We visited in March 2011. We did not have reservations and randomly drove up the long driveway to see about pricing, etc. they had a couple of vacancies and we arrived at a reasonable price. We opted for the chalet. I am glad we did. Whether sitting in the comfortable chairs in the morning sipping coffee watching the rising sun hit the volcano or w/ a bottle of wine in the evening as the sun set w/ different lighting or waking in the middle of the night to see the silhouette from bed was magnifcent. Sometimes the top was enshrouded w/ classic rainforest clouds but then the wind would blow in or the sun would evaporate it off and it would suddenly appear in a blink. Very cool, mesmerizing and peaceful to watch (and romantic!).
We didn't mind the drive (but we had a car).. The little town is about 15 minutes away and we did go into town one night (of our 3 nights there) for dinner but decided the food and ambiance was by far superior at the Lodge. We used our car every day to explore and to get to activites and scenic places. Not sure how that might be w/o a car tho--but it doesn't seem like there is any ONE place to be that gets you handily to everything. Driving, btw, was fine in Costa Rica. The breakfast buffet was superior at the Lodge. I can't remmber if it was included in the price. But whatever, the case, it was worth it!
We found the grounds, pool and hottub/jacuzzi to be well-cared for and a good showcase. Altho the lodge/rooms a bit dated, the pricing is fair for what you get. I would skip the horses (unless they have been replaced)--i think they are a bit sad. The nature walk with Miguel was great and walking alone thru the trail is even better a second and third time--if you like walks/easy hikes!.
- Also Known As:
- Arenal Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Arenal Hotel
- Arenal Lodge Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Arenal Lodge is perched on a mountainside near the Lake Arenal offering a beautiful panoramic view of Arenal Volcano in a very safe area to appreciate the eruptions and volcano activities which attracts so many tourists year around to Costa Rica. Arenal Lodge has 50 bedrooms each with a unique view of the Arenal Volcano, its valley, the jungle, the gardens and the lake. The Hotel Arenal Lodge offers a variety of complimentary outdoor and indoor activities including private walking trails inside our own reserve with easy-to-explore paths to get in close contact with native vegetation and wild animals. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Tingo and Priceline so you can book your Arenal Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.