We heard this was a wonderful spot and the only room available to our agent was a "family suite". We agreed, and when we got up the long. steep winding road were thrilled with the beauty of the property. When we were taken to our room ( a small cottage) above the main lodge, we we horrified. It was a dank, aged unit with 2 small bedrooms with old cot type beds, small, clean, but grubby bath rooms with a connecting kitchen area. There was no view and no outside seating area.I am 75 with some walking issues and did not feel that I could walk up and down the steep hill to the lodge. I also did not want to spend even a night there. We walked down to the main lodge, carfully using our trekking poles, and asked if there was a unit in the main building. We were given a wonderful room, with a balcony overlooking the volcano. There were several other cottages on the property. I don't know if they were all as "rustic".There is a free morning nature walk around the property and free horseback riding.
The lodge is old, but very charming. It might be best suited to younger people, but we enjoyed it very much. It is a longish drive down the hill to get to the area attractions. The $160ish rate was fine for the lodge, but exhorbitant for the cabin.The full hot breakfast, included, was excellent, and other meals were good too.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Arenal Lodge provides guests with the excitement of staying in an authentic rainforest lodge with breathtaking panoramic views of Costa Rica’s famous Arenal Volcano and Lake Arenal. Guests will enjoy a casual and relaxed rustic lodge setting with the added value of a complimentary breakfast daily. Located on 2000-acres of beautiful tropical rainforest, the lodge is situated near Arenal Volcano National Park. The lodge is surrounded by rainforest - housing hundreds of exotic birds, small animals and the beautiful tropical flowers and trees of Costa Rica. and is its own local tourist attraction due to its exclusive location with breathtaking panoramic views of Arenal Volcano and Lake Arenal. The lodge features a full service restaurant with local and international cuisine, gift shop, three heated outdoor Jacuzzis, an infinite edge swimming pool, walking trails, a butterfly garden, horseback riding, a game room and outdoor playground for children, fitness room, sauna, and free wireless high speed internet access. Guest rooms and suites feature cable TV, telephone, coffee maker, clock radio, and all have private baths. Complimentary crib and wheel chair are available on request. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, BookIt.com and Priceline so you can book your Arenal Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Arenal Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Arenal Lodge Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park