“Really loved the atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Benedictus Steak House

Benedictus Steak House
La Palma de la Fortuna de San Carlos | frente de Hotel Volcano Lodge, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica
+506 2479 1912
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: International
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Late Night, Dessert, Private Dining
Description: Benedictus is settle in a volcano slope with a unique view to the valley of La Palma de la Fortuna and Monterrey.The restaurant its a beautiful wood building surrounded by pasture land and primary forest overlooking the valley.The lamb, cattle, pork and chicken we serve are breaded free range in the farm and we bring the vegetables from Tapezco a little town two hours away from Fortuna, where Mr. Juan Jose Paniagua, a Pioner in the organic agriculture in Costa Rica, produce the best organic vegetables. We are 800 metros away of the main road that link La Fortuna with the Arenal Lake. The gate its just in Front of the Volcano Lodge Hotel.
Atlanta
“Really loved the atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

A very good choice for our first dinner. The ride there was an adventure that was worth the trip! Fun, bumpy road (4 wheel drive is recommended) to a farm house on the hill. Beautiful view, even at night (although evening would be better). The low lit, minimal table atmosphere was great and the servers were very pleasant. We liked the ceviche and the steaks were good as well. I wish I knew that the steak came with a mushroom sauce, as I thought I was just ordering a Filet, as the menu said. But I later came to find out, that serving filet with a mushroom sauce is standard for Costa Rica. But I much would have preferred a filet with out it. My husband and friend really enjoyed the dessert...some kind of plantain flambé. It's not my best meal ever, but I would still recommend it without a doubt.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

87% Recommend
Los Angeles, California
“Don't panic, it's organic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Nice drive up a steep winding hill, but worth it, gastronomic views!! Excellent pasta, seafood soup, bread with parsley, olive oil dip. Conscientious Tico owner, organically attuned, they grow much of what they offer up, including much of their own animal products. Not overly pricey, quality food, good atmosphere, old farmhouse high ceiling glass. Highly recommend.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Amazing service and beautiful views!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We went here on our last night and are so glad we did! It's a steep and bumpy drive up and back, but its all part of the adventure! The ambiance, organic food, and wine are well worth the climb, and the owner is simply an amazingly gracious and interesting person to sit and chat with if you get the opportunity to do so.

We went well after sunset, so we didn't fully experience the amazing views everyone raves about. But we were blessed with a full moon that night, which still allowed us to partially see the beautiful countryside.

The restaurant is located in a picturesque home and is very intimate and relaxing, a perfect dining experience! I highly recommend it to anyone traveling to La Fortuna and hope I have the opportunity to visit again soon!

Thank you for a wonderful experience and farewell! Pura vida!

Vermont
“Best steak ever.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

This place is fantastic. Everything was absolutely delicious. I wish I had gone before sunset, because I've heard the views are incredible. They would have to be, considering the drive to get there. Oscar is truly wonderful--what a gentle spirit, and definitely aims to please. Of course the meats were fantastic, but also they made some incredible seafood soup, and delicious tres leches cake. Thank you so much for a meal I will always remember.

Paris, France
“Great steak”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

The menu says "come for the view, stay for the food". We came at night, hence for the food -- no view by night --, and we were not disappointed. The steak special was very good; the tenderloin in pepper sauce excellent. Only the atmosphere was a bit downbeat: the place looks like the kitchen in a smallish Swiss chalet, and it was half empty on this off season evening.