“Worth the effort to get there” 5 of 5 stars

Useful Information: Activities for older children
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Saint Paul, Minnesota
15 attraction reviews
“Worth the effort to get there”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

The waterfall is beautiful and not strenuous to get to, but a lot of work to get back to the top. It's down over 400 steps which means, of course, it's 400 steps back to the top!! This is not for anyone who isn't in fairly good shape! And it's very humid, which makes sweating unbelieveable. But I'm glad I did it!

Visited January 2012
FortunaWaterfall, Guest Relations Manager at La Fortuna Waterfall, responded to this review, February 5, 2012
Thank you very much for your comments. I am also glad that you were able to appreciate the beauty of this natural monument. I am very thrill that you made it and was proud of it. Your choice, I am sure will add to your spiritual and physical wellness. We hope to see you and your friends soon. Come back!

Milwaukee
3 attraction reviews
“Well Worth the Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

I've been to many waterfalls but this one is about the most impressive. Its down in a gorge hence the reason for the steep walk down and then back up. You can swim but the volume of water pouring in from the falls makes it very turbulent. I recommend going in with sandels or water shoes to help deal with the rocks. You can do the whole thing in 1 -1.5 hrs and have plently of time at the bottom. I noticed some places offering "Guides" for this trip. Don't waste your money there is no need for a guide.

Lincoln, Nebraska
9 attraction reviews
“So beautiful--great exercise--wish I'd brought my swimsuit!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

My mom and I decided to do this at the last minute our last morning in La Fortuna. We had about four hours to kill and someone suggested this to us. I'm SO glad we went. We had no idea you could swim, or we would have come prepared to do so. It's $10 to get into the park, which seems overpriced, but it's worth it. We hiked from La Fortuna, which took about 2 hours to get there and all on paved roads--nothing very natural--so I'm not sure it was worth it, but we got some exercise and saved money (a taxi ride would've been at least $10, if not more). Just make sure you are prepared for a good hike--water and hair ties--because it's a lot of uphill. Once you're there, there are souvenir and snack shops inside you can go to. There's a lookout you can go to to see the waterfalls from far away, and then you walk down stairs (480, to be exact) to get to the base of the waterfall, with various lookout points along the way. It was so worth it! The base of the waterfall is incredible. My only regret is we didn't have our swimsuits along because we didn't know you could swim. Very rewarding and worthwhile experience. I'm glad we crammed it into the 4 hour window we had!

Houston, Texas
37 attraction reviews
“Simply stunning, and you can swim here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

We loved our waterfall hike. The area is really lush, green, and beautiful. We were expecting something sort of wild, but there's a nice sized parking lot and an organized entry where you pay the admission fee. We had a taxi driver drop us off and then used the phone at the front desk to call him when we were ready to be picked up. The hike up and down is mostly steps set with pavers, and there's also an observation deck if you don't want to hike all the way down. The hike down isn't difficult, but we saw several people stopping to catch their breath on the way back up just because it's a little steep in spots. The waterfall itself is absolutely gorgeous. Someone told us about a small set of steps off to the left, and they led down to a beautiful little "beach" area away from the force of the falls. The river is crystal clear there, so clear in fact that we could see fish swimming in it. Definitely wear your bathing suit under your clothes if you want to take a dip. We got a lot of great pictures at this spot.

Visited July 2011
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
15 attraction reviews
“Must See in La Fortuna!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

The fortuna waterfall its top3 must see while in La Fortuna, This beautiful waterfall its a gem. The great thing is that you can swim in it. its a $10 to get in and theres is a look out point, then you walk about 500 steps, pretty steep but worth it to get to the waterfall and swim. Great for pictures.
The great thing is that the money you pay goes back into the town for social works because the waterfall its own by the Fortuna town!
Must see if in La Fortuna!