I just got back from my Costa Rican honeymoon a few days ago. This was the first hotel my husband and I stayed at, and we were there 3 nights. We got welcoming drinks and were shown to our room quickly. It was the first time I had ever seen anywhere so tropical, the fauna was amazing to me. The Arenal area was the most rainforesty areas we visited. Since it was our honeymoon we received complimentary fruit platter and WINE! It was really good wine. Our room had a view of the volcano, but it was rarely visible on the days we stayed there, which really wasn't a huge deal for us, we were excited to be in a rainforest. We loved the hot springs, they were very romantic and perfect for a honeymoon. A couple of times when we first walked in it would seem very busy, but the place is really large so once you get away from the main area it isn't that hard to find a little bit of privacy. Overall the springs are an odd mix of natural and man-made, but I think it works really well. The other hot springs in the area didn't sound nearly as nice or as peaceful.
Our first night we ate at the fancy restaurant on the hotel grounds. We had to wait a little bit since we didn't make a reservation, even though it was pretty empty since we ran over to it in the middle of a downpour. It was very expensive, but I liked our waiter and I thought the food was pretty good. My husband wasn't too impressed. The next night we ate at the main restaurant in the hot springs area (the hot springs is a short walk down the road in a separate facility). They have a themed buffet every night. The night we went it was Mediterranean. Matt got the buffet, but I have weird aversion to buffets and wanted to see their tandoori menu which they have available. The waiter was kind of stand offish about it and was trying to discourage me from ordering from that menu. I did anyways and I loved the food. I got the chicken dish, it came with lentils and naan and it was really good. My husband got a lot of food from the buffet, but he said my food was better. We think they get most of their money from the buffet. Our last night we just got snacks from the pool bar area because we had a large lunch. We got the nachos which were pretty good, but messy and the fish ceviche, which I quite enjoyed with the plantains. Oh yeah, one morning we ordered room service for breakfast since we had to leave early, we got the Costa Rican breakfast and split it. It was really good.
Overall we enjoyed our stay at Tabacon, we had a good time, our room as nice and the food was good. The hot springs were the best part about staying here. The only major downside is the location, it is fairly far away from the main town La Fortuna and they charge $30 round trip from the hotel. We felt pretty isolated and it would've been nice to have more dinner options and just be able to explore the town. It looked like a nice place to walk around and explore the shops, though it is definitely a tourist town. I think they should offer a free shuttle to and from the hotel and town at least at certain times of the day.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the heart of the tropical rainforest at the base of the majestic Arenal Volcano in the northern Region of Costa Rica. This five-star carbon neutral resort offers a unique blend of nature, adventure and relaxation. A member of The Leading Hotels of the World, Tabacon provides luxurious accommodations, services and amenities in a picture-perfect natural setting. The resort's unique healing thermal mineral spring river emerge from the volcanic earth, cascading to form waterfalls, streams, tranquil pools and ponds. Explore Shangri-La Gardens an hotel guests and adults-only hideaway, delight your senses with world- class cuisine inspired by local fares or surprise that special person with a gala dinner in the middle of the rainforest. Inside the gardens is the resort's Grand Spa, member of The Leading Spas of the World which combines a beautiful location with a singular spa experience, where treatments are rendered in open air bungalows all of them with private jacuzzi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, BookIt.com, Tablet Hotels, Cheap Tickets, Tingo, Priceline, Hotels.com, Booking.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Tabacon Grand Hotel Thermal
- Tabacon Grand Resort Thermal
- Tabacon Resort
- Tabacon Hot Springs
- Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Resort Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park