After a long drive from the Caribbean coast, my wife and I took the road up the mountain to the lodge, and when we were greeted by the sign that said: "You made it!" we immediately felt welcome. Rebecca, the receptionist emphasised that feeling with a welcome drink and an absolutely beautiful smile.
Some comments about the other reviews I've read here: I have no idea if the clock, coffee maker or tv worked. Never used them. We never had any problem getting coffee at the lodge, and I didn't come there for the tv or especially the clock. We slept so soundly that it took some howler monkeys to wake us up. The sound of a nighthawk lulled us to sleep on a bed that I describe as good as my home. Our shower gel and shampoo dispenser was also not marked but is that really a problem worth mentioning? The shampoo is (usually) golden in color and the shower gel a different color.(here it was blue) One squeeze into your hand would reveal that.
The shower was huge (We mean huge) and bright and clean. We didn't look for and therefore didn't see any missing trim etc. The water stream was strong and hot and a refreshing way to start the day. A short walk to the main lodge for a delicious breakfast in a room that overlooked the Arenal Volcano was the highlight of the trip for us. What an unbelievable view! And to make the whole picture even more beatiful, birds everyhere. The feeding platforms maintained by the staff atracted the most beautiful and colorful birds...more than we saw in 2 treks into the rain forest.
We ate lunch and dinner in the hotel 4 times. Each meal was delicious. The service is impeccable and the quality excellent. We also ate at several local restaurants and they served very good food, but none had the view that the lodge did. This was our 3rd trip to Costa Rica and our most enjoyable. You can tell that this is a family owned lodge. The attitude of the staff (as well as their command of English) was very impressive.
This trip so exceeded our expectations that we are already planning another trip here again, there is still so much to see and do.
- Also Known As:
- Arenal Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Arenal Hotel
- Arenal Lodge Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Arenal Lodge is perched on a mountainside near the Lake Arenal offering a beautiful panoramic view of Arenal Volcano in a very safe area to appreciate the eruptions and volcano activities which attracts so many tourists year around to Costa Rica. Arenal Lodge has 50 bedrooms each with a unique view of the Arenal Volcano, its valley, the jungle, the gardens and the lake. The Hotel Arenal Lodge offers a variety of complimentary outdoor and indoor activities including private walking trails inside our own reserve with easy-to-explore paths to get in close contact with native vegetation and wild animals. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Tingo and Priceline so you can book your Arenal Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.