On the whole a very unique place to visit. The resort itself is like something out of an architectural digest or gardening magazine piece. The resort is quite unique and distinctive and beautiful. The grounds were well manicured and full of all kinds of exotic and beautiful plants. The hot springs were very nice and fun to play and soak in and you can play in beautiful waterfalls surrounded by jungles. Great for fun and romance. Our room was roomy, well furnished and featured just about every amenity I could think of , even some umbrellas to use (which helped a lot while we were there). There were unique features such as wood arched doorways and marble tiled balcony flooring. They have an excellent small zoo featuring wild cats and monkeys at the property but you need to take a golf cart tram or a horseback ride or ride an ATV down the long winding path to get there (easily arranged through the hotel staff).
some disadvantages: resort is 3.5 km away from the main road on a curvy, hilly small road which makes getting to and from the resort for day trips more lengthy. I would not recommend this resort if you want to spend lots of time in and around La Fortuna or doing lots of day trip adventures as it is rather far from the town. The resort restaurants were good and reasonable but were not outstanding . Unless you are prepared to climb up and down at least 6 flights of stairs several times per day, would not suggest this resort as it is terraced into a long hillside. There is an elevator for the resort but it was out of order our entire visit. Also, do NOT expect to see the Arenal volcano which is visible only a minority of the time. We saw perhaps 75% of the extent of the volcano at a maximum during our four day stay. I was also disappointed to find out that the lava flows and eruptions have not been visible on the Springs resort side of the volcano for quite some time; so don't expect to see any exploding volcano action while you are hanging at the resort! The electricity was out for several hours on our last evening and early morning while we were there. I would suggest bringing a flashlight! This might be a more common occurence in less developed countries.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A world class luxury resort featuring spectacular Hot Springs, picture perfect views of the Arenal Volcano from every guest room and four restaurants including our famous Ginger Sushi Bar and Las Ventanas fine dining. Enjoy our 18 mineral-laden, artesian hot springs and our 14,000 square foot Spa and Fitness Center. On our exclusive 165 acre rain forest and riverfront property we offer horseback riding, river activities, ATV and hiking tours. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, BookingOdigeoWL, Venere, Priceline and Otel so you can book your The Springs Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Springs Resort And Spa At Arenal Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- The Springs Hotel
- The Springs Resort And Spa Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park