“WOW Amazing hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Resort

Save Saved
You added Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Resort to your Saves list
Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   13 Km Northwest la Fortuna de San Carlos | Arenal, Alajuela, Costa Rica, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Brasília, Distrito Federal, Brazil
“WOW Amazing hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

This spa is amazing. I thought it would be artificial and crowded but when I arrived there I was astonished with everything. Several hot springs. All of them very natural and beautiful. Everything is very clean and amazing. The food was so delicious and I really wanna come back there. Best choice of spa in La Fortuna.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

1,710 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Splendid and unforgettable. Magnificent grounds, beautiful and spacious room with excellent appointments and housekeeping. Staff was gracious and accomodating. Good gym; hot springs were a pleasant diversion, but lost interest after two visits.

Room Tip: Check out the Rain forest suites, second floor. Two story views of the rain forest, fabulous appoint...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

Not only was the hotel wonderful, comfortable, and welcoming, but the reception, service, and food where extraordinary. As a vegetarian I don't find many different menu options. The tabacon food was amazing! The various options they have me, made me feel as though it was modified specially for me. The Mediterranean buffet was so appetizing! I had a great experience in the beautiful hot springs but overall I think the food was what really made it memorable.

• Stayed August 2012
Antioch, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Really unique place. The volcanic hot springs are, of course, hot. Very relaxing. We walked around on a sunday but didn't take in the springs till Monday. It was a lot less crowded on Monday. Wife had an amazing expereince in the spa -- a bit pricey but worth it. The breakfast was outstanding. The buffet down at the springs, while very good, was a bit pricey. So was the breakfast, but it was included in our rate so no complaints. Stuff is more expensive here, but that is not unlike other resorts around the world (i.e. 4 or 5$ for a diet coke at the bar).

But, you are here to see the volcano (not much going on with it now, which was a shame, but still impressive) and to go to the springs. So nice and relaxing. Unlike anything I've seen. Go do it.

Had our 5 y/o with us and he enjoyed too. Turndown service and attention to detail good too.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Pensacola, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

My wife and I decided to stay here again on our 40th anniversary trip, as we had stayed here several years ago and had enjoyed the experience then. Not much has changed over the years, except the price. The rooms are comfortable and clean with very nice furnishings. The price for the breakfast is robbery, and we chose to eat in town instead. Of course the entry into the hot springs is free with your stay. Even though the price of the room is somewhat on the high side, my only real suggestion, would be to lower the cost of the breakfast. $28 a person for breakfast is totally unreasonable and much higher than any other place that we stayed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Just returned from a couples trip with my sister and her husband and El Tabacon was recommended to us as the best. The best falls way short! El Tabacon is like nothing you will ever experience! We landed at San Jose and requested the hotel transportation, was a bit pricey but the hotel is 3 hours from the resort. Our driver Manuel was excellent. Made us feel very comfortable, had pillows and reclining seats in van (very comfortable). Midway he stopped in order for us to grab abite, we were starving, and we ate at a local restaurant called El Ranchito. Order the casada which is thier typical meal of rice, beans, picadillo (vegetable), patacones (plantains) and meat of coice and salad. DELICIOUS!!! After that we napped for an hour and when we woke we have the most AMAZING view of the Arenal Volcano. I have never seen anything so beautiful! We were lucky and the day was clear so we had a beautiful view of the complate volcano with a cloud like of mist at the very top. About 45 minutes later we were at the hotel. The reception is pretty and the staff was very informative and friendly. Tropicl drink served at welcome. Once arrived at the room we were blown away. Had a King Superior Suite and it was huge. Bathroom was extremely comfortable with 2 sinks, shower and jacuzzi with seperate toilet and bidei. View was looking out to the rain forest. Had 2 sofa beds in the living room area as well as dining room table with a large king bed. We changed and took a 8 seater golf cart to the thermal springs. What can I say, I was speechless with the beauty surrounding me. It was the most romantic, amazing, inspiring , breath taking view of all of those thermal water springs within the most BEAUTIFUL rain forest!!!!! The Shangri La is the adults only area which, at night, gives for privacy and romance!! There is a bar and ultiple areas to sit and relax with tables and cabanas which are first come first serve. On the last day we did the couples Idyllic Massage at the Grand Spa. It has been by far the most romantic spa we have EVER had. I won't spoil it by giving details but trust me, the price is WORTH it..do NOT think twice! Overall the experience is a MUST!! For dinner, you can go to La Fortuna which is a $15 cab ride (15-20min) and you can eat at Lava Lounge. Greta food and lively but the area is truly for RELAXATION!! In all El Tabacom is well worth the money and trip! Costa Rica was absolutely a country we will be returning to...Thanks to all the staff for a wonderful trip!

Jupiter, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

First off a friend of mine from Costa Rica told me not to stay at this hotel. However Im very stubborn and didn't listen to her. After seeing the pictures and the reviews I just had to stay here. Please dont get me wrong if you are looking for a 5 star experience look no further but it will cost you. Right away they upgraded my husband and I to the honeymoon suite which was gorgeous! I was hoping for veiws of the volcano but we didn't have any. We went to dinner that night at the hotel since we arrived late. Just 2 meals and a $32 bottle of cheap wine and we were signing a $148.00 dinner tab. The food was delicious but we didn't even have any apps or dessert. I can go to Capital Grill back home for that price and we are in Costa Rica. The next night we asked where the locals go and were able to have plenty of drinks and appitizer and dinner for less than $40.00 and it was amazing! The Tabacon Hot Springs were to die for! What a spectacular place. Although you dont have to stay in the hotel to enjoy them. The location was ok. Its about half way between La Fortuna and the Volcano. 15 minutes to both. I probably would have rather stayed closer to the town.
So was it a great trip and a wonderful place tp stay? Yes.
Would I stay there again or recommend it? Unfortunatly not.

Room Tip: Honeymoon suites were gorgeous. We stayed in room 501
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Resort? Share your experiences!