“Minimal accommodations, very nice people” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel El Volcan

Save Saved
You added Hotel El Volcan to your Saves list
Hotel El Volcan
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   La Fortuna de San Carlos, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica   |
toronto
“Minimal accommodations, very nice people”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

First, I am surprised that the hotel is rated 2-1/2 stars. It should be closer to 1-1/2 stars to 2. Perhaps that's why some are disappointed. We got two rooms and they were decent but I would have expected more from a 2-1/2 stars, amenities-wise. We didn't read about the room near the road and boy, the group that stayed there suffered all night long. An inch gap from the top and the bottom of the door! (El Volcan, please fix the door!!!!) There's a dining table with a fridge and sink for anyone that needs to fix a simple snack. (The hotel is not too far from restaurants and grocery stores.)
The gentleman in the office was friendlier and more thoughtful than a 3-star hotel staff and we appreciated that. I would like to see a bit more personal touch and better quality for the price we paid--unripped towels and linens, maybe shampoo/conditioner in the bathroom--those things would make a difference on people's experience at El Volcan. I hope the people at El Volcan will read the reviews and make some adjustments--they have the right people.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

25 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

I travelled to La Fortuna to see the sights on a budget...I got a clean, comfortable room in a safe area close to el centro. A/C, hot shower (real ones, not the electric "suicide showers"), and fast WiFi for $42 per night all in.
The owner was incredibly helpful and even refused a tip after all he had done to help with trips, computer issues and late check-out.
I have travelled Costa Rica for 3 weeks and this was the best yet. La Fortuna and the area are gorgeous and this hotel is a great deal for the money. You won't regret staying at El Volcan.

Room Tip: close to the street can be noisy, and the walls are thin.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Hayward, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

El volcan is a reasonably priced no frills budget hotel very close to city center. The place looks more like a home with many rooms than a real hotel. When we arrived there during the peak season, they did not have the right room for the 4 people we had booked. The hotel manager Luis said there was a mix up between Expedia and his system which was showing that we were a party of 2. Since there were no other rooms left he put an extra bed in the already very small room that had 1 full and 1 twin bed. He switched us to the right room the next day and offered free breakfast in a place near by for the next day for the inconvenience caused. The room we got on the first day was right next to the road and had lot of road noise. The room on the second night was away from he road. Definitely ask for a room away from the road.

The hotel has a large common court yard with a shared fridge and a shared microwave oven. There is a big dining table that you can use to eat. The manager is friendly and goes out of his way to make your stay pleasant. There are some old PCs with Ethernet connections that you can use. There is no WIFI in the facility. There is a small grocery shop with in walking distance that you can buy quick groceries like milk or fruits. The hotel offers discounted prices on local tours.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from road.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

Good location, not on a busy street but short walking distance from the center, helpful staff, we needed to relax and everything was set for that.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2010

When I got off of the bus from Allajuela we were looking for a hotel in our price range I stumbled onto this hotel. When I went to the front desk the man behind the desk was real friendly and helpful. After he showed me the room I knew that it was the place that I was looking for. The rooms were big with color t.v. air conditioner and it felt real secure. It was walking distance from town about two blocks. He was real accomodating on booking us tours and calling around when I needed information on other activities in the area. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a place to stay in La Fortuna.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Huntington Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2010

I was traveling with a colleague while in Costa Rica, playing by day and working by night, and Hotel El Volcan was just what we wanted -- an inexpensive, clean, quiet room with a good Internet connection. We ended up working at the table in their covered common area for several hours. Afterwards, we walked to the town square and had great food at a restaurant right on the square. (I can't remember the name of the restaurant, but we ate their twice because we liked it so much.)

During the day we swam and did the rope swing at a local swimming hole and rented dirt bikes to ride around the volcano.

Mauricio, the proprietor, and his staff were very kind and accommodating to us and I'm glad to consider him a friend now. I would definitely return to this hotel if I'm in the area again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2010

Overall a great hotel! The guy at the front desk was super nice and helpful, and the room was clean and spacious. Great location, only two blocks from the center street and plaza, and on a good day you can see the volcano perfectly from the entrance of the hotel. The hotel also offers breakfast of either gallo pinto or cereal and fruit for $2.50, which you can't beat! The only complaint was that the beds were very stiff; I wouldn't say they were uncomfortable but they weren't overly comfortable either. Overall though a great deal with the perfect location, I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel El Volcan? Share your experiences!