BEAUTIFUL, natural setting with a few passable, if not maintained, trails.
EDIBLE food provided by happy, not smart, wait staff (breakfast better than other meals).
WIFI in certain areas.
Did not need the promised, but not provided air-conditioning.
DILAPIDATED and DIRTY structures, be they the rooms or main building. All furniture was filthy.
STAFF reluctant to provide assistance and frequently provided inaccurate information regarding tours, times of meals and the like.
MOULD, MILDEW & DAMPNESS abound with it's accompanying dank odors. Our bodies and clothing were infused with this smell until we left.
DARK rooms provide barely enough light to read by.
LOCKS provide no security as windows are levered and easily maneuvered.
BUTTERFLY structure - nope. If there are 4 living creatures in the moss-ridden, barely standing structure that is a lot.
FREE TOURs - Nope. Just a guided birding walk in the morning. All other touring is off property.
BAR - Bring your own cocktails unless you are happy with some beer/some wine.
DRIVEWAY - the 10-15 minute trip up the steep, crumbling drive would have been fine if when we finally arrived it was to a place worthwhile. However, after 3 days we couldn't wait to take our last trip down to be rid of the place.
GYM - 2 weight machines and a broken archaic stationary bike machine in small dark room. GAME ROOM - small dark room I would not allow my kids to hang out in.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Arenal Lodge provides guests with the excitement of staying in an authentic rainforest lodge with breathtaking panoramic views of Costa Rica’s famous Arenal Volcano and Lake Arenal. Guests will enjoy a casual and relaxed rustic lodge setting with the added value of a complimentary breakfast daily. Located on 2000-acres of beautiful tropical rainforest, the lodge is situated near Arenal Volcano National Park. The lodge is surrounded by rainforest - housing hundreds of exotic birds, small animals and the beautiful tropical flowers and trees of Costa Rica. and is it's own local tourist attraction due to its exclusive location with breathtaking panoramic views of Arenal Volcano and Lake Arenal. The lodge features a full service restaurant with local and international cuisine, gift shop, three heated outdoor Jacuzzi's, an infinite edge swimming pool, walking trails, a butterfly garden, horseback riding, a game-room and outdoor playground for children, fitness room, sauna, and free wireless high speed internet access.Guest rooms and suites feature cable TV, telephone, coffee maker, clock radio, and all have private baths. Complimentary crib and wheel chair are available on request. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, BookIt.com, Priceline, Agoda, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Arenal Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Arenal Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Arenal Lodge Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park