“Serene and relaxing!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Arenal Lodge

Save Saved
You added Arenal Lodge to your Saves list
Arenal Lodge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   200 meters NW from the Arenal Lake dam | Escazú, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 1250, Costa Rica   |
Offers & Announcements
Save 25% on 4 night stays
Pellston, Michigan
“Serene and relaxing!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We arrived after dark and after driving from San Jose, the road once you passed the guard gate was something out of "Dark Shadows"! A long circuitous stone road, winding and winding it's way up and up, finally we reached a sign that said "You Made It"! Once there we were greeted with a much deserved welcome drink and shown to our charming junior suite! In the morning when we could see, our view of the Arenal Volcano was wonderful, we enjoyed the jacuzzi, pool and complimentary horse ride with a terrific guide. Everything was quiet, calm and super relaxing!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

439 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

Second stay at Arenal Lodge.
Best place in Arenal because instead of being a compound and resort, it is a true rainforest lodge. The grounds are a couple of thousand acres and stunning. Miguel works for the lodge and gives free walking tours through the primary forest each morning. Tours last 30 min to 2 hours pending on your desire. We went on a 2 hour tour with our 7 and 9 year olds. Fantastic place and wonderful man. We took two free horseback riding tours on the property with Miguel. They were the first times my kids rode horses and Miguel and the horses were great.
We stayed in the family room 2 nights- nice with 2 separate bedrooms. We also stayed in the junior suite for two days adjoining the lodge- loved the view- amazing.
Breakfast is complimentary and very good!!
Love this place
Kerry- USA

• Stayed December 2012
Hoboken, New Jersey, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Once you drive over the lake, it's immediately on the right. You will be greeted by a polite gatekeeper, once your in, there's no turning around, literally you can't! The drive way up is about a mile of narrow, unpaved, curvy, dangerous, steep hills and this driveway supplied the only way in and out. After the 6-7 minute trek up this hill you will enter and outdoor lobby that reminds you of a ski lodge, rustic, woodsy and quaint. I would only recommend staying in junior suites or better to get some of the most magnificent views of the arenal volcano, grounds, monkeys, birds and horses... It truly was a majestic view. The rooms could use some updating but with a private balcony and rocking chairs, you'll spend most of your time outside. From entry to exit, an authentic experience of Costa Rica!!

• Stayed January 2013
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

You must get a chalet room for the best views of the volcano! It is definitely a lodge, with sparse amenities, but the beds were comfy. The staff was very polite and professional and all of our meals were lovely, although a bit bland for my taste. The road to get here is an adventure all on its own.

Room Tip: Spring for the chalet!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
nashville, tn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

The views and landscaping was what I remember most. The rooms are simple, nothing fancy (we didn't stay in the big rooms w/ the big windows - we were probably in the cheapest rooms.). But I didn't go to Costa Rica to stay in my room. We took a personal horseback ride w/ one of the staff and the scenery was amazing. The lodge is rustic - dark wood, fireplace, etc. The driveway up is an adventure, steep w/ lots of curves. Someone videotaped it and its on youtube. We had a rental car and drove into town for all of our meals. Not because of this hotel, but simply because we could. I will return.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

This is my favorite place to stay in Costa Rica. The grounds are massive so you really get a sense of getting away from it all. I have stayed in the chalet rooms, family and the junior suites and have found them all to be clean and have good views of the volcano. The staff are excellent. It is a little more rustic which I prefer so you do not have all the whiny tourists who complain about their toilet paper not being soft enough. I absolutely love it. I got a treat this last time because I was able to bring my 7 and 9 year old boys. We had a great time. When it was raining, which it will do a few times a day because it is a rain forest, my boys and I played pool or foosball. When sunny we were in the pool or jacuzzi's.
Breakfasts are brilliant. You get lots of variety but true to the culture. Also, if you are up early enough you can see them feed the birds which is a really fun way to spend your breakfast time.

My favorite things to do there are the activities with Miguel. He does the horse and hiking tours. I am very protective of my sons and I absolutely trusted myself and them with Miguel. I paid a lot of money to go on a hanging bridges tour at a place that does zip lines and sky tram,..... It was not very good. Those things are so dependent on the tour guide. We went with Miguel the next day and it was great,..... And it was all on the lodge. You didn't have to pay for someone to come get you,.... In fact, it did not cost anything! That afternoon we did the horse ride with Miguel. That was the first time my two sons had ever rides horses, Miguel was great with the children and the horses knew the trail so well you barely had to guide them. My youngest son Jack was riding with me but it was starting to hurt him. Miguel half way through the ride noticed this, hoped off his horse and let Jack ride his while he held the reign.

If I ever go back to this region of the country I will definitely stay at Arenal Lodge.

• Stayed December 2012
San Jose, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed for couple of days at the Arenal Lodge. The lodge is located on top of the mountain and it was scenic and beautiful. The rooms (I think we were in the Junior suite) were nice, with microwave, coffee machine. They had a good breakfast. The lunch and dinner menu could have been better, especially for vegetarians. Water pressure in the shower was not great, but I guess thats true for most places in CR>Best of all, the room came along with complimentary hike with a guide and a horse riding trip which the kids enjoyed very much. Will deftly stay in this place again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Arenal Lodge? Share your experiences!