“Good Service, Good Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Lavas del Arenal

Save Saved
You added Hotel Lavas del Arenal to your Saves list
Hotel Lavas del Arenal
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   300 Oeste de la Escuela de EL Bosque, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica   |
San Jose, Costa Rica
“Good Service, Good Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Me and my girlfriend decided to take a small vacation out of San Jose (We are locals). We bought an offer on a popular discount site (Locals Only) and we were on our way. We took a rental car as mine was going into the paint shop, we took a Hyundai Accent Blue from Adobe Rent a Car and we left San Jose around 11 AM.

I knew the Hotel was a few KMs out of Arenal, and our GPS (Regular Garmin) found the place with ease. On arrival the small reception kind of gave a negative impression, but the person receiving was extremely friendly (not sure if he was the owner). He welcomed us, talked to us about the tour we picked, and explained to us how the hotel was set up and the breakfast. He then took us to the room.

The rooms were very pleasant, they are small but comforting, they include a small fridge, and a nice LCD TV. The shower was pretty big and nice, the bed was comfortable, and the room was well set up overall, some nice decorations.

The hotel itself was nice, the surroundings included a small wood table and trunks to sit on, the pool area looked nice (didn't use it).

The food was rather below average, the fruit was OK, the pinto on the first day was very dry and didn't really have any taste, but it wasn't that bad. The drinks good and the coffee aswell.

Take note, if YOU come to this hotel, you will need a CAR, or awesome hitchhiking skills, it is far from Arenal. Around 10 minutes by car.

Dislikes:
* The coffee maker in our room was dirty, and looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a year.
* Lavatory had a small leak, on the first day they said they would fix it, by the time we left, still no fix.
* With the curtains closed the room is very dark, might be a good idea to have night table lamps or something.
* There is no restaurant, but they do make food if you order it. We ordered dinner and they gave me a small piece of chicken that looked like it had come off a small chick.
* AC took a while to cool and it was noisy. (And was leaking on the wood inside the room)

Liked:
* Price, for what we got, the price was fair I guess.
* Friendly service, even if we were local they were very nice and friendly.
* Room was cleaned daily and gave fresh towels.
* Far from everything, so it is VERY quiet. It gives piece of mind.
* The whole layout of the hotel is very nice, and green areas a in top shape.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

188 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Desamparados, San Jose, Costa Rica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I visited this hotel with my girlfriend last week and our state was not as good as described by other users.

The beds are not really confortable. During the breakfast the fruit was not fresh, the tea was servered after we finished our "pinto", and for some reason we had to use the same fork that used for our fruits to eat the "pinto".

In the bedroom the air cooler was not working propely and fridge barely worked.

Besides that the pool was not clean and the checkout is at 11:00 am so basically you will not be able to do anything before cheking out

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Mario B, Owner at Hotel Lavas del Arenal, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Hi Walter and thanks for the feedback we love it. We are always trying to improve the experience our guests receive when visiting our hotel.
First of all I would like to know in which room you stayed as I want to make sure I go and check the mattress to see if something is wrong with it.
About the fruit I personally buy the fruits each morning in La Fortuna, so it is a surprise to know that you find them not fresh. About the tea you are right, it should had been served at the same time you are eating the rice and beans, I will make sure I will bring this up with my team in our weekly meetings, so we pay more attention to what we do. About the using the same fork you use for the fruits that has always been the way we do it and have had no complaints until now. We will evaluate if this is something we can change, but by using only one fork and knife we also save on washing extra silverware which means we use less water and we are trying to be as green as possible. About the "air cooler" I guess you mean the air conditioner? Once again if you could please let us know what room you were in so we can check it, same for the refrigerators. You can write to me directly mario.brenes@lavasdelarenal.com

About the check-out we always inform our guests they need to return the keys by 11:00 am so we have time to clean the rooms by 2:00 pm which is our official check-in time. This is one are we will not change as we need enough time to make 100% sure the room is clean to high standard, I am pretty sure a lot of guests will appreciate this. But we also allow our guest to stay in the hotel, in the swimming pool or using the barbecue grills. This has happened a lot of times, where guests stay and leave by 3 pm or later. The fact that we have a check-out at 11:00 am does not mean the guest has to leave.

We take the reviews very seriously as that is the only way we can improve for the benefit of our guests. I wish you could have told me about the AC and the refrigerators as we have new ones in the storage room in case they go bad, I could have replace them right away.

Once a week we check everything in each room to ensure they are, AC, refrigerators, microwaves, coffeemakers, TVs, etc. We have noticed that sometimes the filter could cause the AC not to work 100% and that is an easy fix. But please write to me so we can take care of these issues, I have just instructed the maintenance guy to go check all rooms to find which one is the one with the problems as I cannot find your name this past weekend in our system.

