“Great combination of action and relaxation” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Springs Resort and Spa

Save Saved
You added The Springs Resort and Spa to your Saves list
The Springs Resort and Spa
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Near Montana de Fuego, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica   |
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great combination of action and relaxation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2010

We stayed at the Springs Resort in Arenal for 3 days with our two young boys (ages 6 and 10). What a fantastic place! We drove 3 hours from San Jose to get there, up and down winding roads seemingly in the middle of nowhere and then came the oasis that is the Springs. Our room was fantastic (#101)...had a separate room for the kids with 2 single beds that was perfect so they had their own space and so did we. All the rooms face the volcano. My husband enjoyed quiet coffee on the patio each morning in our pj's...listening to the sounds, watching the hummingbirds and staring at the volcano. The cat sanctuary was a huge hit with the boys and Allen was highly knowledgeable. Andres was a particularly personable waiter who went out of his way to talk to the boys and work on their spanish when he saw them. The 18 pools were beyond amazing. I think we made it to at least 15 of them. The kids particularly liked the Monkey slide which seemed almost hidden in the jungle (in a great way). We could linger in the heated mineral pool above the slide and keep an eye on the kids at the same time.
We enjoyed the restaurants and bars and made use of the game level (pool, chess and checkers) daily. The food was good but not outstanding. For dinner we'd hoped for more local cuisine...less of the international food that can be found anywhere. One suggestion for the Springs might be to add some "Typico" cuisine to the menu....the kind of food grandmas in Costa Rica cook.

While in Arenal we went to the Lake, did a horseback riding tour up the volcano with Defasio Tours [--] which was outstanding. The horses actually ran quite a bit and we all had a great time. We also went to town for dinner and did a quick tour of Lake Arenal. We didn't make it to the Hanging Bridges part (right near the lake) but it is on our list for next time.

Would DEFINITELY recommend this hotel to couples or families with children. We would certainly go back.

1,292 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
Palatine, Illinoi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2010

On the whole a very unique place to visit. The resort itself is like something out of an architectural digest or gardening magazine piece. The resort is quite unique and distinctive and beautiful. The grounds were well manicured and full of all kinds of exotic and beautiful plants. The hot springs were very nice and fun to play and soak in and you can play in beautiful waterfalls surrounded by jungles. Great for fun and romance. Our room was roomy, well furnished and featured just about every amenity I could think of , even some umbrellas to use (which helped a lot while we were there). There were unique features such as wood arched doorways and marble tiled balcony flooring. They have an excellent small zoo featuring wild cats and monkeys at the property but you need to take a golf cart tram or a horseback ride or ride an ATV down the long winding path to get there (easily arranged through the hotel staff).

some disadvantages: resort is 3.5 km away from the main road on a curvy, hilly small road which makes getting to and from the resort for day trips more lengthy. I would not recommend this resort if you want to spend lots of time in and around La Fortuna or doing lots of day trip adventures as it is rather far from the town. The resort restaurants were good and reasonable but were not outstanding . Unless you are prepared to climb up and down at least 6 flights of stairs several times per day, would not suggest this resort as it is terraced into a long hillside. There is an elevator for the resort but it was out of order our entire visit. Also, do NOT expect to see the Arenal volcano which is visible only a minority of the time. We saw perhaps 75% of the extent of the volcano at a maximum during our four day stay. I was also disappointed to find out that the lava flows and eruptions have not been visible on the Springs resort side of the volcano for quite some time; so don't expect to see any exploding volcano action while you are hanging at the resort! The electricity was out for several hours on our last evening and early morning while we were there. I would suggest bringing a flashlight! This might be a more common occurence in less developed countries.

albany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2010

first-my two brothers from ablany and i went here to celebrate a big birthday-second i don't know the owner-yes this place is expensive but it is worth it!! unfortunately the website doesn't do the place justice-the website to me makes the place look a bit contrived but when there its feels very natural and perfect-i know this is hard to believe but the place works for both families with kids and for romantic couples-the place never felt crowded one bit!-the views of the volcano and valley are to die for,whether from your bedroom or from the different levels and different pools-before i forget go for the alta vista room gives you high ceilings and a higher floor-yes this is a luxury resort but it doesn't have that snob factor of other luxury places-food was very good-help was great (jonathan & randall & allan and more)if there ever was a place to splurge on this would be it-we rented a car cause it is a bit out of town and down a very very long entrance-oh and the rooms are fabulous and the bathrooms huge with great showers and tubs-i could go on and on-we didn't want to leave for our next location- another tip-when you submit emails thru the site they don't seem to get answered so try another way!

Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2010

This is an unearthly place. I kept asking myself, "Am I still on Earth because this is like no place I've ever been." Perhaps seeing it in the movies is the closest sensation I can relate. Serenity, enchantment, awed - these are words that come to mind when thinking about this hotel and this place - I was enraptured so to speak - staying with the whole Jurassic Park and Heaven theme. This is the most amazing hotel I have ever seen...and I live in the states in Florida. We went on our honeymoon from December 11 - 19th, a good 8 nights here.
Pros:
Amazing hotel, perfect room – the bed was sooo comfortable it had memory foam and a pillow top, loved the surround sound, the TV, the look and feel of the room, the bathroom was a great size, every room has a perfect view, if you want a view of the valley pick the Alta Vista room, if you want still a great view of the volcano and for the animals to come right up to your room pick the Vista room, the 18 springs are Perfecto - you'll find the perfect temperature or hop from one to the other, the service is fantastic - everyone is there to help you - I loved Antionetta our server, Jorge our horse-back riding guide, and Allan our tour guide who took to see the night lava tour and the hanging bridges, there are some great meals here and the breakfast is great. Food I loved: the salads, the fruit, the French toast, the gallo pinto (rice and beans), the avocado and bacon sandwich, the one chicken pasta dish they have.
Cons:
Every place has their slight let downs - even heaven I suppose, the walls are thin so if you have a noisy neighbor or one who leaves their TV on too loud (surround sound doesn't help) then this could break your perfect serenity...however the manager will be there to fix this in a jiffy and give you another more quiet room - I must mention though that it is amazing how quiet it is out here because all you hear is the beautiful water and it blocks all other sounds from a distance...they are working on more rooms here - but you can't hear it. The only other Con I can think of is that there is only a few good menu items despite there being three main restaurants...in other words there was only about 5 meals that I would get over and over again....not counting the great breakfast...now mind you we stayed there for 8 nights and around 8 days...so the meals got a little repetitious, however if you take a tour or go into La Fortuna...you won't be disappointed with food if you like rice and beans, chicken, and empanadas, and fruit.
Activities you shouldn't miss:
Lounging in the hot springs, eating food and drinking cocktails in the swim up bar, getting up early in the morning to view the volcano from your bed and porch, the hanging bridges tour - unforgettable, perhaps take an overnight trip to Monteverde per boat-ride through lake Arenal - this will cut travel time from 2 1/2 hrs by car to 1 1/1 by water - Monteverde is home to some spectacular creatures, go lining at Arenal - the thrill of a lifetime and the views are unbeatable, try and see the lava flow at night - go here during the later on dry season to see this (Feb - May my best guess), I also heard the white water rafting is a lot of fun, and also I would have loved to have gone on a river float rafting ride or tubing. Also, go into town for great food, shopping, and Costa Rican Ambience. The only downside to Costa Rica is the driving is scary with the narrow roads, potholes, and cliffs everywhere....don't let this deter you get a driver... the shuttles are worth getting from the hotel - especially don't want to rent a small car and get stuck in the mud there...I wouldn't want to drive here especially in the rain. They will drive you anywhere and the taxis are easy to get and cheap. Oh, and on another note you will get a workout here (if you're not used to it like me) so if you have severe health problems I wouldn't come to Costa Rica at all...but the hotel is on multiple levels.
Even though this hotel is expensive it is totally worth it if for what you are getting - an unbeatable life experience. I didn't want to leave. Costa Rica and the rain forest are amazing! Thank you so much Springs Resort and Spa...just breath-taking.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
San Jose, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2010

The place was more or less empty when we went because of the recession here in the U.S.A. It was great to have all of the hot springs practically to ourselves! The staff was warm and incredibly accommodating. The room was incredible. We would definitely go back!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2010

Thank you Joey!

My husband and I recently visited the Springs Resort and were extremely impressed. During our first day in Arenal we purchased a day pass to visit the Springs and after one hour at the hotel decided to change our reservation elsewhere and book a room. The manager Joey was very accommodating and we made an easy switch. We clearly made the right choice for the start of our honeymoon. The room and grounds were beautiful, the service was great, and the spring pools were amazing! That evening we visited the hotel’s wild animal conservatory, found secluded (natural!) heated pools to soak in, had some drinks at the poolside bar, and then retreated to the Jacuzzi in our stunning bathroom. My husband and I both agreed that outside of our wedding it was our most romantic evening together. The next day we woke up to a rainy morning and were originally disappointed that we could not visit Arenal National Park. Instead, we enjoyed breakfast at the hotel (the staff kindly accommodated my husband’s dietary needs), relaxed on our private balcony’s hammocks, spotted a toucan in the distance, and got great massages  Needless to say, we were no longer upset about being “stuck” at the hotel. Our plans took us next to other cities in Costa Rica and we still regret not staying in Arenal longer. After returning to NY we posted our trip album online and sure enough our pictures of the Springs resort got the best response. Our friends and family now want to visit too!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
denver, co.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2010

My boyfriend and I found this place through our friends who had just been married in Costa Rica and chose the Springs for their wedding moon party. We spent the day there and had the time of our life! We loved it so much that at the end of our trip we traveled 8 hours out of our way just so we could stay there for the last 2 nights of our Costa Rican adventure. The volcano is perfectly framed by the architecture of this hotel, so pretty much anywhere you stand in this resort the view is phenomenal, from our room, and from the pool, and the hot springs, and the restaurants...and on...also, I'm a snob when it comes to my bed and linens, and I slept like a baby, it was sooo comfortable I wanted to move in :)!! It was the perfect finale to our trip!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!