“WOW - What a GRAND place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Resort

Save Saved
You added Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Resort to your Saves list
Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   13 Km Northwest la Fortuna de San Carlos | Arenal, Alajuela, Costa Rica, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Orlando, Florida
“WOW - What a GRAND place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

This is the closest to heaven I have ever been. Wonderful, beautiful grounds and thermal pools. JUST like the pictures show. No kidding. Our pictures came out like they were pictures from the web site pictures of TABACON. Everyone is pleasant. Food is, like others have stated, a bit on the expensive side. But staying there is worth every penny of it. Spa is also a great place to go. It is SO great to be in your hotel room and see a rainforest right out of your bed AND from your shower. THANK YOU for such a grand piece of heaven. We also went with my sister-in-law and 18 years old nephew. So it is NOT just for honeymooners. It is a family event.

Room Tip: We got rooms 705 and 706 called the Rainforest. Next to each other. WONDERFUL rooms. Only probl...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

1,734 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Broomfield, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

I picked Tabacon based mostly on tripadvisor reports so I know how important these reviews are to fellow travelers. My family (husband and children 9 & 10) and I visited March 26 - 28, 2013. We booked a Tabacon Suite (two full beds) - although I believe they were queen beds. The room was the best room we had in all of Costa Rica. The mattresses were so comfortable and the room itself was fabulous! While I would prefer a '2 room' suite with the family, this room was very roomy with the 2 beds, dining room table and chairs, living area (with a pull out sofa), and the best part - a massive bathroom that included a rain shower, jet tub, 2 sinks, a toilet and bidet behind an additional door, closets, sit down make-up counter, and (drum roll please) a TV! Seriously, I spent the majority of my time in here :)

I don't know if it was the 'suite' that we booked or their normal course of business but we were treated so well! Upon arrival, we were offered fruity drinks (my son even asked for one on the second day and he was given another one for free). We were also treated so kindly upon check in by all the staff. Imagine my delight when our room was STEPS from the front desk. Oh, and EVERYTHING is outdoors (no walls). This is typical of Costa Rica - everywhere!

This hotel and destination felt like the 'obligatory' place for me BEFORE we arrived and yet, it ended up being my favorite spot in Costa Rica. The room, the hotel, the spot - it was all fabulous. Of course, it wouldn't have been this great without the access to the hot springs at Tabacon. The kids and my husband and I LOVED the hot springs! They were relaxing, fun, explorative, and enjoyable. I only wish I had tried out the spa!

The "bad" part of this hotel (I hate to say "bad" but this is the downside so here it goes)...the restaurants/cost of food. Luckily, we had a car. With our nice amenities in the room (like the fridge), we had breakfast in the room each day - croissants, fruit, and juice. We ate in La Fortuna for lunch and around Arenal/La Fortuna for dinner (Soda Vaquez - fabulous!, Rain Forest - Really good!, Benedictus - YUMMMY! but a slow dinner for children).

A few more tidbits - free coffee service begins at sunrise (~5:30am) and ends by 7:30 or when it is gone. So if you want the free coffee and milk in the lobby, get there early! As for the regular rooms, we did see them and they were similar to American hotel rooms. They seemed just fine but truly, my 5 star rating is due to the room. Even if I didn't have to get a large room (for the 4 of us), I would book a suite based on my experience and the massive bathroom (I still miss it!!)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We were upgraded to the Rainforest Suite which was very good as it was in the main building. It was beautiful. Very peaceful and we could open the sliding doors of the windiows and hear all the sounds of the different birds. The service was first class. Though it is a big place we did not seem lost. The main restaurant is far above fine dining. The food, service and ambiance is so relaxing and delicious. The waiters cannot do enough for you. Very attentive and very courteous. Everyone at the resort speaks fluent English.
The thermal spa is to die for. The water is very clean and warm. You can stay in there all day. They even have a separate section for adults only. We did a one hour massage treatment which is done outside in a private section which was very relaxing.
This was a girls trip and my girl friend and I had a great stay there. I would highly highly recommend this resort it is absolutely amazing.
They have a shuttle that takes about 5 minutes to the hot springs.

