My boyfriend and I just came back from Costa Rica. We stayed at Los Lagos for 4 nights and were impressed by this resort. In fact, if we make our way back to Costa Rica, we'll be sure to stay here again!
For starters, the resort is beautiful; there are so many colorful plants and the grounds are well kept. The lobby has free wifi, although it's spotty and slow at times. They also have 2 computers that are open for use with internet connection. They also have a water cooler with nice cold water. And the staff is friendly, helpful, and speak English, as well as Spanish!
There is a table in the lobby where you can sign up for tours and activities to do on the resort and outside of the resort. My advice is to drive into town (La Fortuna, approx. 10mins away) and sign up for tours there. Most tours will pick you up from your resort and they cost a lot less... some will even lower their prices if you pay with cash... and most of the tours are the exact same as the ones at the resort, just a lot cheaper.
Our room was also very clean. We had two full size beds, air conditioning, a fridge, and tv with some channels in English.
We ate at the restaurant everyday for breakfast and once for dinner. The breakfast buffet was good with more options than expected. Dinner was a little pricey but the food was really good. Everything we had there was fresh and delicious. The wait staff are very nice and attentive. My advice, if paying with credit card at any restaurant, including this resort, there isn't a space to include tip on the check. Tips have to be paid cash if you plan on leaving any. We learned this the hard way... we planned on leaving our tip on our credit card and didn't bother carrying cash. We ended up not being able to tip because of this problem.
The pool and hot springs are great. The hot springs (not sure about the pool) is drained every night and cleaned and refilled each day from water from the volcano. We were impressed how clean they were. The water slides are pretty cool too, and not just for kids! The swim up bar is great too, it's located in a warm pool... making it a great place to drink and hang out while it rained!
We also enjoyed the zip lining canopy tour. There were 11 cables, everything from steep and fast to slow and short. You have a great view of the forest while zipping through the trees. The only problem is if you aren't sure you'll like them, you have to complete 5 cables in order to get off because the first 4 platforms don't have stairs or ways of getting down.
We also really enjoyed the horseback riding up to the volcano observation spot. Los Lagos has their own private observation spot that looks up at the volcano. You can either drive or horseback ride to it. We decided to horseback ride. It was fun! They have 26 horses at the resort on their mini farm and the tour guide lets you really ride... none of the walk very slowly and follow the leader crap. We got to canter! And really ride up and down the mountain. There were some steep parts that I'm not sure I'd even hike up but the horses did great maneuvering up and down. Wear pants... the chaffing on the saddles hurt!
Finally we enjoyed a relaxing afternoon in the spa. They have some great promotions in the lobby that we couldn't pass up and thankfully we didn't. The spa was gorgeous! The rooms are along the back with view of the forest. While you're getting massaged or wrapped, you hear the wildlife and rain which couldn't be more relaxing. I was concerned about the massages and how qualified the staff was but they were excellent! They were so professional and relaxing! I wish I would gotten more done there! I receive massages once a month and I can honestly say that was the best massage, body wrap, and facial I've ever had! Highly recommend!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Volcano Resort with 1050 acres of tropical forest and wide landscapes, clear, safe and spectacular view to Arenal Volcano, wide tropical gardens with butterflies, frogs, crocodiles and leave cutter ants. An exclusive resort with its own 13 platform Canopy Tours, Horseback Riding Tours, and spectacular observation point at the property, other facilities is an exclusive Spa facing a primary forest and surroundings of water and their signature Arenal Volcano Clay Wrap. At Los Lagos Resort we offer 7 different pools, 4 with natural hot springs and 3 regular water pools available. We offer 98 rooms, International restaurant, souvenir shop, tours, web bar and free internet. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Low Cost Holidays, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Otel, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Los Lagos Hotel Spa & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Los Lagos Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Los Lagos Hotel Spa And Resort
- Hotel Los Lagos
- Los Lagos Hotel Spa & Resort Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park