We really want to thank you for the feedback, and I really wish you could have told all this so I could have ensured your stay with us would have been up to your expectations.

Mario Brenes
Hotel Lavas del Arenal
(56) 2479-1171
mario.brenes@lavasdelarenal.com
orlando
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

It was 4 of us, young guys, looking for adventure and fun in Costa Rica! We were not looking for 5 star resort, so this hotel for the price and description was the best match and we did not get disappointed. Hotel located in a small quite place, away from the city center(but 5 minutes by car), has nice backyard with bbq aria, pool and little river coming running from the mountains, very peaceful! all you need after long day full of attractions. And sure this hotel would not much different from the others, if not the owner!!! Thank You a lot!! He made our stay amazing. He speaks good English, he recommended the best attraction to go, helped us to get discount prices, gave us the ride around the town just for little fuel charge, brought us to fresh market, so we could get the meet and veggies for BBQ, helped to rent a car, etc. If you are the first time visitor - I definitely will recommend this hotel for everyone. If I ever go to La Fortuna again, I'll stay there. Once again, if you are looking for the nice, warm atmosphere and not for 5star resort with 50'' flat screen TV - this is the place to go! Thank You, Mario!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Our family of five (3 kids 11,9,5) stayed here for three nights. The room was clean and spacious. It is hard for a family to find quality but well priced accommodations but this was perfect. Each child had his/her own bed and we shared a Queen. The room was cleaned daily and fresh towels were provided. Breakfast was included and was very good. My kids loved it (fresh fruit, fresh juice, eggs, beans/rice, bread, tea, coffee) all served outside in an airy patio. We ate dinner there twice bc it was just easy after a long day and the food was excellent. No menu but they offer a very typical casado plate and it is fresh and very good. It is very family friendly with a small play area, swing, creek, and clean pool. Mario and his family make you feel like old friends. He was incredibly helpful, attentive, and friendly. His English is perfect but he was also nice enough to try and speak Spanish with my kids who are still learning the language. I felt very welcomed and would highly recommend this hotel. A car might be helpful but it you reserve tours you will have transport that way. Also, it is easy to get a cab, too. That is another good thing...Mario seems always there to help or answer questions. All of our needs were met incredibly quickly and with genuine care/concern.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

On our arrival we had a small hiccup when we were told our 3 night reservation had only been made for 2 but we were assured it would be resolved. We had a great introduction to the place and found a lovely clean room with a nice bed, great AC a fridge and a nice big shower. We said that we'd have to leave early the next morning before breakfast for our tour but the owner said we could come to breakfast early and something would be made for us.
There's a nice little pool that was good for a bit of a chillout after a day out and about in Arenal. At one stage some music was put on specially for us and the pool was cleaned, without us asking I might add.
It is a bit out of La Fortuna and all its bars and restaurants, which was fine for us having a car but may prove a bit more awkward without transport although I'm sure a taxi ride wouldn't cost too much.
It took a few chats because the owner was very busy with expansion work but in the end we stayed in our room for a 3 nights so things worked out brilliantly.
On our leaving we were given some great advice that proved helpful on our onward journey.
A great little place to stay.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Cape Coral, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

First two nights in Costa Rica were here. Best welcome you could ever have. Small creek behind property, nice pool and covered breakfast/meal area. Room was nice. Saw toucans in the trees in the morning, great free breakfast. Garmin GPS brought us right there. Very friendly, helpful people. Would have loved to stay more.

• Stayed February 2013
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

This quiet gem is located just outside of La Fortuna within easy traveling distance to the Arenal Volcano, a variety of hot springs, and any hiking/ziplining/animal safari adventures you could want.

Rooms are spotless and equipped with air-conditioning, microwaves, and a fridge. Pool and grounds are also well-maintained with a great balance of manicured plants and unfettered nature nearby.

Mario, the owner, is the most friendly and helpful person you could ever hope to meet. I was traveling with two girlfriends and he gave us outstanding advice regarding safety, the best tours and attractions, hooked us up with discounts, and told us how to avoid scams. He went above and beyond to make sure that our stay was enjoyable.

Breakfast is included every day -- delicious fresh fruit, beans and rice, eggs in a variety of styles, and Costa Rican coffee for the caffeine-deficient of the world. Additionally, you're eating in a shaded outdoor area with gorgeous plants and tropical birds near enough to view (but not to interfere with breakfast!)

Shower took a little while to drain. That's about all I've got for drawbacks.

I've already told my mother and sister that we'll be staying here on our next trip.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Lavas del Arenal? Share your experiences!