“Loved the pools!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Los Lagos Hotel Spa & Resort

Save Saved
You added Los Lagos Hotel Spa & Resort to your Saves list
Los Lagos Hotel Spa & Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6 km from Fortuna de San Carlos, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 506, Costa Rica   |
Hickory, North Carolina
“Loved the pools!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We booked the hotel through a Groupon deal with Desafio. The hotel was great. Loved the pools, the waterslides and the grounds were beautiful. Because of our deal we had the buffet for dinner every night except our last night. Overall the food was good, including the breakfast. Our standard room was basic and didn’t have a clock, but it was everything we needed. We had a great view of the volcano at all times since the hotel is at the base of the volcano. We had blue skies with some clouds. But, that didn’t affect the magnificence of the volcano. We had a great stay and would recommend it to anyone!

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

720 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We didn't actually stay on the property here but we booked 3 excursions here (horseback riding, hike up arenal and ziplining). We had an amazing time on all three and the property looks amazing! We also spent some time in the hot springs. They were nice but pretty much just looked like hot tubs.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Greenwood, IN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My first visit to Costa Rica with late Saturday night arrival with my adult daughter. We had flown into San Jose and had a private touristo van ride up to the Arenal area with my other daughter and her husband who had a reservation down the road at El Silencio De Campo which was FABULOUS, but booked when we made our reservation. We found the first full day at Los Logas (Sunday) crowded at the buffet breakfast and around the pool and springs. Only a dozen lounge chairs for maybe 50 people (many of these children) in and around pools and hot springs (small comparisoned to El Silencio). [Took a taxi into La Fortuna to Don Rufino's to watch the Super Bowl. Excellent restaurant w/ great food-- and open air sports bar. Monday was much less crowded when we returned from our SkyTrek Zipline trip-- quite an adventure for a nearly 60 year old! Recommend this to nearly anyone! ] Los Lagos is clean and well manicured and pleasant but the room was so-so with a cramped little bathroom with cold only sink faucet and little counter space but large, clean, tiled shower. AC good. Phone in room, but couldn't call international or even down the road to El Silencio. This place is suitable as a base for the adventuresome who want to sight see and be on the move. Lots of options from this location--not such a great place as a destination in itself. Nice bird and iguana population. Spent only 2 days here-- left Tuesday for Manuel Antonio by private tour van.

Room Tip: Must have a variety of rooms as another review remarked on spaciousness, counter space and storage...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
sycamore,il
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

This resort has beautiful Grounds and amenties, Rooms are large and clean, our room had a front covered porch that faced Arenal volcano and a rear porch that had a view of the lush costa Rican countryside. they also have a hot springs pool that is beautful that is feed by volcano heated water, it has a very fast waterslide that goes into the hot springs pool and swim up bar area. they also have a unheated pool that is also beautiful with a very very fast and long waterslide (Scary Fast !!!) Two childrens pools, 10 other smaller natural heated hot spring pools at different tempetures. Walking paths that have crocodiles,monkeys,birds,lizards to look at at. horseback riding, zip lining and a talipa fish pond. they have a breakfast buffet every morning, that has everything you would expect that is included with your room price. If going to La fortuna this is the resort to stay at !! Tabacon and Baldi hot springs hotels are alot more expensive with less amenties.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Great Falls, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Rooms were large and clean, lots of storage and counter space. Bathroom very nice with a huge shower. Beds comfortable.
Hotel grounds were spectacular.
Surprizingly few people in the hot springs after dark (got dark at about 7pm and hot springs "closed" at 10pm but we seemed to be free to use them whenever. Our rooms were right across from them, no fences or gates.
We happened across one of the waterslides one night. Be warned, it was super fast and somewhat scary not knowing what we were getting into but we kept going back it was so fun.
Restaurant was good. Buffet style. Loved watching the birds at breakfast. Don't leave a plate on a table near the trees unattended long unless you want them to come sample some fruit from it!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Detroit, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I ended up visiting the hot springs at Los Lagos after a day tour through a tour agency. As the title says, this place made me want to take a shower. I must preface all of this with the fact that I have a VERY reasonable idea of cleanliness, but a few of the things here were just disgusting. I must say there is no way I would ever, EVER, commit and pay money to go here. Not even one colon.

