“Fantastic experience!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Los Lagos Hotel Spa & Resort

You added Los Lagos Hotel Spa & Resort to your Saves list
Los Lagos Hotel Spa & Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6 km from Fortuna de San Carlos, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 506, Costa Rica   |
Pewaukee, Wisconsin
“Fantastic experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Los Lagos was even better than we expected. The grounds were beautiful and well kept. The food was exceptional, especially the fresh fruit and homemade cheese for breakfast buffet! It was tough to beat. The rooms were clean and larger than what we needed. The rooms are spread out throughout the grounds and the free shuttle service was prompt and friendly when called. That being said, the walk from the room to the pool and restaurant is worth the hike with a suspension bridge crossing the river on the way. The hot spring pool with the swim up bar was a great way to wrap up our evenings! We loved our stay and hope to go back with our kids someday.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Spring, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Great location, good prices, swim up bar is great. Breakfast is included and good. lot of free things on property to do. No WiFi outside lobby. Great observation center that is very close to volcano. Drink prices at bar is reasonable. Pina Colada's served proper in cored pineapple for only $8. Great Security. Rooms are ok but somewhat dimly lit.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to stay up the hill. The shuttle service is excellent.
Chico, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

We stayed here during our visit to Arenal Volcano National Park as the Lodge was booked up. The rooms were decent and the resort grounds were beautiful. There are water slides that were a lot of fun (even at my age). Enjoyed strolling through the grounds and seeing their gardens, etc. Good view of Arenal. Food was good. Only negative was the swim up bar at one of the hot pools. You have to wonder about the water quality there. Fun place though.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

This was the hotel I was most looking forward to, as it was the most expensive in our 10-day trip, had a hot springs pool, water slides for the kids, and looked so beautiful both in the entry and grounds.

My first disappointment was that we did not have wifi available in our rooms. (It is available in the lobby area.) Many of the other cheap tiny hotels we stayed at had free wifi in the rooms so our kids were unhappy that they had to sit in the lobby to use their devices.

The second disappointment came when after a long day of adventure, I wanted to take a hot shower but the water was room temperature at best set all the way at the hottest setting. It was this way both nights we stayed there whether I showered first or last in my party. The one thing I require in all of my hotels is a comfortable bed and a hot shower so this had already failed as a minimum requirement hotel.

My third disappoint was with the bathroom door handle. There was something defective and if you shut the door all the way (as instinctively you do when you go to the bathroom) you couldn't get back out without the help of someone on the outside of the bathroom door to hold the handle and let you out. This did not have to do with a lock setting, the door handle was somehow loose. Thank goodness I never went to the bathroom while no one was in the room or I would have been really upset.

Finally, the restaurant was the most over-priced of any that we went to in Costa Rica, which would have been fine had the portions not been TINY. I know that sometimes gourmet cuisine comes with limited portions, but when you are traveling with teenagers, you basically have to order two over-priced entrees to get enough for them to eat. Even their "fast food" menu which had burgers and chicken finger type of food had average portions for the price. Also, unlike many of the other hotels we stayed at, there really weren't other options within walking distance so you were just stuck having to eat at the hotel.

The redeeming things about this hotel was the pool/hot spring area and exhibits. The lovely hot spring pool had a slide with wetbar and jacuzzi-style jets, and the typical pool also had a water slide for the kids which made for enjoyable afternoons. Also the animal exhibits onsite such as the crocodiles, frogs, butterflies, were nice when you had a little time to burn.

Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

This will be a long one so get ready. About nine years ago, I visited Costa Rica five times and on each visit, we visited Los Lagos. I never actually stayed at the hotel itself, but always spent the day at the resort. I believe I visited Los Lagos about 10-11 times and spending the day there was always a good time. Sometimes the service at the bar was better at times then others. Since my experiences at the resort in the past were positive, I decided to stay at Los Lagos with my wife and two children (ages 2 and 7). The service when we arrived was ok, I was treated nice and was was attended to fairly quickly. However, when my wife and two children went inside to get their wrist bands, they stood around for about 10 minutes before anyone even acknowledged them. My wife reported that the two girls an guy who were behind the counter, looked at them, then started talking without even saying a word to her. My wife said that she has seen beggars walk into restaurants and are treated better then she was. Finally, my wife said something and they finally attended to her. My wife speaks Spanish, so a word to the management, make sure that your staff watched their tongue and the things they say while working, because one never knows who speaks Spanish. Sometimes workers should keep their personal business to their off-duty time.

So after that nightmare, we go to the room, if you want to call it a room. It might as well been a trailer. As soon as I walked up to the door, I could smell the musty, mildewy funk that was seeping through the door. I walked in and the smell was even worse. I went to open the windows, but there were no screens. I went to put on the exhaust fan and their wasn't one. I finally found the air conditioner control so I put in on full blast. This would have worked, but it is one of those in room units, so the same musty odor that is in the air is just being filtered through and blowing out a little colder. There is just no air circulation.

So we check the beds, first thing we did was take off all of the blankets and put down our towels that we brought with us and laid them out on the bed and pillows so we had an actual place to sleep. The beds were old, the mattresses were nasty and the bedding was ancient and seemed like it has been there since the 70's. The curtains were dusty and the inner see-through curtain had dead bugs stuck to it. We took a towel from the bathroom, dampened it, wiped the curtain, counter top and then the floor. I think there were more dead bugs on the floor then the windshield of my car. The molding around the doorway is not snug tot he wall and the room is exposed to the outdoors, so a lot of bugs entered the room. Broken lamps, cob webs, etc.

We checked the bathroom and after killing a number of bugs, we wiped it down the best we could. the bath room was just as stank as the rest of the room. There was mildew everywhere and dead bugs on the ceiling and walls. For a drain, there is a little hole in the corner of the shower.

So we decide to venture to the pool area. It was a far cry from what I remembered. The heated pool with the bar has seen better days. There were actually exposed wires hanging from that little island that they have in the middle of the pool. The bottom of the pool was filthy and you could see the dirt and filth build up in between the tiles. We spent a few minutes at the pool and called it a day.

The next day it rained all day, so that saved us from having to bring the kids to the filthy pool, however, we were stuck in a dark, stank room all day.

The next day we finally arrived and the sun was out, so we decided to explore a little. We visited crocodiles, butterflies, ants, etc and it was nothing to write home about. It was overgrown and obviously, like the rest of the hotel/resort not being tended to at all.

We did make one last attempt at the non-heated pool with the slide. It was a little better and cleaner, but the genius that build it, decided to put tile at the top of the steps and my daughter slipped and fell. A word of advice to the management, change the dumb floor tiles you have at the top of the stairs on the little round pool with the straight slide before someone gets seriously injured.

We were finally done with the nightmare of Los Lagos.

A couple things for management:

People we wearing street clothes in the pools.
There are exposed wires on the island in the bar pool.
Empty glasses all around the pool area, most accumulated in the kiddie pool area.

On a positive note, the breakfast was ok, it saved us from having to drive to town. It filled us just enough to hold us over for an extra early lunch.

Pictures will be posted as soon as we arrive home.

Room Tip: If you do decide to stay here, ask for a room that is away from the trailers and the horse stable. I...
Macon, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

Great breakfast. rooms were average. pools were nice. watersides were fun. Good value for the price.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
San Jose, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Located at the foothills of the Arenal volcano, the view is hard to beat.
Quality and variety of buffet breakfast very good.
Rooms, even tough superior ones, you can hear the room next door noises.
Bathroom outdated
Beautiful and expansive gardens
Nice hot water pools

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Los Lagos Hotel Spa & Resort? Share your experiences!