“Once in a lifetime experience! 5 stars all around! Amazing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Resort

Save Saved
You added Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Resort to your Saves list
Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   13 Km Northwest la Fortuna de San Carlos | Arenal, Alajuela, Costa Rica, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
denver
“Once in a lifetime experience! 5 stars all around! Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I have fortunately had the chance to stay here two times so far, and I WILL go back. What an amazing place. Where to start... the service is outstanding, the food and the drinks are great, the thermal spa and pools are the best I have ever been to and I have traveled around the world. The price is very very high for the drinks and hotel, but if you can get just one night, do that! The location is perfect!

1,708 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

What a magical place! The room was great, and the hot springs were amazing! If you want to visit the springs, it's definitely worth staying there since it's $60 per person to visit the hot springs. Close enough to the springs to walk from the hotel.

Very romantic to stroll around finding little nooks and cranny's to hang out in. Highly recommend! We also got a couples massage and it was wonderful. It was all outside and near the river. It was great to be amongst the nature for that.

Englewood, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Go here. Stop researching and please just go here. This place is unreal - beautiful, fun, romantic, and relaxing. There are so many different hot springs and waterfalls to explore and you can also have lunch/dinner. We had lunch and it was very yummy. Earlier in the day we went horse back riding near the arenal volcano and it felt SO GOOD to dip in the warm natural pools after all that activity. There is also an adult only 'garden' with lounge furniture where you can continue exploring the hot springs and also grab a drink or a nap ;)

Tip: go during the day but stay after sunset. The place is so fun to explore at night as well!

This was the absolute highlight of our costa rican vacay!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
TabaconGuestService, Manager at Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Resort, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Masha05,
We are thankful for your comments.Tabacon main philosophy is to offer a memorable experience to all our guests and we are glad to know we met your expectations, the hot springs and the rainforest make our resort a unique place to relax. In the resort as you experienced there are more than 20 different pools, ponds and cascades all of them with different temperatures and a high mineral content. We do have several options, our hotel guest have in their room rate the access to the hot springs included but we also offer Day Passes where our guest can add one or two meals. We also have the Day Spa Package Deals, so you can add an spa treatment in an open air bungalow during your visit to complement the thermal experience of an unforgettable vacation. We really look forward to receive you as our guest in the near future.

With kindest regards
Yendry Espinoza
Resort Manager
Twickenham
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Reading reviews we must be in the wrong place, hotel is a series of car parks with motel like blocks. Room 403 is tired and shabby with huge empty space by window looking onto dense planted border, no view whatsoever. You have to squeeze between large 4X4s to even get to your room.
The spa and springs are a shuttle ride away or a 15 minute walk down a main road, thermal waters are ok but all a bit contrived, not natural in the least, lushly planted with no view of Arenal until back on the main road. Very disappointing would not advise staying here, Baldi hot springs far superior in every way.

Room Tip: Stay away from Tenorio block
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

This is the closest to heaven I have ever been. Wonderful, beautiful grounds and thermal pools. JUST like the pictures show. No kidding. Our pictures came out like they were pictures from the web site pictures of TABACON. Everyone is pleasant. Food is, like others have stated, a bit on the expensive side. But staying there is worth every penny of it. Spa is also a great place to go. It is SO great to be in your hotel room and see a rainforest right out of your bed AND from your shower. THANK YOU for such a grand piece of heaven. We also went with my sister-in-law and 18 years old nephew. So it is NOT just for honeymooners. It is a family event.

Room Tip: We got rooms 705 and 706 called the Rainforest. Next to each other. WONDERFUL rooms. Only probl...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Broomfield, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

I picked Tabacon based mostly on tripadvisor reports so I know how important these reviews are to fellow travelers. My family (husband and children 9 & 10) and I visited March 26 - 28, 2013. We booked a Tabacon Suite (two full beds) - although I believe they were queen beds. The room was the best room we had in all of Costa Rica. The mattresses were so comfortable and the room itself was fabulous! While I would prefer a '2 room' suite with the family, this room was very roomy with the 2 beds, dining room table and chairs, living area (with a pull out sofa), and the best part - a massive bathroom that included a rain shower, jet tub, 2 sinks, a toilet and bidet behind an additional door, closets, sit down make-up counter, and (drum roll please) a TV! Seriously, I spent the majority of my time in here :)

I don't know if it was the 'suite' that we booked or their normal course of business but we were treated so well! Upon arrival, we were offered fruity drinks (my son even asked for one on the second day and he was given another one for free). We were also treated so kindly upon check in by all the staff. Imagine my delight when our room was STEPS from the front desk. Oh, and EVERYTHING is outdoors (no walls). This is typical of Costa Rica - everywhere!

This hotel and destination felt like the 'obligatory' place for me BEFORE we arrived and yet, it ended up being my favorite spot in Costa Rica. The room, the hotel, the spot - it was all fabulous. Of course, it wouldn't have been this great without the access to the hot springs at Tabacon. The kids and my husband and I LOVED the hot springs! They were relaxing, fun, explorative, and enjoyable. I only wish I had tried out the spa!

The "bad" part of this hotel (I hate to say "bad" but this is the downside so here it goes)...the restaurants/cost of food. Luckily, we had a car. With our nice amenities in the room (like the fridge), we had breakfast in the room each day - croissants, fruit, and juice. We ate in La Fortuna for lunch and around Arenal/La Fortuna for dinner (Soda Vaquez - fabulous!, Rain Forest - Really good!, Benedictus - YUMMMY! but a slow dinner for children).

A few more tidbits - free coffee service begins at sunrise (~5:30am) and ends by 7:30 or when it is gone. So if you want the free coffee and milk in the lobby, get there early! As for the regular rooms, we did see them and they were similar to American hotel rooms. They seemed just fine but truly, my 5 star rating is due to the room. Even if I didn't have to get a large room (for the 4 of us), I would book a suite based on my experience and the massive bathroom (I still miss it!!)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We were upgraded to the Rainforest Suite which was very good as it was in the main building. It was beautiful. Very peaceful and we could open the sliding doors of the windiows and hear all the sounds of the different birds. The service was first class. Though it is a big place we did not seem lost. The main restaurant is far above fine dining. The food, service and ambiance is so relaxing and delicious. The waiters cannot do enough for you. Very attentive and very courteous. Everyone at the resort speaks fluent English.
The thermal spa is to die for. The water is very clean and warm. You can stay in there all day. They even have a separate section for adults only. We did a one hour massage treatment which is done outside in a private section which was very relaxing.
This was a girls trip and my girl friend and I had a great stay there. I would highly highly recommend this resort it is absolutely amazing.
They have a shuttle that takes about 5 minutes to the hot springs.

Room Tip: The suites are located in the main building the rest of the rooms are spread around the property
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Resort? Share your experiences!