My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon. We booked the hotel through [--]Swiss Travel Services, and were pleased with the location, the lodging, the service, the food, and everything else - in every way. We had originally booked a standard room, but because they knew we were coming on our honeymoon, they gave us a free upgrade at the time of our arrival. We had to ask the front desk for help several times - for suggestions on where to eat, for directions, for help with printing something off their computors, and everyone was extremely helpful, particularly a young lady whose name we never caught, Roy, and Uriel.
The grounds are beautiful and lush, the buffet breakfast is very good (lots of fresh fruit and some typical costa rican breakfast food), the restaurant location is nice, looking out onto the grounds and the river. They have resident iguanas that will entertain you while you eat. The pool and hot tub are also excellent, and the rooms were kept spotless, with fresh towels every day.
We took the canopy tour, starting with a horseback ride - and they made special accomodations for us to go at the last minute. It was a blast.
The hotel is about 20 minutes from La Fortuna, which is at the base of the volcano, so while the restaurant at the hotel is good, we actually ate in town every night. Our main restaurant recommendation would be La Choza del Laurel - their casado is great. Don Rufino's was also excellent - try their Aztez tortilla soup - it literally was one of the best soups I've ever tasted.
Also make sure to go to the La Fortuna waterfall - you can swim right at the base of the falls, and it's a wonderful experience.
They do have groups of soccer teams come in, because the hotel has a soccer field and I guess they hold practices there, so it was nosy at times, but the grounds are so large that I think you can probably avoid the teams if you want. Also, they are out practicing during the day, so while at night and in the morning it gets busy and somewhat nosy, if you're there during the day, you may have the place to yourself.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Standard rooms and junior suites spread over the San Carlos River Edge at Arenal Volcano Area. Exceptional Katira restaurant offering a selected international and typical menu and the best facilities in our 5 special events halls. Three swimming pools, sauna, jacuzzi, private forest, sport facilities and much more! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Despegar.com and Hotels.com so you can book your Tilajari Hotel Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tilajari Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Tilajari Hotel Resort Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park