We stayed at the lodge for our first 3 nights in Costa Rica. The lodge is located on a 2000 acre property, that is part farm and part nature preserve. All of the staff were extremely friendly and made you feel right at home. We stayed in the junior suites. The room was very large, with 2 double beds. The walls are covered in dark wood paneling and there are only 2 lamps which made the room very dark. The upside is that one wall was all windows and a door that lead to a big porch with andarandak chairs which looked over the beautiful gardens and pastures with a spectacular view of Arenal Volcano! We visited in August and there was a downpour every night. It was great sitting on the deck enjoying the jungle sounds and the rain pounding on the roof.
Included in the room fee is a great nature hike with the Miguel, the resident naturalist, through the rainforest. He is quite knowledgeable about all of the flora and fauna, and has great personal stories. He also was our guide on the horseback ride that was also included.
They have a nice bar and restaurant. The wait staff are really friendly and eager to please. The included breakfast was very good, it is not a buffet.
There is a desk in the lobby with a representative that can book you for all manors of excursions where they pick you up at the door. We did the whitewater rafting, and it was a blast. The day included a great lunch at a local farm.
If you are looking for a luxury room, the junior suites are not for you. If you are looking for an authentic Costa Rican experience, then you should stay there. One note, the driveway to the place is all uphill on a mile long on a bumpy driveway. The nearest grocery is a 20 minute drive, so stock up before you get there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Arenal Lodge provides guests with the excitement of staying in an authentic rainforest lodge with breathtaking panoramic views of Costa Rica’s famous Arenal Volcano and Lake Arenal. Guests will enjoy a casual and relaxed rustic lodge setting with the added value of a complimentary breakfast daily. Located on 2000-acres of beautiful tropical rainforest, the lodge is situated near Arenal Volcano National Park. The lodge is surrounded by rainforest - housing hundreds of exotic birds, small animals and the beautiful tropical flowers and trees of Costa Rica. and is its own local tourist attraction due to its exclusive location with breathtaking panoramic views of Arenal Volcano and Lake Arenal. The lodge features a full service restaurant with local and international cuisine, gift shop, three heated outdoor Jacuzzis, an infinite edge swimming pool, walking trails, a butterfly garden, horseback riding, a game room and outdoor playground for children, fitness room, sauna, and free wireless high speed internet access. Guest rooms and suites feature cable TV, telephone, coffee maker, clock radio, and all have private baths. Complimentary crib and wheel chair are available on request. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, BookIt.com, Priceline, Agoda, Odigeo and TripOnline SA so you can book your Arenal Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Arenal Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Arenal Lodge Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park