web bar and free internet. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Agoda and Odigeo so you can book your Los Lagos Hotel Spa & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Los Lagos Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Los Lagos Hotel Spa And Resort
- Hotel Los Lagos
- Los Lagos Hotel Spa & Resort Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park