“Great white water rafting experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Costa Rica Descents

Costa Rica Descents
On the main road, towards the volacno in front of Lava Lounge Bar and Grill, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica
(506) 8361-2993 / (506) 2479-7308
Website
Improve this listing
Type: Tours
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Costa Rica Descents is an adventure outfitter specializing in whitewater rafting. On our customized excursions you will literally plunge headfirst into the breathtaking beauty of Costa Rica. Imagine the excitement of whitewater rafting combined with the picturesque environment of Costa Rica's tropical rain forests. With safety as our number one priority, we hand-pick only highly trained and personable guides, whose primary concern is the quality of your experience.We also offer a chance for you to observe our exotic and colorful tropical birds with a qualified ecology expert. With us you can soak away your stress in natural hot springs, explore the country on horseback or a mountain bike and come face to face with the rainforest canopy. We make sure you take full advantage of everything this country s natural beauty has to offer.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Los Angeles, California, United States
3 attraction reviews
“Great white water rafting experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

This was my first time white water rafting. I'm not a swimmer so I was quite nervous. The staff was knowledgeable and made me feel at ease. This was a high quality tour as it included the rafting down a beautiful location, delicious fruit, lunch at an organic farm (best meal we had in CR) around gorgeous surroundings, sugar cane demonstration and education about preserving the environment. Antonio was our guide and Alberto was our guide during the rafting part of the trip. Very enjoyable and I highly recommend it to everyone

Visited March 2013
crdescents, Owner at Costa Rica Descents, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
We are pleased to read you had such an enjoyable experience. We hope that we will welcome you back to Costa Rica one day again soon.

Edmonton, Canada
8 attraction reviews
“Excellent White Water Rafting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I've always wanted to go white water rafting, and that's just what we did in the La Fortuna area. Costa Rica Descents took us to the Balsa River for the Class II-III rapids (with a couple class IV's too). They did a safety demonstration prior to getting into the raft. Each raft had an expert and professional guide to make sure we worked as a team and enjoyed the river safely. The guide's instructions were easy to follow, even if you've never rafted before. Half way through, we stopped at a waterfall for some fresh pineapple and watermelon. On a hot day, the river and fruit were refreshing. After rafting, we went to an organic farm closer to La Fortuna, where we had a delicious typical Costa Rican lunch. After which, we had a walking tour of the farm. Everyone was very friendly and willing to answer all our questions. I'd definitely recommend this trip to anyone thinking about going rafting! :)

Visited February 2013
Thank you for your recommendation and review. We hope to see you back in Costa Rica again soon.
Vancouver, Canada
4 attraction reviews
“Disappointing experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

A friend who had previously been rafting/kayaking with Costa Rica Descents highly recommended this trip. His whole family had received great service a couple of years ago, they raved about their guides by name. The day before our trip we met one of the owners at the office and he took the time to go over the trip with us and was very helpful - excellent customer service. He discussed our ability and the type of rapids so that we felt confident in our choice.

I have worked as a raft guide for 8 full time seasons, am a confident grade 3 kayaker (which is usually equivalent to grade 4 rafting) and have worked in the adventure tourism industry for over 10 years. This was my experience:

Johnny the photographer started the trip by rather aggressively and loudly addressing the minibus of customers, there were some younger children (maybe 10-12yrs) and I got the feeling he was trying to intimidate them and encourage them not to do the upper section. When we arrived at the put-in he turned his attention to the 3 of us who were kayaking. He talked/yelled at me in a very aggressive manner saying that the rapids were too hard and I should raft. I tried to ask questions to ascertain why conditions would have changed and I guess anything other then complete confidence in my own ability to kayak any level of river was taken as a sign of incompetence. He would not answer any questions but instead said that I would be too much trouble. He said that only the first 3-4 rapids were large and after that we would pick up the kayaks and I could kayak the majority of the trip.

At the put in the staff broke up a group of 4 & 6 into 2 groups of 5, the photographer again yelled and threatened us (saying 6 in a boat was unsafe - which was not correct in my opinion) with until a couple split up. The safety briefing was thorough and after adequate paddling practice we started the trip. The guides ran the river safely covering each raft well - a customer fell out at the largest rapid and took a particularly bad swim. The guides addressed the situation very quickly and professionally; and continued to care for the upset woman to a high level.

However, the level of attention given to my 2 friends who were kayaking was minimal at best. One of them is a very good kayaker so perhaps this is the reason; although from the way Johnny spoke I would think that the company would have run tighter with them. I ended up rafting the majority of the trip in the raft as the point to switch to my kayak was almost at the end of the trip. When I switched Johnny came back to yell at me one last time, calling me 'kayaker! kayaker!' instead of my name. He tried to talk me out of kayaking the last part (the first section was well within my ability-so I ignored him as best I could). He said that I couldn't hold up his raft trip etc - as a customer i felt belittled and as a whitewater professional a red flag went off in my head. Then the staff kayakers left - strange after the life or death speech I had just been given.

After the trip we had a beautiful lunch at an eco farm and a very informative and unexpected tour - probably the best part of the whole trip. The photographer then charged my friend $50 for the $30 photo cd. We filled out a feedback form and I have not been contacted by the company (I left my email & stayed beside their office for 3 more days) to address my experience.

The river was low and the guides seemed burnt out. I was constantly passed over for information, staff didn't even bother t introduce themselves. The customer service was terrible, the worst I have received for a long time.I would not recommend this company.

New York City, New York
“Must do !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We joined Costa Rica with a group of 5 friends to do the Class V of the upper uppper balsa. Staff is Professional, rafting was intense and we all had a lot of fun ! A must do and would do it again when i go back to la fortuna.

Visited November 2012
Thank you for choosing Costa Rica Descents and our class V section it was a pleasure to have you here and we hope to have you back again soon.
New Hampshire
6 attraction reviews
“Rafting trip was fun - farm was fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I'm not really into rafting, but the trip was great. Our guide Alberto was knowledgeable and very friendly and guided us over rapids and through beautiful, calm stretches. The farm tour and lunch is not to be missed. Definitely go with Costa Rica Descents - their service is wonderful and the rafting tour was great.

Visited March 2013
crdescents, Owner at Costa Rica Descents, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you for your recommendation, we are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay here!