My wife and I traveled with another couple to Arenal and stayed at Los Lagos from Feb 10 through Feb 12. The four of us stayed in a two bedroom superior duplex (rooms 248 & 249).
The front desk was quick and helpful. They give you a key for the safe as well as the electronic keys for your place which you may also need to keep the lights on. There is gated security at the only entrance to the resort, and they check for a bracelet each time you enter and also raise the gates when you exit.
The rooms are spacious with two queen beds and plenty of extra room. The beds were on the firmer side and the linens were clean, although they do not include comforters on the bed, but you can get one if you ask. The bathroom towels were clean and the maid does come to make the bed and replace your soiled bathroom items on a daily basis. The amenities (TV & safe) worked well, although I never could figure out how to set the time on the alarm clock. There were a few times when the entire grounds would go dark, due to a power surge, but it never lasted for more than a couple of minutes. The view of the volcano from our back porch was spectacular, as it also overlooked the main horse grazing pasture. The grounds were beautiful with many different flowering plant species and several different kinds of brightly colored birds flying around, I even saw a toucan on a walk I went on at the very top of the property.
The thermal and regular pools were all clean and comfortable. We only went into the thermal pools, and they were all very relaxing, but not too hot as to be uncomfortable. The service at the pool side swim up bar was good and they served us our libations in a timely manner.
The spa experience was some of the best spent money of the entire trip. My wife and I both signed up for the special, which was $75 for a facial and a Swedish massage. The whole process lasted about an hour and fifteen minutes, but it was a struggle to remain awake, because it was so relaxing. I do not normally get massages and I've never had a facial before, but it was one of the best massages I've had.
The breakfast buffet was solid, with many different fresh fruits and different hot foods were available each day. The common eating area is covered but is open air and overlooks the garden where all the exhibits are kept (frog, leaf-cutter, croc & butterfly gardens). Your coffee cup is continually being refilled and the orange juice is excellent. We ate dinner there one night for sushi night. The service was good, but I was a little disappointed by the sushi selection. I was thinking more along the lines of sashimi, but it was all rolls. The sushi was good, but I was hoping for a little more variety.
The property is sprawling and is located at the foot of a volcano, thus it is very hilly. We had no problems walking up and down the paths that include a hanging bridge. If you have mobility issues, or do not feel like walking, they do have vans that will come and drive you to wherever you need to go in a reasonable amount of time. Parking space is also ample, should you decide to bring an automobile.
The best thing about this place is all the different activities available on the property (zip lining, horse back riding, the animal exhibits, volcano trail, thermal pools) and the location: on a good road at the base of Arenal, yet only a few minute drive to La Fortuna. The animal exhibits were neat, but you really need to look hard for the frogs (we counted four about the size of a quarter in about a 1,000 sq ft enclosure, I'm sure there were more, but they were hiding). For all the amenities, this place is a great value and would be an excellent place to bring the entire family, but is also nice enough for a romantic get-away.
If you have the time, try walking to the top of the volcano viewing spot. The views from the trail alone are worth it, but is also where I saw the toucan, some sort of raptor and another bird about the size of a turkey, as well as leaf-cutter ants doing there business on the side of the trail and there are many different types of small flowers. If you cannot do the walk, then drive to the top, the trail is bumpy, but the view of the volcano sitting atop the lake is inspiring.
I would go back to Los Lagos if we return to Arenal. The only reason I listed it as very good instead of excellent, is due to the high-end facilities in the area (Tobacon) that are likely more spectacular, but also more expensive.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Volcano Resort with 1050 acres of tropical forest and wide landscapes, clear, safe and spectacular view to Arenal Volcano, wide tropical gardens with butterflies, frogs, crocodiles and leave cutter ants. An exclusive resort with its own 13 platform Canopy Tours, Horseback Riding Tours, and spectacular observation point at the property, other facilities is an exclusive Spa facing a primary forest and surroundings of water and their signature Arenal Volcano Clay Wrap. At Los Lagos Resort we offer 7 different pools, 4 with natural hot springs and 3 regular water pools available. We offer 98 rooms, International restaurant, souvenir shop, tours, web bar and free internet. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Priceline, BookingOdigeoWL and Otel so you can book your Los Lagos Hotel Spa & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Los Lagos Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Los Lagos Hotel Spa And Resort
- Hotel Los Lagos
- Los Lagos Hotel Spa & Resort Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park