After staying at Tabacon, my wife told me this is probably her favorite place we have ever stayed. They have managed to carve out a beautiful luxury retreat in the middle of a jungle setting. The photos on line do not do this place justice. In fact, I was not going to stay at Tabacon, I was going to choose another location. I ended up booking Tabacon because a friend of my Wife’s told her she has to stay at Tabacon, because it is a very special place and one she will never forget. Surprisingly, I say this because we have stayed in many places, the friend was right.
Honestly the rooms are very nice, they have plenty of room. We had a standard room, it came with a nice very comfortable bed and sofa area. The hotel it’s self was clean, and inviting, but it was nothing spectacular. The thing that puts this hotel over the top is the hot springs area. I will talk more about that in a minute. As I said the rooms are great, I could not complain at all about them. The staff made us feel welcome. The breakfast buffet was very good and the service was exceptional. However, the price is outrageous. I don’t mind paying money for food, but I think the breakfast buffet was $24 each and there is not another option. In fact all restaurants, there are two, were extremely expensive. We got in fairy late, and asked about dinner. We were informed that there are two choices, one is a restaurant in the springs area. It is a buffet only dinner and each night was theme night. That night the theme was Italian, which under normal circumstances would be fine. However, in Costa Rica it seems there restaurant selections are very slim. They have an over abundance of Italian, typical food, which is Costa Rican, and BBQ, which is just grilled meat. That is really the extent of your selections. We had been in Costa Rica for 4 nights and felt we had enough Italian food, by the way Italian to the Costa Rican’s means pizza. The price for the buffet was $42.00 per person. This seemed high to us as well, so we asked about the second option. They gladly told us about their dining room which was an alacarte menu. This menu was more of a steak house with a selection of seafood, but the pricing was at least $42.00 per person. In fact I believe our bill came to well over $42.00 each. Honestly, I love food, and I don’t mind paying for it sometimes. I just don’t want to be forced to buy expensive meals each day, breakfast, lunch and dinner. I feel they should have another restaurant, one that offers more café type food. Over all the food in Costa Rica is extremely expensive, please be for warned, not matter where you go the prices are very high.
The springs are unbelievable. They are a short walk, about 5 minutes, or the hotel offers shuttle service that will pick you up and drop you off at your room. There is a newer adult section, one that limits anyone under 18 from entering. This is so relaxing, but I recommend walking through the springs during the day to get the full picture. We were so busy the first two days that we could only utilize the springs in the evening. It is not the same trying to walk around at night, you cannot grasp the whole concept like you can during the day. On the third day we spent a few hours at the springs and found them to be spectacular. There are probably 25 pools, that are fed from a natural river of hot water. The further up the hill you travel the hotter the water gets. At the bottom of the river there is a swimming pool and a swim up bar. The adult section, as I mentioned earlier is newer. It has multiple decks with shade so during the day many people can enjoy the sun and the warmth of the natural pools. Because of the springs, this place is truly exceptional and a one of a kind. Magnificently breathtaking, is how I would try to explain this experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the heart of the tropical rainforest at the base of the majestic Arenal Volcano in the northern Region of Costa Rica. This five-star carbon neutral resort offers a unique blend of nature, adventure and relaxation. A member of The Leading Hotels of the World, Tabacon provides luxurious accommodations, services and amenities in a picture-perfect natural setting. The resort's unique healing thermal mineral spring river emerge from the volcanic earth, cascading to form waterfalls, streams, tranquil pools and ponds. Explore Shangri-La Gardens an hotel guests and adults-only hideaway, delight your senses with world- class cuisine inspired by local fares or surprise that special person with a gala dinner in the middle of the rainforest. Inside the gardens is the resort's Grand Spa, member of The Leading Spas of the World which combines a beautiful location with a singular spa experience, where treatments are rendered in open air bungalows all of them with private jacuzzi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, BookIt.com, Tablet Hotels, Cheap Tickets, Amex, Tingo, Priceline, Hotels.com, Travelocity and Odigeo so you can book your Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Tabacon Grand Hotel Thermal
- Tabacon Grand Resort Thermal
- Tabacon Resort
- Tabacon Hot Springs
- Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Resort Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park