My husband and I stayed here over the New Years Holiday for 2 nights. First of all I'd say the last couple of reviews posted on Trip Advisor were very accurate. I'll just add some more thoughts.
The excellent -- the breakfast was really good for a breakfast that is included in your rate. A wide variety of foods including made to order omelettes. The breakfast room overlooks the mountain and they have put up bird feeders that attract many, many different type of birds. Saw more birds here than in the jungle. Also the staff were excellent, courteous and accommodating.
The good -- the grounds and setting were beautiful. The buildings were ok, but don't go by the pictures on the web site. Those are not the standard rooms.
The bad -- The hotels needs maintenance. We were in two different rooms and both had items that needed fixing, including air conditioning and refrigerators.
The ugly -- The first night we were there a couple argued for most of the night, screaming very loudly (not the hotel's fault). Since there was
no phone in the room and the office was a long walk, we had to tough it out. Thankfully, the hotel did upgrade us the next night to a better room. However, the second room had even more maintenance items than the first room we were in.
Overall, the hotel could be quite special, but it needs some attention. I suspect that they have been a victim of the poor economy in the U.S. and the lack of eruptions of the Arenal Volcano, which has probably slowed down the number of guests that come to this area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Arenal Lodge provides guests with the excitement of staying in an authentic rainforest lodge with breathtaking panoramic views of Costa Rica’s famous Arenal Volcano and Lake Arenal. Guests will enjoy a casual and relaxed rustic lodge setting with the added value of a complimentary breakfast daily. Located on 2000-acres of beautiful tropical rainforest, the lodge is situated near Arenal Volcano National Park. The lodge is surrounded by rainforest - housing hundreds of exotic birds, small animals and the beautiful tropical flowers and trees of Costa Rica. and is its own local tourist attraction due to its exclusive location with breathtaking panoramic views of Arenal Volcano and Lake Arenal. The lodge features a full service restaurant with local and international cuisine, gift shop, three heated outdoor Jacuzzis, an infinite edge swimming pool, walking trails, a butterfly garden, horseback riding, a game room and outdoor playground for children, fitness room, sauna, and free wireless high speed internet access. Guest rooms and suites feature cable TV, telephone, coffee maker, clock radio, and all have private baths. Complimentary crib and wheel chair are available on request. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, BookIt.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Odigeo, Priceline and getaroom.com so you can book your Arenal Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Arenal Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Arenal Lodge Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park