“lovely hotel and spa” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Resort

Save Saved
You added Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Resort to your Saves list
Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   13 Km Northwest la Fortuna de San Carlos | Arenal, Alajuela, Costa Rica, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Seattle, Washington
“lovely hotel and spa”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

The room was lovely but the hot springs were amazing. We decided to splurge on the hotel to get full access to the hot springs. Its low season (end of Sept) so the hotsprings were almost empty. It is a ways out of town but it was a great place. Food at the hotel and Spa was really expensive and not included we didn't eatthere so I can't speak to the quality.

Room Tip: We were offered and upgrade to an amazing room for and extra 50 per night. We decided not to do it b...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
TabaconGuestService, Manager at Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Resort, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear igotmojo

Thank you so much for your appraisal, it is very rewarding to be informed about the pleasant experience you had during your stay with us. Our unique thermal springs emerge directly from the volcano forming cascades and pools with different temperatures but all of them with a high mineral content, offering our guests the opportunity to take relaxation to its maximum level. In regards to cuisine we do offer different options: buffet, a la carte, special snacks menus in our lobby bar as well as in our pool bar, so you can choose between different price ranges depending on your personal desires or take advantage of our packages if staying multiple nights. We look forward to your next visit.

Warm Regards
Resort Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We stayed with our family at the resort for two nights in August. We cannot enough about what a wonderful vacation experience this was. The location is beautiful, scenery breathtaking, rooms were exquisite and the personnel there, most helpful and friendly. The spa and the pool settings are to die for. The drinks by the poolside were great and the food was always good. We cannot wait to go back and spend more time here. Our room was one of the upgraded rooms (large and cozy) and we would highly recommend this upgrade. If one is looking for an ideal hot spring and spa facility in the middle of a most serene and tranquil rainforest, this is it. It just doesn't get any better.

Room Tip: Definitely go for the room upgrade which may cost a bit more but WELL worth the extra. We had a cor...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear babuthomas

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, we firmly believe that every single detail is part of Tabacon experience. Check in process, your room, our food and beverage options as well as the natural healing thermal springs are key moments in which your experience becomes more enjoyable. We are happy to know that you took advantage of the room upgrade, our suites are very luxurious and spacious all of them with impressive forest views. Our natural environment helps turn vacations into moments of perfect relaxation, we hope to see you soon!

Warm Regards
Yendry Espinoza Resort Manager
tel-aviv
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We stayed at this hotel several years ago & had an outstanding experience so I recommended it to my friends & people who asked me for high quality accommodation in that area. My younger son & his girl friend stayed at this hotel for three nights starting the 21st (room 407) & experienced a shameful incident (shameful because nobody expect such an incident & the way the hotel stuff reacted to it to take place in a luxerious hotel as tabacon). They left the room for one hour & when they were back 625$ were missing taken out from their wallet.when my son complained to staff members at the front desk; they checked who were the staff members that entered the room, there was only one found. They were quite surprised when realized who was the lady in question. Instead of confronting the lady & asking her for the missing money they told my sonthat she is reliable & gave him the phone number of the police.It was their duty to resolve the problem especially when the identity of the person who took the money was known to them.
certainly never again go back or recommend this hotel to my acquaintance. I hope my review is going to be published it is important to know what to expect especially regarding personal safety.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
TabaconGuestService, General Manager at Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Resort, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Thank you for your taking the time to share your review. We are extremely sorry for the unfortunate series of events you describe. This is the most disappointing experience for any Hotel. At the same time, I assure you that all our staff are screened through a very stringent background process, references and psychometric analysis before being offered employment. Our 24hour security personnel patrols the area with frequent unannounced inspections. You will note, local laws mandate for the person with interest to report any incident to the authorities. Although our staff should have perhaps demonstrated more sensibility, we have an obligation to inform our guests of the required process. Additionally, as much as we may believe that the employee in question may be responsible for the loss, the law does not permit us to dismiss the person without legal proof. We have however, internally, disciplined the individual and have noted her file accordingly. I want to assure you, this is an isolated, extremely rare incident. We have in addition reinforced and revamped our security and risk management process to eliminate even the slightest possibility of recurrence. If I may, as a closing note, occasionally, our guests are remiss of monies they may have spent at various locations and may travel under the belief their belongings were removed without their authorization from the room. Once again, our sincerest apologies for all the incoveneince incurred. I remain at your service, if there is anything else I can do from this end.
Beersheba, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Nothing to add more than a top quality 5 star resort. Great time there. the spa treatment were amazing. gret breakefast buffet but the only problem was that the pool in the resort was closed and no one informed us but the spring were great instead.

