When researching where to stay in La Fortuna I realized how expensive admission to the Tabacon Garden Hotspring's was. This Hotsprings area was recommended to me so I really wanted to visit for the evening. Since we were travelling in the off season we were able to make a reservation for just 1 night (usually a 2 night min here). The rate was also considerably less than during high season. Since we were going to visit the Hotsprings anyways, we decided it was a fairly good value. After being here, I can honestly say that I would never pay the 'regular' price to stay at this resort.
The Resort and the grounds are very beautiful and well maintained. We stayed in a Superior Room with 2 beds. The room was nicely appointed and large. There are 2 robes, slippers, mini bar (charge), safe, toaster, large tea selection, coffee and coffee maker. Bathroom has nice amenities also. We had a garden view out the back with patio doors. Beds were very comfortable. Room was very clean.
Getting to the Springs is less than 10 min walk or a provided shuttle. The Springs area is stunning, they have kept it in a very natural state. There are many different pools of varying hotness. They provide towels, locker keys, water cooler with cups to stay cool. The pool area with waterslide and swim up bar is also very nice. This is the area where the Buffet Restaurant is located.
The food at this resort is outrageously priced! The problem is that this resort is located approx. 10 minutes outside of La Fortuna, so if you do not have a car you are essentially 'trapped'. I think the Resort is really taking advantage of guests in this situation. The taxi to town is a set rate of $15 each way so to drive to town for a meal is $30 before you even eat. Just out of principal I did not purchase any food or drinks at the resort. We were able to pay the $30 taxi fare, eat a good meal in town & still pay less that we would have eating at the resort. For example: the breakfast buffet at Tabacon is $30 per person! I'm sure it is delicious, but that is a rip off. The cheapest food I could see here was at the lobby bar you could order a basic sandwich for $16. I recommend the resort lower their prices and more guests will choose to stay onsite to eat. I do not enjoy feeling like I am being taken advantage of.
Would I stay here again? Possibly if I was able to get a discounted rate. I can not fault the hotel at all it is very beautiful and worth visiting just for the Hotsprings alone.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the heart of the tropical rainforest at the base of the majestic Arenal Volcano in the northern Region of Costa Rica. This five-star carbon neutral resort offers a unique blend of nature, adventure and relaxation. A member of The Leading Hotels of the World, Tabacon provides luxurious accommodations, services and amenities in a picture-perfect natural setting. The resort's unique healing thermal mineral spring river emerge from the volcanic earth, cascading to form waterfalls, streams, tranquil pools and ponds. Explore Shangri-La Gardens an hotel guests and adults-only hideaway, delight your senses with world- class cuisine inspired by local fares or surprise that special person with a gala dinner in the middle of the rainforest. Inside the gardens is the resort's Grand Spa, member of The Leading Spas of the World which combines a beautiful location with a singular spa experience, where treatments are rendered in open air bungalows all of them with private jacuzzi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Tablet Hotels, Amex, Priceline, BookingOdigeoWL, Hotels.com, Venere, Otel, Jetsetter and Tingo so you can book your Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Tabacon Grand Hotel Thermal
- Tabacon Grand Resort Thermal
- Tabacon Resort
- Tabacon Hot Springs
- Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Resort Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park