“Lovely place with fresh food” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Benedictus Steak House

Benedictus Steak House
La Palma de la Fortuna de San Carlos | frente de Hotel Volcano Lodge, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica
+506 2479 1912
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: International
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Late Night, Dessert, Private Dining
Description: Benedictus is settle in a volcano slope with a unique view to the valley of La Palma de la Fortuna and Monterrey.The restaurant its a beautiful wood building surrounded by pasture land and primary forest overlooking the valley.The lamb, cattle, pork and chicken we serve are breaded free range in the farm and we bring the vegetables from Tapezco a little town two hours away from Fortuna, where Mr. Juan Jose Paniagua, a Pioner in the organic agriculture in Costa Rica, produce the best organic vegetables. We are 800 metros away of the main road that link La Fortuna with the Arenal Lake. The gate its just in Front of the Volcano Lodge Hotel.
“Lovely place with fresh food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

The road is not that bad. After reading reviews about how step the road up is. Don't let that stop you from going it is totally do able.
I had steak and it was great. Hubby had lamb which would have been great if there was meat on the bones. There was three rib bones on the plate which looked like a great portion but there was hardly any meat. Daughter had a hamburger which was great and other daughter had the pasta which she loved but i tasted and thought was not good.
I would still recommend this place for service fresh food and location with view.

88% Recommend
Boston, Massachusetts
“Excellent all around!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Best service we experienced in all of Costa Rica. Server was extremely humble and attentive. The interior is a cozy cabin. The food was beyond excellent.

Visited September 2013
California
“Best Dinner in La Fortuna”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We chose this restaurant after reading the reviews here and were so glad we went. This restaurant was originally built as a home and then converted to a restaurant later. Because it was a home, that is the feeling you have when you dine there. It is small and intimate and very special. There are only five or 6 tables total, so make a reservation. We ordered steak, my husband the bacon wrapped and I one with peppercorn sauce. My children all ordered carbonara pasta. All of the food was delicious but we will all be dreaming about that bacon wrapped steak for years to come. Being from LA, we've eaten at some amazing steak houses, but this was far and away one of the best steaks I have ever had. Probably because the beef is grass fed and super fresh. Don't worry about the drive, it's not a big deal. If possible go before it gets dark to enjoy the view. Have a wonderful time!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Finally something different !!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

4x4 a must to deserve to eat at benedictus and enjoy the view. Go early !! Restaurant is a private villa which explains the cosy feeling.
All ingredients come from local organic production (both meat and vegetables). Lamb and fresh vegetables are an excellent replacement for chicken. Dessert was excellent. My lamb was a bit heavy on the rosemary.
This restaurant being relatively new, i'm sure this kind of imperfections will be ironed-out shortly.
Watch this place...

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Atlanta
“Really loved the atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

A very good choice for our first dinner. The ride there was an adventure that was worth the trip! Fun, bumpy road (4 wheel drive is recommended) to a farm house on the hill. Beautiful view, even at night (although evening would be better). The low lit, minimal table atmosphere was great and the servers were very pleasant. We liked the ceviche and the steaks were good as well. I wish I knew that the steak came with a mushroom sauce, as I thought I was just ordering a Filet, as the menu said. But I later came to find out, that serving filet with a mushroom sauce is standard for Costa Rica. But I much would have preferred a filet with out it. My husband and friend really enjoyed the dessert...some kind of plantain flambé. It's not my best meal ever, but I would still recommend it without a doubt.

• Visited July 2013