“The best ATV Tour of my Life” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Off road/All Terrain Vehicle Trails, Adventure
Phoenix
4 attraction reviews
“The best ATV Tour of my Life”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2010

Our guide Harol was the best. My friend and went to Costa Rica exclusively for the ATV Tour. We tried several companis to get an 8 hour tour but the only had a 4 or 2 hour tour. Fourtrax was the only company to make an exception and allows us to go on an 8 hour excursion. Harol took us on the best trail in the area along with a detailed explanation of the history of the area. We were able to cross a 4ft deep river twice (AWESOME)! We had several opportunities to get wet and rock n roll. Harol was concerned about feeding us but we convinced him that we were not their to eat but to ATV!. So he took us to a local futbol (soccer) game to take a break and have a beer. We were able to enjoy every minute of the 8 hours and several different terrains. This was the reason for our trip and it exceeded are expectations. I was concerned that he was just going to be a tour in the park but Harol did not disappoint. Thank you again, Harol!

Chicago, IL
87 attraction reviews
“This was a good adventure”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

This was my last excursion on my trip to Costa Rica and I honestly was pretty burned out by the time I tried ATVing. In comparison to other activities in the area, the price was a little steep.

My morning began pretty early where the company arranged to have a taxi pick me up at 7am. I was pretty tired and the morning started out with rain; I quite honestly didn't want to go anymore, but I knew I couldn't just NOT show up. When the taxi took me to the solitary stand at the side of the road, my willingness to do anything decreased. When I was asked to pay the $85 in cash, my desire decreased even more. I kindly explained that I didn't have any cash on me and they should just charge it to the credit card with which I made the reservation. The female rep explained that her credit card machine wasn't working but she would try to figure something out. I figured that would be my ticket to weasel my way out of the adventure, but no such luck. She called the main office and got me squared away in less than ten minutes.

I was directed towards the row of waiting ATVs and I just didn't have the desire to follow through with the tour. That feeling was magnified when I discovered that I would be the only person doing the tour - it was just me and my guide, a young guy who still appeared to be a teenager. I (again) thought I got my out because surely they couldn't do a tour with only one person, but no such luck. Come hell or high water they weren't canceling that tour for no one!

I started out by getting a tutorial on how the ATV worked, the fact that there were several gears, how to shift up and down, start and stop the engine, and key hand signals. I was led to a small patch of dirt where I practiced some turns and stops before being led out to begin the tour. By this time I was pretty scared because I saw that in order to get to our first path we would have to get on the main road shared by cars and trucks. I didn't like that idea, but chickening out wasn't an option. My guide led me along the path to view Arenal River and it took us about 30-45 minutes to get there. It was pretty calm and beautiful and as we were leaving was when I would say that I finally felt comfortable enough to relax and enjoy it. The rain started pouring down and I was glad that I was wearing a water resistant jacket and a baseball cap with a long brim as the rain was pouring into my eyes.

The tour continued and we headed in an opposite direction up the hill to Cerro Chato for the lookout point to see La Fortuna Waterfall. The park entrance fee is included in your excursion price, but I must say that we didn't stay there for too long. That may have been due to the fact that it was just me and there really wasn't a need to spend all day, but we pretty much went to the lookout point, I took a few photos and it was time to head back down the mountain. Your fee also includes a bottle of water, so I cashed in on that just before we left.

Once we were done with Cerro Chato, it was time to go down the hill to see what they describe as a "jungle watering hole." It's actually La Fortuna River and with larger groups they encourage you to jump into the water and swim for a little bit. Again, when you're by yourself, jumping into the river didn't appeal to me and I simply took pictures from the side. Once we left La Fortuna River, my guide really just took me driving around to see a little more of the small homes and plantations in the area. We then rode to a small restaurant on the hill where I was served a typical Costa Rican breakfast. That consisted of toast, eggs and rice and beans. It was pretty good, although I don't eat eggs and didn't sample any. Once breakfast was done, it was time to head back to the main office so a taxi could take me back to my hotel.

All in all, I truly enjoyed my time with Fourtrax. Again, I started out feeling scared and not wanting to do it, but ATVing is another adventure that's best enjoyed in Costa Rica. I honestly couldn't recommend it as a "must do," but if ATVing is your thing, I think you'll enjoy the tour the company has put together. My guide was very helpful and kept looking back to make sure I was doing okay. He also took the time to stop and point out different flora and fauna along the routes. Again, the price is a little steep, but when I consider that I had taxi service from and to the hotel, three different places that I visited and the fact that my park entrance fee, a bottle of water and breakfast were included, it probably isn't a bad deal after all.

Centreville, MD
29 attraction reviews
“Dangerous and not recommended”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2009

We made a huge mistake! We thought that an ATV tour would be a great way to see the volcano. When we were in the US, we were told that you have to be 16 to ride an ATV, but our sons are 15 and 12. Our hotel tour person called the ATV company and said that it was ok to put them on a double. We thought that we were getting an ATV that would fit 2 people, however, it is a single ATV and the second person sits on the back and holds on.

They took about 16 people and only had 1 adult guide. The other two guides were a child (probably 10 years old) and a teenager (probably 18). They were doing stunts and tricks instead of spending time teaching and helping us to drive the ATV. Everyone in our tour told them at the beginning that no one had experience, but you would think that we were on an advanced course once we got out there.

Someone ran into my husband's ATV (where our son was riding on the back) and ran into his hand. We weren't sure if it was broken or not and asked to leave the trip early. Also, my husband's ATV did not have a push button transmission or even a working screen.

ATV's are very dangerous and you can really get hurt!