Room Tip: The suites are located in the main building the rest of the rooms are spread around the property
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

This is a fantastic place but we made the mistake of planning our CR vacation during spring break week of 2013....so....families, children (many ill-behaved sorry to say), packed. I have discovered that it does not matter what country the family comes from -- the parents seem to think it is okay to bring the children into the NICE restaurant and then let them run wild. We were shocked at the behavior in the good restaurant at Tabacon. The adults put the children at one table and they sat at another. The kids then clanged their silverware on the glasses, yelled, ran around. We asked to be moved away from that, and were, and the Maitre d' even apologized for spring break week!!! Needed to get that off my chest!! Beautiful property, delicious dinners, but please, Tabacon, put some wattage into your lightbulbs -- truly, you will not be able to read in your room! And can barely see your face in the bathroom, oh well, you don't need makeup in CR anyway.... Check this place out, but be careful of when you plan your visit.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
TabaconGuestService, Manager at Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Resort, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Pmow

We really appreciate all your feedback in regards to your visit, we are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. We apologize for the inconvenient you experienced in our restaurant, our fine dining restaurant is a special place to enjoy a magical dinner in an open air area overlooking the gardens and the rainforest. It will be really useful for us if you contact us at customerservice@tabacon.com and provide your room number so our maintenance department will revise the situation with the wattage since your comments are very important for us. We are glad you spend a relaxing time at Tabacon and we look forward to your next visit!

Cordially
Yendry Espinoza
Resort Manager
Morrisville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed in the Rainforest Suite. It was beautiful- very peaceful. It is away from the main part of the hotel and within the rainforest. We were able to leave the sliding glass door open with complete privacy to listen to the animals. I loved it. The food at Tuscanes (main restaurant on the property) was delicious. Great buffet, great typical breakfast, and an even better dinner. I had the Mahi Mahi with Jalepano sauce and organic green beans with mexican chorizo and cheese. Delicious. I am certain I will dream of this dish for years to come. The food at the Tabacon spa poolside bar was HORRIBLE. I did not try the reservation only restuarant at the thermal spa, so I unfortunately cannot comment on it. The thermal spa was very lovely and a must do. 5 star hotel with nothing but class. They provide a taxi service to go downtown and back for $15 each way. This was nice as we did not rent a car as all our tours provided transportation. We ate at La Nenes one night as they are known for their ceviche. It was pretty good. I also order their fish dish with seafood sauce. It too was pretty good. If I could do it again, I would have eatten at Tabacon's Tuscanes restaurant each night.

Room Tip: Rainforest suite is the way to go. Very private. Great for watching nature.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mindydumpling,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us, we really appreciate it. We are glad to know you enjoyed your Rainforest Suite that in fact is a beautiful room with impressive forest views. Combining the peaceful suite and the natural thermal mineral springs provides total relaxation. Los Tucanes Restaurant is our fine dining option located at the hotel facilities, we are happy to know you loved the Mahi-Mahi and that you customized your dish adding jalapeño sauce and organic beans. In regards to the food at the pool bar we understand that we did not met your expectations and we already informed it to the food and beverage director, I will appreciate if you contact me directly at customerservice@tabacon.com to share your recommendations to improve the food at this specific bar. We would love to receive you at our resort soon!

Kindest Regards
Yendry Espinoza
Resort Manager
Sedona, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is a really sweet, popular hotel...They greet you with a cool towel and a delicious caribe fruit drink....Beware...You really cannot check in before 4pm...We had to sit and wait about an hour before the room was ready..Seems to be this way for all to want to stay here...Staff is very helpful and speak good engish..Of course the main reason in staying here were the thermal springs...That's another story...The food was really nice and well prepared....I would return, but not in high season...It's a very crowded place..

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
LaGrange, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I just got back from a weeks stay here. It was great! not much wild life or resturant options unless you wanted to drive into town. the hotel was clean and very nive the staff was amazing and the food was perfect but it was very expensive. The hot dpring were a little crowded but we went during easter week so thats to be expected.
Ronald was our waiter at the hortels resturant and was beyond helpful! he truly made each visit perfect!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Resort? Share your experiences!