“In two minds” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Arenal Hostel Resort

Save Saved
You added Arenal Hostel Resort to your Saves list
Arenal Hostel Resort
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Main street, La Fortuna | South side of catholic church in La fortuna de San Carlos Alajuela Costa Rica, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 506, Costa Rica   |
Manchester, United Kingdom
“In two minds”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

One one hand, there is a lot offerred here, a computer, book corner, pool, hammocks etc. So in theory phenomenal value for money, but if any of those things are important to you bear in mind that;

Hammocks are either outside people's/your rooms, computer is practically outside and the pool is somewhat tokenistic.

Unexpected delight was a welcome drink :)

• Stayed August 2014

316 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I stayed at the sister hostel in Monteverde and, having had a terrific experience there, had high expectations for Arenal Hostel Resort. However, I was disappointed by my stay. The facilities were nice enough...I stayed in an ensuite dorm, which had room locks, a balcony, private lockers and air conditioning. But my room was on the street and very loud. I also wasn't a huge fan of the common spaces. There's not one large common area, but rather lots of separate tables, hammocks, etc, which makes it harder to meet people. The hammocks are uncovered, and since it's always raining, basically unusable.

My biggest problem, however, was that I booked a female dorm and on my last night they put two men in the room. I got in late that night and didn't even realize they were staying in the room...I thought they were just visiting some of the other guests. I wouldn't have had any problem sleeping in a mixed dorm, and there was no price difference between the mixed dorm and the "female" dorm. But since I booked a female room, they absolutely should have honored that. (Note that since I arrived late that night and left the next morning, I never had a chance to bring it up with reception. I do not know how they would have handled it.)

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

This was overall a nice enough place, although based on all the reviews I guess I was expecting a bit more. We actually stayed in two rooms and asked for a change because the first room was SO badly lit (think one bare florescent lightbulb hanging from the ceiling) and we could see that there were definitely better rooms with more space and better lighting. We put our stuff down and used the restroom in the first room before asking for a swap, and since the housekeepers had gone home they told us we could have the room we wanted the next day. However in the morning when I came to change rooms, the room we had been promised had been given away. They did let us still change to a slightly better room, but still, fix the lighting in all your rooms!

It was a bit noisy at night, and though it was a pretty inexpensive place to stay, I left wishing that we had splurged on one of the resorts that were a little bit closer to the volcano (Arenal Observatory Lodge, I'm looking at you!) so we could have had a little bit more time around nature .

Overall though this is a clean fairly safe hostel, but it is a hostel, not a resort. You have to put down a deposit on your towels, the bed will be just ok. As long as that's what you expect, it will be ok.

Room Tip: Ask for Room #6, it looked nice
Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I arrived here after staying in the two sister hostels in Tamarindo (the BEST) and Monteverde (super nice). Arenal was actually the most expensive and I have to say the least nice. The pool and kitchen area are really nice and spacious - however the service was TERRIBLE. The main guy behind the counter, Diego, was massively inattentive and rude. My friend (who i met in Monteverde) and I walked into reception along with two other parties of two and four people. Diego was not composed or helpful, he was half helping all of us at the same time instead of efficiently helping any of us. He was definitely scatter brained and it made for an awful experience at the hostel. I was asking questions for directions when it was my turn to be helped and he rudely dismissed my question to a sign out front which described the bus schedule and proceeded to help a different group - even though he was in the middle of helping me. I then had to wait to receive my key and get the tour because I asked one question and his attention was deterred.
The room itself was okay but EXTREMELY noisey. It was on the second floor right on the street and I swear it sounded like 3 massive storms hit the city while I was sleeping… I'm pretty sure it was just the traffic. Boy was it not a good nights sleep. The entrance to the hostel is sort of weird as well. It's nice that there is a gate because I felt safe but it was annoying to have to wait for reception to see you in order to let you in. Overall worst hostel experience in my entire travels… Mainly because of how awful the service was. The hostel itself is not too bad.

Room Tip: DO NOT get a room on the main street - if there is no other room availability I suggest you leave an...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My stay here was absolutely excellent. I arrived on Friday and it turns out there was a mixup with my reservation, so they didn't actually have it. This was through no way their fault; something happened with the booking website. Anyways, the manager without any hesitation got us a room for the night at a hotel down the street for the night. It was more expensive with breakfast included and they covered at the same rate I booked their room at. The next day we went back to Arenal Hostel Resort and checked into our room. The room and bathroom were very clean even though they weren't the prettiest. I felt 100% comfortable there. The area outside the room is beautiful with hammocks and a nice pool and bar.

That night we booked a ziplining tour with Arenal Mundo Aventura through the hotel. The experience was absolutely terrible. I wrote a review on this place if you are interested. Mundo Aventura pretty much told me they wouldn't give me a full refund even though I did not go on their tour in any way. I talked it over with the people at the office and the manager and the next day they told me that I would be refunded the full tour price. It only took about 3 days to get the money back to my credit card. Everyone at the office was incredibly nice and helpful in suggesting places to eat and activities to do. I highly recommend this place. They treat you well and the price is hard to beat as it is right in the heat of La Fortuna. I would gladly stay here again on my next visit to Costa Rica.

Clean rooms and friendly, extremely helpful staff.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

stayed in La Fortuna for 3 days at the Arenal Hostel Resort. The hostel was clean, staff was so nice, and the layout made you feel like you were at a resort. Right in the center of the town too! The hostel offers free shuttles and cheaper prices for the volcano activites.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Arenal Hostel and Resort was a nice place to relax for a night on our travels through Costa Rica. Upon arrival, there was a little confusion on the reservation, but it was quickly cleared up when I showed my receipt from Air BnB. Otherwise, the rooms were clean, AC units functioned well, and the common area was very nice with a pool, bar, hammocks and fountains. It was convenient having parking right out back, and made for easy loading/unloading. It definitely seems geared for a younger crowd, but was still very 'chill' for this 30 something professional :).

Room Tip: All the rooms seem to look out onto the courtyard and pool. We stayed in an upstairs room and it wa...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Arenal Hostel Resort? Share your experiences!