“Lush beauty near La Fortuna” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Princesa de la Luna Eco Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in La Fortuna de San Carlos
Princesa de la Luna Eco Lodge
You added Princesa de la Luna Eco Lodge to your Saves list
La Fortuna, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 506, Costa Rica   |
San Diego, California
“Lush beauty near La Fortuna”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Our three-generation family of eight was pretty tired out by the time we reached the Princesa, having jumped in our rental cars after landing in San Jose and driving straight through. What a treat it was to arrive at such a dazzlingly beautiful spot and to be treated so nicely. Manuel and Yasmina made sure we were comfortable and served us excellent meals. We did lots of bird watching and some jungle exploring on the property and were entranced by the volume and variety of life around us. Views of the volcano were spectacular. Still, as has been noted in other reviews, this eco lodge is not for everyone. If you need resort-level amenities and are squeamish about a little "wild" life, Choose another place. For us, Princesa will be a lasting memory of loveliness.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We loved this place!
Staying here was a true high-light of a very well-highlit trip to Costa Rica my husband, my 7 year old daughter, and I took in June. This place is really special.
The lodge itself is really nice- the deck is huge and comfortable with lots of lounges to take in the wide open view over the jungle below and to the volcano (dormant now so don't expect any spewing) or to spectacular evening thunderstorms. We spotted lots of birds from here- eagles and toucans. The bedroom was big and comfortable and we liked the outdoor shower (there's an indoor one too!). The lighting could be improved in the bedroom because it gets a little dark- we actually used our headlamps at night. The kitchen and dining areas are open (ie no doors, no windows) and really beautiful- views out to the jungle everywhere. One might expect to find lots of critters given the open-ness of everything, but aside from a few geckos, we had no such encounters. I'm petrified of spiders- didn't see a single one.
Right out from the lodge are well-maintained paths that take you down jungle paths to a small pool and, further in, a creek leading to a waterfall. Our explorations into the jungle were accompanied by Chiquita and Paco- a couple of the dogs that happily roam around the lodge. Being a dog-lover is definitely a requisite as the dog presence is high!
The meals at the lodge, all cooked by Jasmine, are fantastic. Fresh juice from fruits I'd never tasted, full meals with desert. Yum.
One of the issues that concerned us most when we booked a room with the lodge was its location- because we didn't rent a car and we wanted to get into La Fortuna for tours, etc, we were concerned about being too remote. It is indeed a bit of a trip into town! And it costs about 8 dollars, one way, for the 20 minute, very rough ride. A rough enough ride that we actually had one taxi driver turn us down! No regrets, though. The remoteness wasn't a deal-breaker for us and we appreciated having the jungle all around us to explore.
Finally, a word about the hospitality- Esteban was the guy we communicated with when we made the reservation and answered all our questions, etc. He wasn't at the lodge while we were there but we were well taken care of by Jasmine and Katrina. We did, however, eventually get to meet Esteban who went to heroic efforts to reunite my distraught daughter with the stuffed animal she left behind at the lodge. He actually hand-delivered it to us at the hotel where we were staying in San Jose, the last night before our departure back to the States! Great people, great lodge. Wish I was sitting on that deck now, drinking from a coconut.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
San Jose
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I´ve been at Princesa de la Luna 4 times already, I love how peaceful this place is, I feel like at home but with beautiful views. I really recommend this place if you are one of those that enjoy nature and a peaceful place to stay.This is the perfect place for family, friends, couples, even if you go on your own, I was able to go to the Arenal Volcano in a matter of minutes, I love walking in the middle of nature and get to its pool to have a nice time, and because of its location it is very private. Hope you enjoy it the same way I do!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are equally good
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Sparta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

To be fair, my family and I were not prepared for just how Eco this ecolodge is. Bizarrely, there was no one around when we arrived, in the swelter of late afternoon, after a really rough ride up to the lodge. The pool was empty, the veranda was nice enough but would feel too crowded with more than a couple of people. We sat on the veranda, walked around the grounds for an hour and still no sign of a soul. There's no ac, the fan in our room didn't work, and did I mention there was no one around? It felt like the zombie apocalypse, which would be the only time I'd consider staying here. It is a step up from camping, but for the price, didn't seem worth it. Oh, and I never got my money back.

Room Tip: Don't go here unless you want a step up from camping
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Miami Springs, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Definetely Luna Ecolodge is a very unique place where you will really enjoy GREEN LIVING; it is an amazing ecofriendly refuge, and its rustic buildings with hardwoods brings you such great atmosphere to get relax, we love it !!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

I gave this hotel a 5 star review and I stand by it. But you need to know there are a few quirks, although, I think these quirks make it all the better. 1st, you should have your own car and preferably a 4 wheel unit. The dirt road is rough with steep hills. If the road is wet it is going to be very difficult to get in or our. 2nd the drive up the road takes just as long as it does to get into La Fortuna. 3rd, the cabin we stayed in is plain and a little buggy, although it didn't bother me but it might bother others. We were in a cabin away from the main building which was nice and quiet, there were a few bugs inside, but who cares, you are in the rainforest and they don't bother you. The views of Mt Arenal are truly amazing from this hotel and next time we come we will definitely be staying here again. Also, the food was nice although dinner was a bit pricey.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
dade city
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I wanted my girls to experience Costa Rica and not from a resort. This place worked perfectly.Simple accommodations with very friendly people. Jonathan is awesome and very helpful.I would recommend renting a car since it is expensive to take taxi when you want to get around. It is a beautiful place and beautiful country.

Room Tip: rooms 1 and 2 have great views
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Princesa de la Luna Eco Lodge? Share your experiences!