“I would stay here again without question!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Lavas del Arenal

Save Saved
You added Hotel Lavas del Arenal to your Saves list
Hotel Lavas del Arenal
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   300 Oeste de la Escuela de EL Bosque, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica   |
San Jose, Costa Rica
“I would stay here again without question!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014 via mobile

Lavas del Arenal is a fantastic little hotel just before the town of La Fortuna. There is a river on the property as well as a swimming pool and beautiful Costa Rican landscaping with heliciconias and palms. From the road you can see Volcan Arenal, and in a 5 minute drive you can access La Fortuna city center.

The hotel offers many great connections to tours, and at fantastic prices. You don't need a car- most of the tours will pick you up. We did ziplining and it was incredible!! We passed over La Fortuna waterfall as well as White Pine waterfall.

The hotel also includes a typical breakfast and it was the perfect way to start the day.

The staff was friendly and the owner was very helpful as well.

If I were to come back to Arenal I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

This is a quaint little hotel that is 10 min outside La Fortuna. Our stay was tranquil and relaxed, as the owner and manager of the hotel greeted and treated us fantastically. The river running through the property is a pleasant way to fall asleep. He was very informative and attentive to our needs. He also gives the best way to experience Arenal cheaply while seeing all it has to offer.

Room Tip: the first 5 rooms are the best
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

This resort is privately owned by a local named Mario. He is an amazing host who will do almost anything to accommodate you as he did for us. It's not a 5 star hotel, but you're not paying for one. We got way beyond our money's worth. The location is good: Just minutes from town but tucked away far enough that its safe and quiet. I stayed there with my wife, but you can bring kids too. And the scenery is beautiful. the garden, the restaurant (free breakfast), the view of the volcano, etc. I would definitely go there again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Marco Island, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I have stayed at Lavas 5 or 6 times and have always enjoyed my stay. Nice clean rooms, good food, and good service. Wi Fi everywhere on the property. Cable TV is very good too.
I like the fact that the hotel is not downtown but rather remote, quiet and peaceful. The babbling brook at the back of the property, with a bottle of wine and a good company make for outstanding evenings. I'll be back.

Room Tip: Let them know ahead of time how many in your party and what your needs are. They have accommodation...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Curitiba, PR
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

The worse part: we had a tour included in our reservation (already paid) and we presumed somebody would pick us up at the hostel, as usual, but no. We were suposed to go by ourselves to the place and nobody told us about it, so we missed the tour! And friendly he gave us the option of going walking (15km).

The hotel was far way from La Fortuna town, we spent about 10 dollars (one way) in taxi (you have great and cheap options in town). The room was small but good enough, there were a microwave and a small frigde and a cable tv. But the microwave didin't work properly and the shower was very bad, it turned itself off and got cold. The swimingpool was SO DURTY.

The only good think was the meals, we had lunch and breakfast included and I was very tasty.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Fort Worth, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

I recently visited Costa Rica and stayed at your hotel (May 16-18). The purpose of my message is to commend you for the staff at the hotel. First of all, the place is so cute, comfortable and attractive, and it's in a good location. The rooms are clean and provide basic comforts. It was helpful to rent a car so we could drive to La Fortuna in order to eat and shop. I was glad I didn't stay in a hotel in town. The hotel offered a visit to the nearby waterfalls which is a breathtaking site you don't want to miss.

I would like to thank the staff: Bernie, Monica, Yerlie, and Virgilio for being so nice and making us feel so welcome. I told Yerlie I wish I could take her home with me!

Fort Worth, TX

Room Tip: Second floor room is more comfortable.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Virginia Beach, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

Mario, the owner was extremely helpful in setting up our itinerary.I went on line first and picked out what I wanted to do and he scheduled it with discounts. We did rent a car, which I highly recommend, since you are somewhat remote at this hotel. Everything was clean and simple. Pool was cute. At night, you share the pool with the local frogs. We stayed 6 nights and breakfast was the same every morning. The only unfortunate thing was that the owner, Mario, was in the States at the time of our stay and Monica and Benny were running the show. They speak little English so bring your Smartphone translator. THis is definitely not a resort but the Groupon price was right.

Room Tip: It gets dark at 5:30 pm and there is no night life/action nearby so bring something to occupy yourse...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Lavas del Arenal? Share your experiences!