Dear ylorig

We deeply appreciate your review! We are really happy to know that you did enjoyed Tabacon experience. Our Spa is the perfect complement for a relaxing experience, where all treatments are rendered in open air bungalows in the heart of the rainforest, while you receive your treatment, the sounds of the thermal springs river is always present. If staying multiple nights we highly recommend our special resort packages that includes a spa credit for you to enjoy a spa treatment as for example a volcanic mud massage or a couples massage. We hope to receive you as our guest in the near future!

Regards
Cedarburg, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Thank you to the Tabacon staff for a wonderful experience. From the welcome drink and warm towel, to the fresh fruit and welcoming note in my room, everything exceeded expectations. All requests were met promptly and with smiles by the staff. My room was excellent, spacious, clean, gorgeous. Feather bedtopper, down pillows, great days in the thermal pools- sleep came easily. I felt pampered. I spent quite a bit of time in the thermal pools and definitely felt that they were therapeutic. I found the both restaurants to be exceptional- again with very helpful staff. The clean air, sunshine, healthy food all helped me to feel my best. Felt safe at the resort, in town, and at every experience that we attended in the Arenal area. Very nice touches such as a thank you for staying with us departure note from the manager complete with small desserts all combined to make this a very positive memorable vacation for my son and I. Will be hoping for a return vacation in the future.

Room Tip: My room was Suite 604. Had an adjoining room which was handy b/c my adult son was staying in it (606...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Bartie B

Thank you for taking the time and share your review with us, we appreciate it. We are extremely happy to know you and your son enjoyed your stay with us. Our healing thermal mineral springs emerge from the majestic Arenal volcano forming cascades and natural pools and ponds, our hotel guest receives complimentary access to the hot springs resort during their stay. Our main objective is to offer a world-class service and we know that attention to details makes the difference so we customized our guest´s experience as the beautiful example you share in regards to the departure note and desserts. we look forward to serve you again and share with you the wonders of nature that are always present at Tabacon.

Sincerely
Canby
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Arrived very late with no reservation - good thing it wasn't a problem at all . We got a great room with a balcony . As I got settled I thought I seen fire flies on our porch after driving all day I was quiet exhausted so I guess my eyes were fuzzy - anyhow - went out on the balcony to get a closer look - as I got closer , about three inches from my face I realize they weren't fire flies at all it was a HUGE , I mean huge bat hanging upside down and it was blinking its eyes that was the light I was seeing - I screamed and ran falling to the ground in laughter - I love this place so and all of its wild life a trip of a life time !

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

This hotel is another golden gem of Costa Rica, and their reputation still servers them. The grounds are perfect, the staff is nice, and the rooms are small but kept up. If I had one wish it would be that volcano still erupting! unfortunately, all it does now is steam a little.. but the pools in the spa are still hot, and the different areas of the springs go FOREVER! plenty of privacy and comfort. the massages are expensive, and other than the lava mud, its the same as anywhere in paradise. Mine was fan-tastic, my newlywed didn't appreciate the required nudity for the massage so hers was a little awkward, but I'm sure that could have been avoided--as well as asking for more pressure. I also went home with a couple pieces from the Indian guy outside the spa.. again, expensive, but really nice and something I'll have forever. hand carved and painted- not the same as something found in the World Market around the US.

The food was expensive and not that good. Drinks are a killer at $6+. Other than those optional items, this is the place to stay!!

Room Tip: I'm sure all the rooms are nice.. skip the food and drinks here. Plenty of good restaurants arou...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Resort? Share your experiences!