“Probably one of the best soft adventure luxury hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Resort

You added Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Resort to your Saves list
Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   13 Km Northwest la Fortuna de San Carlos | Arenal, Alajuela, Costa Rica, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica   |
GreenLeadersGold level
Hong Kong
“Probably one of the best soft adventure luxury hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2009

It was our first time to Costa Rica and someone had recommended spending time up in the rainforest instead of the beaches. What a surprise to find such a luxury resort at the foot of an active volcano. The resort has superb dining experiences including dining in a small hut tucked away in the middle of he rain forest with our own chefs preparing a five course dinner while we watched. The hotel also has a surreal spa which takes advantage of the many hot springs which are warmed by the core of the volcano, They even have a spiritual experience with their local Shama. The trekking around the resort is simply breath taking. Having stayed in tropical resorts on many occasions I challenge anyone to recommend a resort of this calibre in a similar environment. We will be back.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
  • Hebrew first
Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2009

The Tabacon Resort is the most beautiful place I have ever been! The natural hot springs flow through the grounds of the resort with colorful Costa Rican flowers surrounding the springs. I had the Tabacon Massage with real volcanic mud and I had a private hot spring to go into after the massage. Los Tucanes, the restaurant, really provides 5 star food and service. The resort grounds are breathtaking; it is so perfect that you can not imagine you are in a real place. The staff was so kind and anticipatory with all requests. The resort offers many excursions to see the Costa Rican wildlife as well. I would recommend the Tabacon Resort to anyone who is travelling to Costa Rica, especially for romantic or relaxing vacations.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Durham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2009

One of the best experience we have ever had!! The hotel staff is really nice. Our server Anthony remained our server for everyday breakfast, lunch and dinner.. he even brought our room service food one night when we just wanted to stay in. The resturant was pricey but it is after all a five star place. I wanted to eat an authentic dish with heart of palms.. they didn't have any on the menu. All I had to do was mention it to Anthony and he went into town to buy all the stuff to make the dish especially for me!! Now that I call service.
The hot springs were really nice. Although we were there during peak season we always managed to find quiet spots and relaxed.
All the activities arranged by the hotel were excellent.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Green Cove Springs
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2009

I booked a family vacation at the resort in Sept. 2008. On the last day of my stay I tried several times to pay my departure tax. Each time I was told that their computers were down. I finally was told at 10 pm that they could now accept the tax but that I would have to go back to my room for my passport. I had to walk to my room in the dark on a brick pathway. I caught my foot on the edge of a brick and fell and was seriously hurt. The resort told me for months that their attorney would contact me to help with my injuries. Got their response 8 months later. They say they bear no responsibility for what happened. Apparently the uneven brick pathways are not their responsibilty. Beware!!!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2009

The grand spa and hot springs are very nice. However, the price of this hotel is exorbinant for somewhat sub-par rooms and service. Other hotels in the area are much better for less cost. They nickle and dime you and even charge for internet!!!! We were disappointed and expecting much more. The hot springs are worth a day trip, but I would not stay here again. Staff was not as hospitable as I would have liked, drinks are too expensive and the pool is lackluster.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
orlando
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2009

We went to Costa Rica for 4 nights just to visit the Arenal Volcano Area. We stayed only one night (the last night of our stay) at the Tabacon Hot Springs Resort because you get the benefit of the free entrance to the Hot Springs. We were able to visit the springs the full day on our arrival day, even though our room would be ready by 3 P.M., and the full day on our departure day. The hot springs are extraordinary, a unique experience!!!!!

Our room at Tabacon was large, beds were okay. The bathroom was big and nice. But nothing was really unique about this rooms. No "wow" factor. Forest View was nice.

In conclusion, don't stay at this resort for your complete visit to Arenal, stay only one night and enjoy the hot springs. Then, stay in more affordable and UNIQUE rooms like the ones at Hotel Mountain Paradise, where you get a full free breakfast and they treat you with a frozen cocktail when you arrive. Or their next door hotel the Arenal Nayara. These two properties are WOW!!! Their view of the volcano it's spectacular!! I give them both 55555!!!!!

Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
san francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2009

I was a bit worried about the mixed reviews, and I think this property deserves mixed reviews. It is a mixed bag, for sure. However, the hot springs are amazing. We were there in April, and they were not too crowded which was nice. However, if you walk further than the main pools, there are so many hidden gems and lovely pools. I thought the springs were really out of this world. I did not mind walking or taking a shuttle. Not a big deal! As for price, it's worth it to stay here, because to come just for the springs is expensive. They have great internet deals at this hotel. The rooms vary considerably. I was a bit of a pain at the front desk and saw three rooms. A forest view (very large with jacuzzi tub); a superior double (very small and not too nice) and our final room (wonderful and incredible), with a king bed, and huge mosaic jacuzzi, beautiful bathroom and porch looking into the jungle. Really like night and day, so you need to keep this in mind. The great room made the stay for me! The breakfast is delicious and worth the price. The dinners were hard--too expensive even for a nice hotel, so we ate at the buffet (at the springs) which was okay, not great (and $34 per person--I thought way too pricey), but we were relaxed and didn't want to go into town. The swim up bar food was good, not great. We drove to the Arenal Observatory Lodge to see the Volcano, which was awesome. We also did a Cano Negro boat ride through Canoa Aventura which was stellar. My kids and husband did zipling. I went to the spa (included in my room price) which was wonderful! Outdoor massage, saw a cool snake and could hear the beautiful falls. So, I'd say, when in Arenal, Tabacon is a great choice, if you don't set your expectations of the hotel itself too high. And I agree that the staff could overall be nicer. The other wonderful places we stayed in in Costa Rica had lovely, sweet, staff. We drove to Tabacon from San Jose, which was fine and quite lovely, but agree with other reviewers if you rent a car in CR, must have GPS!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Been to Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Resort? Share your experiences!