“Just book and let Costa Rica Descents do the rest!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Costa Rica Descents

Costa Rica Descents
On the main road, towards the volacno in front of Lava Lounge Bar and Grill, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica
(506) 8361-2993 / (506) 2479-7308
Website
Improve this listing
Type: Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Costa Rica Descents is an adventure outfitter specializing in whitewater rafting. On our customized excursions you will literally plunge headfirst into the breathtaking beauty of Costa Rica. Imagine the excitement of whitewater rafting combined with the picturesque environment of Costa Rica's tropical rain forests. With safety as our number one priority, we hand-pick only highly trained and personable guides, whose primary concern is the quality of your experience.We also offer a chance for you to observe our exotic and colorful tropical birds with a qualified ecology expert. With us you can soak away your stress in natural hot springs, explore the country on horseback or a mountain bike and come face to face with the rainforest canopy. We make sure you take full advantage of everything this country s natural beauty has to offer.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Missoula, Montana, United States
6 attraction reviews
“Just book and let Costa Rica Descents do the rest!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

My wife and I purchased a partially inclusive 5-day vacation package from Costa Rica Descents (CRD) through LivingSocial, including several days worth of activities (class II-III rafting, touring an organic farm, river safari, jungle hike near volcano Arenal, and trip to Baldi Hot Springs Resort), lodging at Hotel La Pradera, and transfers to/from the airport in San Jose. We also added an 11-zipline jungle tour and a pass to La Fortuna waterfall (totally worth it!) after the fact. There were so many folks involved with provided us a world-class active vacation: Gonzo, Sofia, Alejandra, Coca, Jose, just to name a few. CRD's attention to detail, whether it was picking us up from the airport promptly or maximizing our enjoyment of each activity, was fairly remarkable. CRD is a great option for those who want to experience Costa Rica to the fullest, but only have less than a week to do so. If you've got a lot more time and/or you're wanting to travel on a shoestring budget, you'd probably be better off going a-la-cart with the activities, etc. For my wife and I, we had little time and were willing to pay a little bit more to optimize our use of time on the ground. The items that you would save on going a-la-cart would be the accommodations (they were very nice, but perhaps you're more of the spartan type?), the ride to/from the airport (but you would probably be forced to stay in San Jose at some point <danger, danger>), and booking fee (which came to 10 percent of the total deal, but honestly that's not much of a surcharge considering that they're driving you to/from just about every organized activity). So in summary, if you want to maximize your vacation and experience Pura Vida in Costa Rica in under one week, send CRD a message; they'll take care of the rest!

Visited June 2013
crdescents, Owner at Costa Rica Descents, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thank you for the recommendation , we are very pleased to read that you had such an enjoyable experience while here in Costa Rica. We will await you arrival of your next trip, maybe we will see you for class V rapids. Pura Vida

Boston, Massachusetts
“UNBELIEVABLE! Best Tour EVER!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

For my first time in Costa Rica I couldn't have been more happy and thankful that I booked everything through Costa Rica Descents and their Living Social deal package. For such a short stay, my best friend and I were able to really pack in SO MANY amazing adventures and it was all made so easy by Costa Rica Descents.

To say that the guides and drivers were excellent is an understatement! From the second we got off the plane we were welcomed with happy faces, lots of information and suggestions, and genuine great service. All the guides went WAY above and beyond to make this an over-the-top experience and they really catered to our every need and added SO many surprises along the way on each adventure. The guides and drivers are extremely intelligent, informative and most of all, passionate about their country, what they do, and the services they provide to visitors.

The office staff was also incredible with lining up our itinerary and making changes as we wanted and as they came. They made it a stress-free trip that turned out to be more than I could ever have imagined.

Be sure to use this company for a rafting adventure, as they clearly are the best in Costa Rica! And the only company that offers a comprehensive package for the upper Balsa River. Again, the little additions that we didn't expect were what put our adventures over-the-top.

Thank you SO SO SO SO SO SO much to everyone at Costa Rica Descents for making our trip the very best it could be. I will return soon and bring others and can't stop raving about your company and recommending your services to any travelers. You all are the BEST!

See you again soon! Pura Vida! :)
Ayme

Visited May 2013
It was our pleasure to have you here in Costa Rica. We are more then grateful for the review you have taken the time to do. Thank you once again, we really hope to have you here again soon.
Florida
4 attraction reviews
“Best tour in Costa Rica!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

By far the best activity that we did in Costa Rica. My dad and I went on the class III and IV rapids and had so much fun! The guide was great and the natural beauty of the Costa Rica mountains were breathtaking. We took a break halfway through rafting at a waterfall and got to snack on watermelon and pineapple. After rafting, we went to an organic farm for lunch and a tour, which was too awesome! This tour definitely captured the whole Costa Rica experience and I am planning on returning for the class V rapids!

Visited May 2013
crdescents, Manager at Costa Rica Descents, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
We are glad to read you enjoyed your trip while here in Costa Rica! We look forward to having you back here for class V rapids !
Quebec City, Canada
“Awesome day!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We had such a great time at the White-Water Rafting! The descent was very shaky (exactly what we wanted) and we felt safe the whole time. The lunch at the Organic Farm was simply delicious and the tour of the farm was soooo interesting! 10/10 for the amazing guys working there, we simply LOVED it!!!!

Visited May 2013
crdescents, Owner at Costa Rica Descents, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review. We hope to have you back here for another memorable experience.
Isla Colon, Panama
“Mis-Sold and Rude Staff”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I visited La Fortuna for the sole reason to go rafting with Costa Rica Descents after they came so highly recommended. I signed up to do the Class III / IV expecting a challenging and fun day, I was extremely disappointed. The /website said the tour was 6/7 hours, yet it turned out we spent about a third of the time in an Organic Farm learning about Costa Rica organic farming methods.

The rafting was not challenging and we kept getting stuck on rocks. My tour guide was in a bad mood when he came to pick us up and was very unhelpful. During the rafting he kept blaming me (the only male on the boat) for us getting stuck on the rocks in shallow parts of the river. The girls on the boat were very taken aback by this and came to my defense.

When I went to complain, I was met with an unhelpful member of staff and not offered any consolidation for an extremity expensive and disappointing day. The majority of people I spoke to said they expected the rafting to be fast and challenging and were disappointed at the quality of the river. Granted the rainy season is just beginning, but the tour was sold to me as proper white water rafting.

Visited May 2013
crdescents, Owner at Costa Rica Descents, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Thank you for choosing Costa Rica Descents and taking the time to provide your feedback. We are certainly displeased that your rafting trip was not all that it could have been. The tour is sold with the organic farm included, unfortunately we are experiencing our dry season and we can not control the water level. Safety is our number one concern so we certainly would not be running the river if the water was to low or to high. On behalf of our staff here at Costa Rica Descents we apologize for your rafting trip and we hope that the rest of your trip here in Costa Rica was most enjoyable.