My mother, sister and I arrived at Los Lagos in the evening. We were ready for some R&R and our dinner. Things started to get really funky when we entered the ladies changing room. There was a palpable film of grime covering everything. My mother then went to go use the bathroom. Literally every single toilet stall in the changing area was filled with feces. My mother tried to flush two of the stalls so she could use one, but both of them were clogged. After my mother walked to another restroom, we tried to get changed and lock our belongings away. While we were changing there was a loud chorus of "ewww"s followed by the same looks of disgust from almost every other woman who entered the area. I then realized I had not brought any flip flops. I had been in on a beach town in Costa Rica for a month and was used to walking around without shoes happily all day. I dont know if the floor had not been mopped in a while, but the idea of going shoe less here made me actually grimace. The tiles were slippery and had a dirty tinge to them. We took a while to get changed, as if you are not ok with changing in front of everyone there are few places to change, and then proceeded to the hot springs.

The hot springs here were dark and had varying degrees of warmth and population. Some of the springs were frigid. The main one, near the bar, was absolutely packed. If you do decide to go here it will take a bit of exploration to find the hot spring that suits you. There were only one or two that were even semi enjoyable. While we were in the main hot spring I noticed several older tourists blatantly flirting with young teenagers. While I realize the hotel has no specific control over this, it just added to the general sleazy atmosphere. If I had teenage daughters I would feel uneasy about bringing them here and letting them wander around on their own. I watched the tourists chase the 16(ish) year old girls around the pool in amazement and left early to change and have some wine before dinner. Sadly me leaving early and turning my key in before my mother and sister turned into a huge debacle.

I removed all the things out of my locker and headed to the dining area. When I went to return my key there was no one there, and I waited for several minutes before finally handing my key off and explaining my sister would be by later. My mother and my sister came to join me about half an hour later. My sister was the one who originally procured and left the deposit for the locker keys. When my sister and mother went to return the last locker key and get their deposit back they were treated with disrespect and indifference. Firstly, my mother informed the lady at the desk that all the stalls were still (well over an hour later) filled with feces. She looked at my mother and shrugged. My sister then handed her the last key and asked for the deposit back. She proceeded to argue with my sister that the other key had not been returned. Please note this is the same woman who gave my sister the keys to begin with, and the same woman I returned my key to. The hilarious part of this whole situation is my sister kept saying "See Key number X! Its right there!" pointing at the key hanging up in its place. The woman however did not even bother to turn around and just kept shrugging and saying "No. No" After 5+ minutes of arguing, which had the woman offering no concrete reason not to give the deposit back and just saying "No" over and over again, the woman finally turned around saw the key was there, and my sister finally got her deposit back.

The dinner was edible and alright. The steak was normal Costa Rican quality, thin and overly well done. To his credit we had an excellent and efficient server. We drank our wine, ate our dinner, and left as quickly as possible.

To the owners of this hotel: You must remember that every single person working for you, from the person who cleans the bathrooms to the woman who gives out the locker room keys must do their job to the best of their ability. There is no excuse to have all of your toilets in the womens locker room filled with feces for over an hour. There is no excuse for every woman who walks into the locker room within a 20 minute time span to grimace at the cleanliness of the place. There is no reason the woman in charge of the lockeroom keys should abandon her post for minutes at a time (without someone standing in for her) and then be rude to customers on top of it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Halifax, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We go to Costa Rica and are used to remote settings away from all the tourism. This is a good way to see Arenal and the area and probably good if you're traveling with kids as there's things for them to do. The wildlife (coaties) were interesting and there's great restaurants around the area. We stayed two nights but one would have been better. We just don't like crowded touristy places. Place was clean and organized though.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Los Lagos Hotel Spa & Resort? Share your experiences!