“Great, if you like to feel like you're roughing it.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Las Cabanitas Resort

You added Las Cabanitas Resort to your Saves list
Las Cabanitas Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   North Zone, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica   |
Bettendorf, Iowa
“Great, if you like to feel like you're roughing it.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

I would never choose to stay here. We were part of a large EF travel group. The rooms are about as basic as you can get, with the exception of air conditioning, which does not come standard in all Costa Rican hotels. There are no screens on the front windows, just shutters that do little to keep out mosquitoes or outside noise. In fact, I had a bird in my room the first night that entered through some hole in the ceiling! My cabin was near the pool and I could hear everything that was said, almost as if I were sitting out by the pool myself! There is no hot water and the tubs are gross looking. I had stains on my sheets (a pen mark and some other small spots). I expected that my second night there they would be changed, but in fact they had not changed the sheets: The same gross spots were there welcoming me! Food was average, and little meat was served with the dinners. Great view of Arenal, but I would not stay there for that reason only. Avoid.

• Stayed June 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Washington DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2008

We were booked into this hotel as part of a travel package. I thought it was fine, but nothing special. The hotel consists of lots of small (one room) cottages right off the main road in the not very interesting town of La Fortuna near Arenal. For some reason, there was hardly anyone else staying there, so the property felt somewhat abandoned.

The rooms were adequate, but the furniture and beddings were cheap. There was a pool, which was great for the kids, but it wasn't very clean, and the bar area around it was closed, so you couldn't get food or drinks.

You can see the volcano from the property, but there are many, many vantage points from which to view it, so that really should not be a determining factor in choosing this accommodation.

• Liked — It was inexpensive
  • Disliked — the motel feel
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ocean Grove, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2008

I was on a Caravan tour when we spent 2 nights at this location. The hotel is actually a series of cabins along in a row. They are clean and contain a phone with a good air conditioner. No TV - but there is a small pool, bar & restaurant.

Be sure not to stay in the first cabin - it is too close to the street and I found that there was lots of noise from barking dogs who lived next door. The hotel is located about 1 mile from the town of Fortuna - you can walk to town with no trouble.

The cost I'm sure was reasonable - the place is really clean and the beds were comfortable. My only advise is that if you have a choice of a place to stay - Fortuna has lots of nice places. Check out other locations if you are looking for a bit of nights life & more perks.

• Liked — Clean room with a comfortable bed and excellent AC
  • Disliked — Out of the way with nothing to do for night life
  • Stayed December 2007
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2007

Stayed here in March 2007. Loved the cabins. We had one with 3 beds and there was only 2 of us. Very nice bathrooms, newly renovated. Lots of space. We would sit on our frontdeck rocking chairs at night and in morning we actually had a clear view of the volcano. Good food for both breakfast and dinner, remember food is very basic in Costa Rica, but well prepared.
Also did ziplining which we booked thru the front desk.
Had an absoluted fabulous time. Try it and don't let anyone talk you out of it....you'll never regret it.

Stayed March 2007
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2007

We spent two nights here as part of a Caravan Tour in January 2007. The bungalows were immaculate, spacious and delightful. We especially enjoyed the great towel folding expertise of the housekeeping staff: on our second day we found a display of towels shaped into 2 elephants facing each other decorated with flowers. The walk to town is quite pleasant.

We enjoyed all of meals here but we do agree with other reviewers that the lack of a central gathering area is an issue. The bar area has only 2 tables (4 chairs each). Also, the 2nd day, the bar never opened up at all.

One word of caution, the floors are quite slippery so be sure to walk carefully.

• Stayed February 2007
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2007

I stayed here for two nights on a Caravan Tour in January, 2007, and most of our group really liked these little bungalows. I can see that Fortuna is a booming resort town with several really nice, new hotels, but having just come from a remote jungle lodge we were happy to stay on the outskirts of town in this semi-rural setting. Each little cabin has its own veranda with two rocking chairs, and we enjoyed just kicking back after a long bus ride, and sitting by the pool at the bar during happy hour. Chickens with chicks patrolled the grounds, as well as some friendly parrots and a friendly cat. Forget the alarm clock—the roosters do a good job in the morning. The cabins had nice, tropical hardwood, and were very nice in their rustic way. One warning—there are two steps down to the bathroom, so keep a light on or risk injury from a lurching step into the darkness during the night. My only complaint is that the light in the bathroom is too dim, as is the main room, because there are no proper windows—just a narrow strip of louvered glass on each side and top of where there should be a window, with solid wall in the middle. It was socked in there, as is common, but if it was clear and Arenal Volcano was erupting, it would be a real disadvantage not being able to see it from your window at night.

• Liked — rustic country ambiance
  • Disliked — dim light, adjacent gas station
  • Stayed January 2007
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Raleigh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2007

This is one of four hotels we stayed in as part of our Caravan tour - and the only one I would not willingly return to. We were in one of the older cabins which was close to the highway (and gas station) and noisy from bus fumes and the restaurant. I think the newer units would give a better experience - but with all the construction going on - they would be noisy too. Grin and bear it is my advice.

• Liked — rocking chairs on cabin porches
  • Disliked — noise, location, and bus fumes
  • Tips/Secrets — get one of the newer cabins
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Las Cabanitas Resort? Share your experiences!