Stayed here recently for two nights as part of a group tour. It is in a great location close to Arenal Volcano and a bunch of outdoor activities. On the banks of the San Carlos river, the Lodge is set on 20 or so acres of nicely manicured grounds loaded with exotic birds, iguanas and other interesting beasties of the tropics. There is a soccer field, pool, hot tub, and a butterfly house in a state of semi-disrepair.
The Lodge is a fairly basic 2.5-star motel affair with several 2-story buildings stretched out for several hundred yards along the river. The rooms are large and each has two queen-sized beds. The floors are tiled and the bathrooms are shower-stalls only. There is little TV reception and no internet to speak of. If you are in need of laundry service, their prices are very reasonable when compared to most hotels.
The restaurant/bar is near the main building and the pool. They try hard, but their reach exceeds their grasp. Breakfast and anything else served buffet style tends to be decent enough. But as soon as you start ordering from their menu, watch out! The food quality ranges from mediocre to slightly above average, but the service is inept and the pace can be downright glacial. But they are so friendly that it's hard to get to get your nose too far out of joint about their shortcomings. Wine and other bar drinks are reasonably priced (and available poolside). Also you'll want to apply insect repellent before coming to the dining room as it is open to the outside and you could become the meal.
All in all, I would gladly stay here again were I to be traveling in the area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Standard rooms and junior suites spread over the San Carlos River Edge at Arenal Volcano Area. Exceptional Katira restaurant offering a selected international and typical menu and the best facilities in our 5 special events halls. Three swimming pools, sauna, jacuzzi, private forest, sport facilities and much more! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Despegar.com, Priceline and Hotels.com so you can book your Tilajari Hotel Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tilajari Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Tilajari Hotel Resort Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park